Post a reply

Re: 918.Com German Masters Final !!

Postby QSM

Dan-cat wrote:I literally only saw Gouldy-balls lift the trophy, it was the first time I'd had a minute to watch and it was all over.

Any decent matches I should recap?

Selby vs Maguire and Trump vs Gould were probably the 2 best televised matches. They were pretty good but nothing special.

Postby LC

Not really snooker is what it is they all play to an unbelievable standard some more than others, but for any sport to be vibrant you need people who are a bit different from each other, some reason you want your player to win more than another, it could be there personality or there style of play, I rarely watch a match as a neutral, I was rooting for Luca he's got a good style of play and is good to watch, not the semi or final but at times he is excellent

Postby Dan-cat

I've become acquainted with a 26 year old Belgium girl recently, and I told her I was off to watch Ronnie in the the Masters, fully expecting to have to explain what snooker is. 'Do you know Luca?' she responded 'yes of course!' I said. 'well Ronnie came over to play him in some exhibitions, it was a big deal here'

Pretty cool that he is that well known in his home country, thanks to the Eurosport coverage no doubt.

Postby Gridlock

Have you got any ideas to make snooker more exciting. Do you think it needs pepping up with some noise, girls, crowd involvement? What would you change?[/quote]

Isn't that what the Shootout is for? !

Postby FDC

Dan-cat wrote:I've become acquainted with a 26 year old Belgium girl recently, and I told her I was off to watch Ronnie in the the Masters, fully expecting to have to explain what snooker is. 'Do you know Luca?' she responded 'yes of course!' I said. 'well Ronnie came over to play him in some exhibitions, it was a big deal here'

Pretty cool that he is that well known in his home country, thanks to the Eurosport coverage no doubt.

Nope, eurosport is a niche here.
When Luca was younger and played exhibitions vs. O'Sullivan, Taylor etc it was sometimes mentioned in "Sportweekend". Sunday evening sports half-hour right after the news, one of the most viewed shows (plus website Sporza.be).

What would help the breakthrough is World Snooker not asking for crazy prices to show excerpts of games.
When Luca was doing well in Sheffield, VRT wanted to show the game live or in extended summary, but the prices were way too high.

Postby QSM

FDC wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I've become acquainted with a 26 year old Belgium girl recently, and I told her I was off to watch Ronnie in the the Masters, fully expecting to have to explain what snooker is. 'Do you know Luca?' she responded 'yes of course!' I said. 'well Ronnie came over to play him in some exhibitions, it was a big deal here'

Nope, eurosport is a niche here.
When Luca was younger and played exhibitions vs. O'Sullivan, Taylor etc it was sometimes mentioned in "Sportweekend". Sunday evening sports half-hour right after the news, one of the most viewed shows (plus website Sporza.be).

What would help the breakthrough is World Snooker not asking for crazy prices to show excerpts of games.
When Luca was doing well in Sheffield, VRT wanted to show the game live or in extended summary, but the prices were way too high.

+ Snooker is a C-sport in Belgium, there is no real interest in it and even Luca doing well won't really change that. The only hope I have is Luca becoming WC, I think that could make the sport grow over here, but even then it'll be limited.

Edit: and just after I wrote this I see Luca is a headline on the main sports website. :emb: :emb: (fyi: title= O'Sullivan calls me the Roger Federer of snooker, and it says that Ronnie has spoken with Luca and he wants to give him some advice on his technique, he wants to try to amend some shortcomings in Luca's game)

Postby Holden Chinaski

QSM wrote:Edit: and just after I wrote this I see Luca is a headline on the main sports website. :emb: :emb: (fyi: title= O'Sullivan calls me the Roger Federer of snooker, and it says that Ronnie has spoken with Luca and he wants to give him some advice on his technique, he wants to try to amend some shortcomings in Luca's game)

<ok>

Postby Dan-cat

Interesting QSM and FDC, thank you. Maybe she knows about him because he's a pretty handsome young dude and he's been featured in the magazines or similar... I might ask her for more info.

I said to her in my experience he's a bit impetuous, rushes his saftery shots etc and she said 'yeah that sounds like him' hehe.

Although from what I've read on here about this tournament he's brushing up in this area. I didn't see a single shot though have been travelling.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I'm from Belgium as well. We read about Luca in the papers and see him on Belgian tv sometimes. But snooker is not that big here. Most people only know Ronnie and Luca and maybe Hendry.

Postby kolompar

SnookerFan wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:

What were the certain comments?.

"Chizzy" is Dave Chisnall,he,s currently world nr 10.

He basically sent me a PM saying he'd noticed one of the females on my friends listed, and enquired if it would be alright to ask her out.

For real? <laugh> Did you help him?

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:For real? <laugh> Did you help him?

Of course I bucking didn't. She wasn't even somebody I knew that well.

I refused, and he was like; "Sorry, it was just a thought...." :roll:

Postby kolompar

SnookerFan wrote:
kolompar wrote:For real? <laugh> Did you help him?

Of course I bucking didn't. She wasn't even somebody I knew that well.

I refused, and he was like; "Sorry, it was just a thought...." :roll:

Poor Gouldy, you should have helped him. What was he thinking though? Trying to pick up a stranger on Facebook... and asking you to help <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

I can never quite forget him doing that. I was glad to see a long serving player win his first ranker.

But in the back of my mind, I kept hearing PERVO ALERT! in the back of my mind.