Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Tues April 19th) Last 32 !!

Postby Pedro147

gallantrabbit wrote:Think we're over-analyzing here to be honest. For me the only problem with the tables is the cloth which is too quick and means the pack splits too easily, so one angle on the black and the reds are everywhere. Because of this you lose a little craft, because previously you'd have to chip away. The pockets are not big, more like the tv cameras are a little deceptive and make them look big.
I do think though that we need good semis and the best players there. So yes, Robbo, Selby Ronnie and Judd need to be there or thereabouts.

This

Postby snucar

Pedro147 wrote:The table conditions have been poor though with quick bounces off the cushions that has caused players to lose position. If anything this has hampered breaking building, not aided it.

And who gains the most advantage if the breakbuilding goes down? The better player or the weaker?

Postby Pedro147

snucar wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:The table conditions have been poor though with quick bounces off the cushions that has caused players to lose position. If anything this has hampered breaking building, not aided it.

And who gains the most advantage if the breakbuilding goes down? The better player or the weaker?

It works the same for both. The weaker player who generally can't score as heavy struggles more than normal and the top player also struggles to score more than normal. Simples.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Hardly a convincing performance from Mark it has to be said. You could argue that he was fortunate not to have drawn one of the more impressive qualifiers this week, because he could very well have gone home, but a win is a win, as I expect from World No. 1.

Now, Robbo has to overcome his hurdle.

Postby snucar

Pedro147 wrote:
snucar wrote:

It works the same for both. The weaker player who generally can't score as heavy struggles more than normal and the top player also struggles to score more than normal. Simples.

It doesn't really work that way. If you've competed at any cue sport you should know better than that. This is the world championship, my friend. When you downgrade the one-visit winning player you certainly don't do the sport any favors. Do that stuff in the PTC events, not here.

Anyway, good to see Robbo restoring some of my faith in humanity.
Last edited by snucar on 19 Apr 2016, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Cue Guru

QSM wrote:Selby will get past Baird pretty easily. Milkins is a better player than Baird imo. Allen in the quarters then? I'd fancy Selby to win that one as well.

Did you envisage the seeds breezing through as well? rofl

Postby Andre147

snucar wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:
snucar wrote:

It doesn't really works that way. If you've competed at any cue sport you should know better than that. This is the world championship, my friend. When you downgrade the one-visit winning player you certainly don't do the sport any favors. Do that stuff in the PTC events, not here.

Anyway, good to see Robbo restoring some of my faith in humanity.

I agree Snucar, it levels the playing field, it gives lower ranked players more of a chance of competing.

One could argue it also gives the top players an advantage, but the lower ranked ones benefit a lot more than the others, that is a fact.

Postby QSM

Cue Guru wrote:
QSM wrote:Selby will get past Baird pretty easily. Milkins is a better player than Baird imo. Allen in the quarters then? I'd fancy Selby to win that one as well.

No not really. But I'm not biased because a pro-player happens to play in the same club/ on the same table as me.

Postby Cue Guru

snucar wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:
snucar wrote:

It doesn't really works that way. If you've competed at any cue sport you should know better than that. This is the world championship, my friend. When you downgrade the one-visit winning player you certainly don't do the sport any favors. Do that stuff in the PTC events, not here.

Anyway, good to see Robbo restoring some of my faith in humanity.[/quote

Pockets at the PTCs are tighter, it's all in reverse. See the tourneys at SWSA or Northern and you'll see true Star tables. I guess now though, after so many years of doing it, the pros know WS are gonna cut the pockets generous. Players who've practised on 3.25 or 3.3, whoever they may be will enjoy these tables. But the tables don't help the more tactically minded.

Judd will love these tables!

Postby Cue Guru

QSM wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:

No not really. But I'm not biased because a pro-player happens to play in the same club/ on the same table as me.

Who's that then?

Postby Andre147

Cheshire Cat wrote:Robbo: 62, 101 and (EDIT: 107)
Holt: 75, 140 and 115-ish, can't quite recall.

Stunning standard.

Agree, brilliant standard for a change here, by far the best we've seen so far. :hatoff:

Postby QSM

Cue Guru wrote:
QSM wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:

Who's that then?

Cue Guru wrote:We know how good he is, up close and on the same table. Many don't. The blade can pot em off other people's lampshades. Like you say, the nerves. It's the missing bit in his jigsaw.

Postby Cue Guru

QSM wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:
QSM wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:

Who's that then?

Cue Guru wrote:We know how good he is, up close and on the same table. Many don't. The blade can pot em off other people's lampshades. Like you say, the nerves. It's the missing bit in his jigsaw.

Coach?!

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Such a great longer potter Neil. Making the most difficult long balls looking so easy and potting them so clean as well.

Yeah, wins him many many frames when in trouble.

Holt isn't bottling the 3-0 lead he had, Robbo just doing what a champion does, respond to adversity. :hatoff:

Amazing standard so far in this match.