Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Qualifying Rnd 1 (April 6th-9

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Ronnie79 wrote:Right lads a bit of trivia for ye. With Robertson winning 10 zip. There has been 3 whitewashes in the World Champs in the crucible era. Including tonight 2 in qualies and 1 in the tournament proper at the cruci. Can you name the two other players to complete the whitewash and who were their opponents ?. No google now ladies !

Didn't Luca Brecel win 10-0 in the first round last year.

Postby PoolBoy

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:Right lads a bit of trivia for ye. With Robertson winning 10 zip. There has been 3 whitewashes in the World Champs in the crucible era. Including tonight 2 in qualies and 1 in the tournament proper at the cruci. Can you name the two other players to complete the whitewash and who were their opponents ?. No google now ladies !

He did indeed! And while I was 'checking' that, I noticed that Yu Delu also won 10-0 at the same stage.
I DID Google '10-0 World Snooker Championships' to see if there were any more and Peter Ebdon has done it, too.
It seems that the stat is a little inaccurate, but certainly the only 10-0 at the Crucible (or any whitewash there) is the 'famous' John Parrott 10-0 Eddie Charlton game of 1992. Parrott was the defending champion at the time, whereas Charlton was in his early-60s and a long-way past his competitive days - and it proved to be his last Crucible appearance.

Postby PoolBoy

N.B.
I notice that Lee Walker is 9-0 up in his qualifier against Conor McCormack - an amateur player from Northern Ireland. Could be another 10-0 coming up!
Meanwhile, Luca Brecel continues to frustrate! He's behind at the end of the session by 4-5 to Steven Hallworth.
With due respect to Hallworth, this is a decent enough draw for Luca - he should be beating players who are ranked around 100.
Still, it's only 'half-time', he might find some form when they resume.

Postby Wildey

kolompar wrote:Now that Igor is here it's the other Brazilian Itaro Santos missing. Good to see him back but he has a tough draw.

Itaro Santos and Igor was a waste of tour spots, between them they have played 5 matches including today and won 4 frames.

theres no point going globalization if a) players don't play and b) players are rubbish.

a good British Amateur could have made a go of those spots.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
kolompar wrote:Now that Igor is here it's the other Brazilian Itaro Santos missing. Good to see him back but he has a tough draw.

Itaro Santos and Igor was a waste of tour spots, between them they have played 5 matches including today and won 4 frames.

theres no point going globalization if a) players don't play and b) players are rubbish.

This is what makes me laugh about these people that bellyache that it's not a real world championship, just because there could be more countries represented. No point adding players who aren't up to much, just to fulfill some kind of quota on nationalities.

The World Championship should feature the best players in the world. If the best players in the world come from three or four different countries rather than 30 or 40, then so be it.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:

You're talking bullocks as usual there. Of course these guys should be there, it's the only way they'll get top level experience.

I'm all for these guys getting spots even if they are rubbish. The tour has been too UK-centric for far too long.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

You're talking bullocks as usual there. Of course these guys should be there, it's the only way they'll get top level experience.

I'm all for these guys getting spots even if they are rubbish. The tour has been too UK-centric for far too long.

bullocks how is it gaining experience if they don't play <doh>

Besides its a Pro Tour not bucking work experience they should make the hard graft and gain experience at Top level amateur level not fast tracked for bucking no point at all.

Postby SteveJJ

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

bullocks how is it gaining experience if they don't play <doh>

Besides its a Pro Tour not bucking work experience they should make the hard graft and gain experience at Top level amateur level not fast tracked for bucking no point at all.

Does anyone know if Santos' absence in this is down to funding like Igor?

It's a shame with Igor as he has shown glimpses that there is a good player there. I'll add Steve Mifsud as a wasted tour card. At least Santos and Igor have played.

Postby Wildey

Doesn't matter what the reason is fact remains they are on tour without much playing on it.

yes its a shame if Funding or visa issues affect them but i knew this time last year that neither would play much so why give them a tour card

Postby FDC

PoolBoy wrote:N.B.
I notice that Lee Walker is 9-0 up in his qualifier against Conor McCormack - an amateur player from Northern Ireland. Could be another 10-0 coming up!
Meanwhile, Luca Brecel continues to frustrate! He's behind at the end of the session by 4-5 to Steven Hallworth.
With due respect to Hallworth, this is a decent enough draw for Luca - he should be beating players who are ranked around 100.

According to an article in a Belgian newspaper, Brecel is ill.
Played more tournaments and had more travel than he is used to, and it has taken a physical toll.

Postby Cloud Strife

FDC wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:N.B.

According to an article in a Belgian newspaper, Brecel is ill.
Played more tournaments and had more travel than he is used to, and it has taken a physical toll.

7-4 down now. Not looking good.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Wildey wrote:Doesn't matter what the reason is fact remains they are on tour without much playing on it.

yes its a shame if Funding or visa issues affect them but i knew this time last year that neither would play much so why give them a tour card

I agree. For me it's not about the quality of the player, rather their commitment to playing. If they can't find an American or Australian that can play on tour full-time they should give the card to a Q School top-up player.

Postby vodkadiet

PoolBoy wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

He did indeed! And while I was 'checking' that, I noticed that Yu Delu also won 10-0 at the same stage.
I DID Google '10-0 World Snooker Championships' to see if there were any more and Peter Ebdon has done it, too.
It seems that the stat is a little inaccurate, but certainly the only 10-0 at the Crucible (or any whitewash there) is the 'famous' John Parrott 10-0 Eddie Charlton game of 1992. Parrott was the defending champion at the time, whereas Charlton was in his early-60s and a long-way past his competitive days - and it proved to be his last Crucible appearance.

John Parrott also won 10-0 in World Championship qualifying in 1984. Against Clive Everton of all people! And i thought Parrott was an Everton supporter!

Steve Davis was a Charlton supporter, but it stop him beating Eddie Charlton many times, including in the 1983 quarter finals... It wasn't a whitewash though! It was 13-5 if memory serves.