Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Semi Finals !!!

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Very quiet on here today.

I'm sure it will be more lively this evening

You can be sure of that.

I will get hate for saying this, but Ronnie is bigger than the sport. He's the only superstar in snooker right now. The other players need to step it up, or new players have to come, cause the only one really worth watching these days is Ronnie. i hope players like Ding and Luca will improve and show us something special in the future..

I think you're spot on in your assessment there, and it doesn't please me to say that.

As fan of the sport, I'd love to see other stars emerge that are on the same level of popularity as Ronnie.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

You can be sure of that.

I will get hate for saying this, but Ronnie is bigger than the sport. He's the only superstar in snooker right now. The other players need to step it up, or new players have to come, cause the only one really worth watching these days is Ronnie. i hope players like Ding and Luca will improve and show us something special in the future..

I think you're spot on in your assessment there, and it doesn't please me to say that.

As fan of the sport, I'd love to see other stars emerge that are on the same level of popularity as Ronnie.

He is not bigger than the Sport that's just fan-boyish crap and it pains me to say that about a poster i respect on here.

yes he is box office and yes he is by miles the best player in the world but hes not unbeatable its worrying that players dont get inspired by him to play better against him.

Ronnie, Hendry, Davis, Higgins played better against better players that what makes them greats.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I didn't say Ronnie is unbeatable. I'm just saying that without Ronnie the sport would have trouble finding sponsors, selling tickets and getting people to watch it on tv these days.

Just look at this forum for example. Everybodys talking about Ronnie all the time. The haters talk even more about him than the fans.

When MJW, Hendry, John Higgins, Paul Hunter and others were around and playing great there was such a high standard, so many great matches... These days the players that should be producing high standard snooker do not produce it very often...

I love snooker, but these days Ronnie is the only one who puts bums on seats. That's what I mean when i say he's bigger tan the sport.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:I didn't say Ronnie is unbeatable. I'm just saying that without Ronnie the sport would have trouble finding sponsors, selling tickets and getting people to watch it on tv these days.

Just look at this forum for example. Everybodys talking about Ronnie all the time. The haters talk even more about him than the fans.

When MJW, Hendry, John Higgins, Paul Hunter and others were around and playing great there was such a high standard, so many great matches... These days the players that should be producing high standard snooker do not produce it very often...

I love snooker, but these days Ronnie is the only one who puts bums on seats. That's what I mean when i say he's bigger tan the sport.

that's inaccurate because the sport does very well without Ronnie it has to because hes not playing much

Postby Muppet147

Holden Chinaski wrote:I didn't say Ronnie is unbeatable. I'm just saying that without Ronnie the sport would have trouble finding sponsors, selling tickets and getting people to watch it on tv these days.

Wild laid into me about a month ago when I said the recent results didn't really count as Ronnie had not taken part in the tournaments. Since then, Ronnie has started playing again and is yet to be beaten.

I expect Ronnie to win this one (okay, it's only a Mickey Mouse Welsh tournament but they all count) and go on to lift the World Championship yet again in May.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

You can be sure of that.

He is not bigger than the Sport that's just fan-boyish crap and it pains me to say that about a poster i respect on here.

yes he is box office and yes he is by miles the best player in the world but hes not unbeatable its worrying that players dont get inspired by him to play better against him.

Ronnie, Hendry, Davis, Higgins played better against better players that what makes them greats.

It's not about being unbeatable or not. Of course he's, like every other player is. It's about his massive popularity, the crowd he's always bringing in and being the key factor to make Snooker popular all over the World. With the expection of the UK (for obvious reasons as the UK is motherland of Snooker) Snooker has merged with Ronnie O'Sullivan basicially.

If you find people outside the UK who know Snooker, many of them will tell you that ROS has brought them into this sport. And the fact that he created so many great moments.

Nevertheless it's wrong to say that ROS is bigger than the game. No question about that and I'll always oppose this statement. Without Ronnie O'Sullivan Snooker would be a lot poorer yes, but without Snooker Ronnie would be nothing.

Postby Wildey

him not playing in Germany did not affect attendances.

Other players can fill the void and will fill the void when Ronnie packs it in...its called evolution and nothing will stop that happening.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:him not playing in Germany did not affect attendances.

Other players can fill the void and will fill the void when Ronnie packs it in...its called evolution and nothing will stop that happening.

Yes the sport will survive. But it will have a hard time, and it'ss in desperate need for some new talent, or some present talent getting their finger out. Even when Ronnie doesn't enter a tournament, he's not retired and is still in the game wich keeps people interested in the game.

Postby Muppet147

I fear for the game if Ronnie retires. It could go back to those Dark Ages when Hendry was winning everything and no one bothered to tune in.

Postby Cloud Strife

Muppet147 wrote:

I fear for the game if Ronnie retires. It could go back to those Dark Ages when Hendry was winning everything and no one bothered to tune in.

That would be terrible. I might have to go back to not watching if that happened again.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Yes the sport will survive. But it will have a hard time, and it'ss in desperate need for some new talent, or some present talent getting their finger out. Even when Ronnie doesn't enter a tournament, he's not retired and is still in the game wich keeps people interested in the game.

i don't think that's right and you are underestimating the popularity of snooker.

i thought that When Alex fell off the tour but i matured enough to realize Snooker is whats popular and for a few years players are guarding the sport for future generations to thrive with.

and today's game is the legacy Alex left this sport with.

Postby Holden Chinaski

When Alex fell off the tour there was Jimmy White, Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry... After that came John Higgins, MJW, Ronnie...

When Ronnie retires who will we have?

I'm not saying the sport will die. But it will have a hard time. The sport needs bigger personalities. More talent. Ronnie is the one selling tickets these days.