Post a reply

Re: Baic Motor China Open Last 128, Wild Card Round and Last

Postby Cheshire Cat

Trump could use all the walkovers he could get right now. Such a poor season he's had.

Anthony McGill again failing to impress. I had high hopes when I saw him take on Ronnie at the UK in 2014 and then defeat Selby at the Worlds, but that's looking like it was just a one-time wonder right now.

Sad to see Ali lose. It's a big opportunity for everyone left in the draw, with many of the big names out and possibly more to follow.

Postby PoolBoy

Dan-cat wrote:Who's the bookie's fave for this now? Trumpet?

Yeah, Trump is bookies favourite ahead of Higgins and Murphy....

Mixed fortunes for two young Scottish players this morning.

Anthony McGill has lost to Jimmy Robertson, 5-3. It's been a disappointing season for 'Ants' - he just hasn't got-going. No guarantee he'll negotiate 3 rounds of qualifying to reach the Crucible.

But, Rhys Clark has won 5-4 against Mark Davis!
Despite being from Scotland, I can't pretend I know a lot about him! Looking up his record, this is the first time he's made the last-32 of a ranking tournament. And, I'd imagine Mark Davis is his biggest win so far. (He may have taken a bigger scalp in a PTC event, but not sure).

However, for 'Dark Mavis', it's home to prepare for qualifying for the Crucible. It's going to be brutal with so many established players in the draw!

Postby hendry_fan

Whats up with Ants McGill!,he really has been pants since he beat Selbs at the worlds.

But as PoolBoy wrote,Rhys Clark won his match,recordin one of his best wins so far.

He,s only 21,so plenty time on his hands. <ok>

Postby Dan-cat

hendry_fan wrote:Whats up with Ants McGill!,he really has been pants since he beat Selbs at the worlds.

But as PoolBoy wrote,Rhys Clark won his match,recordin one of his best wins so far.

Ants McPants!

Postby hendry_fan

Dan-cat wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:Whats up with Ants McGill!,he really has been pants since he beat Selbs at the worlds.

Ants McPants!

<laugh>

I,m sure Ants won,t find it funny though,bout time he got his act together,who knows,maybe he,ll be world champ this year. :-D

Postby stateofwonder

Cheshire Cat wrote:Both Ebdon and Gould 4-0 down. Some seriously poor performances in this tournament.

Caught the end of Bingham's 143, good stuff.
Fu 4-1 up.
At least some of the top players are stepping up.

I really wish I could have seen how Martin Gould managed to get himself whitewashed by a 15-year old. Do you think it's the jet lag? Flying east always gives more of a problem than in the other direction

Postby Cheshire Cat

stateofwonder wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote:Both Ebdon and Gould 4-0 down. Some seriously poor performances in this tournament.

Fu 4-1 up.

I really wish I could have seen how Martin Gould managed to get himself whitewashed by a 15-year old. Do you think it's the jet lag? Flying east always gives more of a problem than in the other direction

Holy fleck, the kid looks like 10. Made breaks of 51, 102 and 55. Gould doesn't have seemed to have made a break above 50, despite having chances in every frame.

Could definitely be the travelling, but I think the top players should still be able to produce regardless of travelling.

Postby PoolBoy

Can't blame jet-lag. Other UK players have performed despite travelling on the same flight.
Gould has even had a day more to 'acclimatise'.
I mean, yesterday we had:

Ding Junhui 1-5 Lee Walker
Liang Wenbo 2-5 Peter Lines

Two 'journeyman' UK professionals wiping-the-floor with China's top 2 players, in China.
It would be disrespectful to the Chinese amateur youngster to suggest that he had an advantage over Gould.

Postby stateofwonder

PoolBoy wrote:Can't blame jet-lag. Other UK players have performed despite travelling on the same flight.

Two 'journeyman' UK professionals wiping-the-floor with China's top 2 players, in China.
It would be disrespectful to the Chinese amateur youngster to suggest that he had an advantage over Gould.

No, you mistake my meaning. I think it's great and amazing that such a young man can beat top players, and certainly not suggesting he's had an advantage over Gould. I was simply mystified about why Gould played so badly that he couldn't make a break over 50 in the entire match. I was bemoaning the fact I couldn't see the live action.

Postby Gridlock

Cheshire Cat wrote:
stateofwonder wrote:

Fu 4-1 up.

Holy fleck, the kid looks like 10. Made breaks of 51, 102 and 55. Gould doesn't have seemed to have made a break above 50, despite having chances in every frame.

Could definitely be the travelling, but I think the top players should still be able to produce regardless of travelling.

I believe a while back there was question whether Gouldy could fly any distance due to an inner ear problem.

Postby Dan-cat

PoolBoy wrote:Can't blame jet-lag. Other UK players have performed despite travelling on the same flight.

Jet lag can get you.Yes you can blame jet lag - because it can affect you differently on different journeys. I've travelled with a mate before who managed to sleep the whole way - he arrived all fresh, I however didn't and was buggered for a couple of days