Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Quarter Finals !!!

Postby Goldenballs147

What an amazing performance by Ronnie in that last frame. The green to the middle at pace followed by the long red and then the long blue were just sensational. There literally is no comparison between 2016 Ronnie beating Selby so comfortably and 2015 Ronnie getting put out of the Welsh Open by Matthew Stevens.

It's like he's had a personality transplant as well. Last year he was moaning about the arena being like a shopping mall AND an aircraft carrier.
Last edited by Goldenballs147 on 19 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby LC

Surprised at the ease he beat selby, I keep expecting him to lose and still it wouldn't surprise me if he lost to perry or woolaston, after all he lost to carrington not that long ago

Postby Andre147

LC wrote:Surprised at the ease he beat selby, I keep expecting him to lose and still it wouldn't surprise me if he lost to perry or woolaston, after all he lost to carrington not that long ago

You cant possily make such a silly comparison as it was the qualifiers, total diferent atmosphere, no cameras involved, nothing.

Even Robbo was way worse losing to Ashley Huggill.

Postby Cheshire Cat

I said it yesterday but Robbo will be gunning for Ronnie, especially now. Robbo has made it clear he would love to face Ronnie in a ranking final and I think Ronnie wants a go too, after getting thrashed by Robbo 6-0 at the Masters the other year. There are other contenders left of course, but let's be frank, a Robbo v Ronnie final is long overdue.

Postby Cheshire Cat

eraserhead wrote:

Ronnie's 132, that green red and blue! :D

What impresses me is how un-fussed he is about it. You almost expect him to pot these now. The green to the middle at pace is ridiculous, even to just give himself a shot on that red to corner.

Postby Cheshire Cat

If Ronnie were to win this tournament, the obligatory 'compilation of his best shots' video on Youtube might as well be every single frame that Ronnie has won. It'll be like 2 or 3 hours long. <laugh>

Postby PLtheRef

To be honest I know I went for a close win for O'Sullivan in the prediction contest but a comprehensive 5-1 win doesn't seem that surprising given the way he is playing.

Just three frames conceded en route to the Semi-Finals. I wonder whether that is a record for a ranking event? - I know Steve Davis conceded eight in winning the 1984 Jamesons International.

Postby Master Blaster

Cheshire Cat wrote:I said it yesterday but Robbo will be gunning for Ronnie, especially now. Robbo has made it clear he would love to face Ronnie in a ranking final and I think Ronnie wants a go too, after getting thrashed by Robbo 6-0 at the Masters the other year. There are other contenders left of course, but let's be frank, a Robbo v Ronnie final is long overdue.

The Renaissance of Ronnie (is it mk IV or V yet?) is in part down to copying Judd and Robbo. It's strange but you could say that they've given his game a new lease of life. He's always adjusting this and that and has throughout his career. He plays nothing like the 6min maxi now. He has learnt to adjust his grip and his potting both short and long has improved, his power and accuracy are up. And that's the mark of a great champion, to constantly seek improvement.

In '72 Ray Reardon saw the young Alex lift the crown and locked himself in a room for six months to learn these 'new' shots. Six world titles and it was worth it. I'm surprised Ronnie has taken so long to learn from Robbo/Judd but he's older now than Ray was then and when you nearly 40, do you really need to learn new tricks or just be happy with what you have? Higgins, Williams, they trotting on with what they've played with. Ronnie, he has NEW WEAPONS NOW!

He's up there with the firecrackers on long potting, and he's a better and more natural break-builder, decision maker and he has better touch.

This is the day the anti-Ron brigade never wanted to see. If he stays fit he can go on and dominate like Joe Davis, deep into his 50s.

:mosh2: :dance2:

Postby Cheshire Cat

'O'Sullivan also marched into the last four as he annihilated world number one Selby 5-1 in convincing fashion despite often electing to take riskier options.' "I just didn't care. If I miss, great, go on Mark, get in, clear up and we'll get on with the next one."

It sounds confident, but I thought it was worth pointing out that this just shows you how much respect Ronnie has for Mark, expecting him to clear up whenever he got in. No shame in Mark losing, Ronnie was fired up for this just like he was at the Masters.

Postby Andy Spark

Holden Chinaski wrote:Watching Ronnie play at his best is just mind boggling. It's just unbelievable anyone can play like that. The man is 40 years old ffs..

As a man who is almost 39 I would point out that Phil Taylor was still the best in the world (at darts) at 50! :-)

Postby Master Blaster

Andy Spark wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Watching Ronnie play at his best is just mind boggling. It's just unbelievable anyone can play like that. The man is 40 years old ffs..

As a man who is almost 39 I would point out that Phil Taylor was still the best in the world (at darts) at 50! :-)

True, but Taylor didn't have to bend over a table and cooridinate his body in a prostrate position. He'd have struggled on a snooker table at any age.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ronnie already thinking about playing Robbo in the final:

“I’ve got a chance (of the title), it would be ridiculous to say otherwise, but Neil Robertson is the all round professional now. He’s like Steve Davis was in the eighties and Hendry was in the nineties: very disciplined and wanting to set a benchmark as far as his legacy. You’ve got to play out of your skin to beat him.”

http://www.worldsnooker.com/superb-osul ... ers-selby/

Postby Wildey

Did not see any of the action today but Ronnie swatted away Selby like a fly by all acounts Selby had 2 chances and made a 70+ and a 60+ and only won 1 frame thats awesome snooker.

it will take a superhuman effort to stop him only Neil Robertson has it in him to have any chance.

Postby Vallomas

I was quite sure that Ronnie woulf beat Selby easily, although the third frame was crucial for this 5-1. If Selby could complete the steal, the game would be diffirent, but still difficult for him, as ROS looked very comfortable all the time around the table.

I don't think that Perry or Woollaston can threaten Ronnie in this form. Even Robertson, who is the favorite for the final against either Allen or White, will have to bring his A game to have a chance.

Another very good thing was Ding's 147, which I hope that will give him confidence to win one of the forthcoming tournaments and stay on top 16 before the World Championship. Both the early matches were of high quality and I hope the same for the rest of today -not very optimistic for this, though.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:Did not see any of the action today but Ronnie swatted away Selby like a fly by all acounts Selby had 2 chances and made a 70+ and a 60+ and only won 1 frame thats awesome snooker.

it will take a superhuman effort to stop him only Neil Robertson has it in him to have any chance.

Yep. You just can't play better than Ronnie did today. Only Robbo can stop him, but i doubt it.

Postby Master Blaster

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie already thinking about playing Robbo in the final:

“I’ve got a chance (of the title), it would be ridiculous to say otherwise, but Neil Robertson is the all round professional now. He’s like Steve Davis was in the eighties and Hendry was in the nineties: very disciplined and wanting to set a benchmark as far as his legacy. You’ve got to play out of your skin to beat him.”

http://www.worldsnooker.com/superb-osul ... ers-selby/

Well, Woolaston/Perry would be tought test so I'm sure he won't be gettin too far ahead of himself. You have a bad patch in this tournament and you can be out fast.

Let's hope he wins the title and the 60k (now that Ding has the high break prize, poor Ronnie rofl) so that we see can him at the World Grand Prix, or it will be along wait till the Worlds.