Post a reply

Re: China Open Last 128 !!

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:Following China Open qualifiers, Stuart Bingham is our new World Number 1...... LOLZ http://www.prosnookerblog.com/rankings/ ... -rankings/

This is the rankings following the china open qualifiers http://www.prosnookerblog.com/rankings/ ... eedings-2/

Selby still no 1

The list you are looking at is the end of season after the world championship list.

with 5 events and 675,000 points to play for anyone on tour could be no 1 after the WC. if they win everything and hope bingham loses a few first rounds that it.

Postby Cloud Strife

Smart wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Rather bizarre prize money structure there.

IN what WAY bizarre MIGHT i ASK ??? :chin:

Don't you just hate it when you ask a question and people don't bother replying to it?

Replying to questions should be made mandatory, IMO.

Postby Smart

Cloud Strife wrote:
Smart wrote:

Don't you just hate it when you ask a question and people don't bother replying to it?

I'VE NOT SLEPT OR MOVED FROM THIS THREAD SINCE I ASKED THAT QUESTION.....I AM WAITING TILL IT DOES GETS ANSWERED. JUST THE WAY I WAS BUILT. I ASK, I EXPECT. THATS ME, OLD FASHIONED. :xmas1:

Postby Sickpotter

Smart wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Smart wrote:

I'VE NOT SLEPT OR MOVED FROM THIS THREAD SINCE I ASKED THAT QUESTION.....I AM WAITING TILL IT DOES GETS ANSWERED. JUST THE WAY I WAS BUILT. I ASK, I EXPECT. THATS ME, OLD FASHIONED. :xmas1:

TBH I thought the payout structure a little odd but that's what happens when you try to spread out the dough. I know people want the lower ranked players to at least cover their expenses but I think 4k is a bit much for winning one match.

Most events I've played in have a payout structure where once you reach the money, each round you progress doubles your payout.

With this event you make last 32 and it's worth an extra 2500 but only an extra 1500 for making last 16? That just seems off.

Just my take on it though, others may have a different reason they thought it an odd structure.

Postby Cloud Strife

Smart wrote:How much of the 4K would be eaten up by airfare alone to China ?? I'd guess at 1500. Throw in 1 week of hotel @ 80/night, then some spending money......

Yeah, the prossies and visits to strip clubs / massage parlours won't pay for themselves.

Postby snooky147

Smart wrote:How much of the 4K would be eaten up by airfare alone to China ?? I'd guess at 1500. Throw in 1 week of hotel @ 80/night, then some spending money......

Dont forget the 20% tax the chinese take off all prize money so that 4k is really £3200, less airfare. The hotel is paid for until the day you are beaten so, depending on when your return flight is booked you may have to pay that too. Its 5 star hotels btw so more than £80 a night.
Oh and don't forget the MINIMUM TEN WEEK WAIT before you see a penny of that prize money.

Postby snooky147

Sickpotter wrote:
Smart wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Smart wrote:

TBH I thought the payout structure a little odd but that's what happens when you try to spread out the dough. I know people want the lower ranked players to at least cover their expenses but I think 4k is a bit much for winning one match.

Most events I've played in have a payout structure where once you reach the money, each round you progress doubles your payout.

With this event you make last 32 and it's worth an extra 2500 but only an extra 1500 for making last 16? That just seems off.

Just my take on it though, others may have a different reason they thought it an odd structure.

I would say considering everything 4k is about right for the first match but the rest of the prize money structure is because Hearn wants the winner to get far more.

Postby Cloud Strife

snooky147 wrote:

Dont forget the 20% tax the chinese take off all prize money so that 4k is really £3200, less airfare. The hotel is paid for until the day you are beaten so, depending on when your return flight is booked you may have to pay that too. Its 5 star hotels btw so more than £80 a night.
Oh and don't forget the MINIMUM TEN WEEK WAIT before you see a penny of that prize money.

They should follow the Tennis model where players get a cheque to take away with them as soon as they get knocked out in a tournament.

