Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Last 128!!!!!

Postby LC

Yeah it's dissapointing for the fans but in a way this is more memorable because 147s are pretty run of the mill nowadays, so this is going to stand out more, plus Ronnie probably does things like this for attention he loves to be talked about, even tho he try's to play things down in interviews

Postby Cheshire Cat

Dale did indeed say that. After the first or second frame he just came out and said 'young players from China, they're not like British players. Snooker has a rich history in Britain. Young players from China don't know anything about the tactics of the game, they don't know anything about the game really.' <laugh>

Postby AC or LT?

LC wrote:Yeah it's dissapointing for the fans but in a way this is more memorable because 147s are pretty run of the mill nowadays, so this is going to stand out more, plus Ronnie probably does things like this for attention he loves to be talked about, even tho he try's to play things down in interviews

It's more than that. If you look at the prize money for a 147 when he started it was an awful lot more than it is these days. If a young and up and coming player outside of the top 64 made a maximum they could a killing off it, deservedly so, and anyone who doesn't think that's needed to get ahead in the game is naive. I think their was a stage when you got £147,000 for a maximum, whilst nobodies expecting that you'd expect the prize to be in the £25-40k range at the least. Maximums are not walks in the park and the sport need to value them.

Postby PLtheRef

Very poor form IMO from O'Sullivan in not going for the maximum essentially out of spite.

I know he hasn't done anything against the rules but to not go for the 147 and essentially admit that he has done it deliberately is rather insulting for the sport, the sponsors, but most importantly the fans who paid to watch him this afternoon and for those to whom £12,000 is a great deal of money. Not many are as fortunate to be in the position of turning down 12 grand as relative pittance.

I genuinely would love it if someone other than O'Sullivan makes a 147 and pinch the £2,000 high break prize from him.
Last edited by PLtheRef on 15 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

Evening all. Not going to pay too much attention to this until Wednesday but might as well catch one match.

Anything interesting happen today results wise (I'm already vaguely aware of the 146 thing)?

Postby Holden Chinaski

PLtheRef wrote:Very poor form IMO from O'Sullivan in not going for the maximum essentially out of spite.

I know he hasn't done anything against the rules but to not go for the 147 and essentially admit that he has done it deliberately is rather insulting for the sport, the sponsors, but most importantly the fans who paid to watch him this afternoon and for those to whom £12,000 is a great deal of money.

I genuinely would love it if someone other than O'Sullivan makes a 147 and pinch the £2,000 high break prize from him.

The sponsors and the sport in general have nothing to complain about. They are all making big money off of Ronnie. He puts bums in seats. He puts snooker in the papers. They would all be making a lot less money without Ronnie. Maybe this is why he thinks that he and all other players should get more money for making a maxi.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Skullman wrote:Evening all. Not going to pay too much attention to this until Wednesday but might as well catch one match.

Anything interesting happen today results wise (I'm already vaguely aware of the 146 thing)?

You missed an incredible match between Mark Williams and Lyu Chenwei.

Probably one of the worst games you could ever wish to see televised in recent times. You also missed Willie Thorne tearing Lyu apart something serious - apparently the kid has 'clincher's disease' because he bottled the final frame.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:There going to be another match after this, or does it depend how long it goes?

I think Trump's on after Higgins. It should be streamed online, at the very least.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Very poor form IMO from O'Sullivan in not going for the maximum essentially out of spite.

I know he hasn't done anything against the rules but to not go for the 147 and essentially admit that he has done it deliberately is rather insulting for the sport, the sponsors, but most importantly the fans who paid to watch him this afternoon and for those to whom £12,000 is a great deal of money.

The sponsors and the sport in general have nothing to complain about. They are all making big money off of Ronnie. He puts bums in seats. He puts snooker in the papers. They would all be making a lot less money without Ronnie. Maybe this is why he thinks that he and all other players should get more money for making a maxi.

I think people are missing the point.

It's not that he got a 146 that bothers people. It's his comments about £10,000 being nothing.

In a society where food bank useage is at it's highest, where people are breaking their backs to get paid minimum wage, where politicians are robbing the honest taxpayer, he comes out and complains about getting paid ten grand for what is, in essence, one frames worth of work.

Not whether he potted a pink or a black in a match.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:There going to be another match after this, or does it depend how long it goes?

I think Trump's on after Higgins. It should be streamed online, at the very least.

Remind me who Trump is playing?

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Remind me who Trump is playing?

Michael Leslie.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

It's not that he got a 146 that bothers people. It's his comments about £10,000 being nothing.

In a society where food bank useage is at it's highest, where people are breaking their backs to get paid minimum wage, where politicians are robbing the honest taxpayer, he comes out and complains about getting paid ten grand for what is, in essence, one frames worth of work.

None of these things are Ronnie's fault to be fair, especially the politicians ripping off the taxpayers. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

None of these things are Ronnie's fault to be fair, especially the politicians ripping off the taxpayers. rofl

I'm not saying it is. Course I aint. I'm saying his comments were ill-advised, and in today's climate will snake hiss people off.

To be honest though, this is just Ronnie. I sense we might run the risk of discussing this all week, rather than actually enjoying the snooker.

Not that this Higgins match will last long. He's gonna win 4-0.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Snookerfan, snooker players are not the problem. They don't cause poverty.

Blame the banks, big companies llike Shell, Exxon, .... Even football players make a lot more money than Ronnie.

I think what Ronnie is saying is that the sponsors are making shitloads of money and more of that should go to the players..

Postby Andy Spark

Holden Chinaski wrote:The sponsors and the sport in general have nothing to complain about. They are all making big money off of Ronnie. He puts bums in seats. He puts snooker in the papers. They would all be making a lot less money without Ronnie. Maybe this is why he thinks that he and all other players should get more money for making a maxi.

Yes, there have already been a lot of articles written about it from sources that would maybe not comment on just another 147. Ronnie is an artist and I think one refusal to make a 147 like this is artistic - two refusals would annoy me a bit and would be less artistic.