Postby Master Blaster

I would have gone for Allen but he's out so I'll go for Trump to win this title :shock: He's due one. Not sure about Robbo, if he will have recovered his full confidence for China. Selby too, will be hurt.

Postby PoolBoy

For the love of god, lets get things in perspective. It was the Welsh Open....
Not the Grand Prix. Not The PTC Finals. Not the China Open.........The 60K Welsh.
Grand Prix and the PTC Finals are bigger and come before this one.,,,the 85k China Open.
Selby lost a game, Robbo lost a game. It's no big deal, they're human.

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:For the love of god, lets get things in perspective. It was the Welsh Open....
Not the Grand Prix. Not The PTC Finals. Not the China Open.........The 60K Welsh.
Grand Prix and the PTC Finals are bigger and come before this one.,,,the 85k China Open.

I had a good time in Cardiff, to be fair. <ok>

Postby Master Blaster

PoolBoy wrote:For the love of god, lets get things in perspective. It was the Welsh Open....

How does the grand prix count more than the welsh simply because of the prize fund. The grand prix has a money list qualification rather than a proper 128 qualification and it won't feature ROS from what some are saying. The Welsh was a proper open, a national tournament and it did have ROS. It's worth twice as much kudos to me as a result. Will the essex cockwomble be in attendance?

Postby PoolBoy

A competition has no more prestige depending on whether Ronnie enters it or not!
Snooker existed before he came along and will do so after he's gone. There are no (*)'s next to the winners name in the record books indicating that Ronnie hadn't entered that tournament.

Regarding prize money - I feel the prize pot is a reflection of where each tournament ranks in the hierarchy of events. Obviously some are more important than others. The World Championships pays out the most, followed by the UK right down to the PTCs paying the least:
World Championship £300k
UK £150k
International £125k
Grand Prix £100k
Players Championship £100k
Shanghai £85k
China £85k
German Masters £60k
Welsh Open £60k
Australian £37.5k
Euro PTCs £18.75k
Asian PTCs £13.5k

Postby Master Blaster

PoolBoy wrote:A competition has no more prestige depending on whether Ronnie enters it or not!
Snooker existed before he came along and will do so after he's gone. There are no (*)'s next to the winners name in the record books indicating that Ronnie hadn't entered that tournament.

Regarding prize money - I feel the prize pot is a reflection of where each tournament ranks in the hierarchy of events. Obviously some are more important than others. The World Championships pays out the most, followed by the UK right down to the PTCs paying the least:
World Championship £300k
UK £150k
International £125k
Grand Prix £100k
Players Championship £100k
Shanghai £85k
China £85k
German Masters £60k
Welsh Open £60k
Australian £37.5k
Euro PTCs £18.75k
Asian PTCs £13.5k

You say this but everyone knows without Ronnie a tournament will have lower viewing figures and less interest and less ticket sales. So in the public's eye the tournament certainly does have more prestige if Ronnie plays. But this is normal because as Davis said, he's the first person to transcend the sport and be bigger than it. Once he goes, snooker continues but the light of the snooker universe will have diminished and the sport will be much darker.

Postby MarkoPiet

This doesn't really belong to this thread but I let the regular faces create the last 64 thread. In addition to Mark Selby, Adam Duffy has withdrawn (ill - see his tweet) and Robin Hull will withdraw too. He's got a chickenpox and he isn't allowed to fly to Beijing.

A shame Hull can't play, his luck is already beyond ridiculous. Because of withdrawing he won't get the 4,000 pounds he earned, which is a shame too - his tour place should be safe but the premises for the next season will be more difficult. I understand why there's such a rule but it's a shame nevertheless. Let's keep fingers crossed for a third consecutive Crucible appearance.

Postby PoolBoy

Shame for them both. It does however answer a question for me. I often wondered whether 'amateur' players actually received prize money. It seems they obviously do. So, perhaps the term 'amateur' is wrong - in its strictest form. Even Snooker.org has a small '(a)' after their names, indicating amateur....but non-tour player, would be more accurate.