Post a reply

Re: 918.com German Masters Last 128 and 64 !!!!!

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:What will likely be the first ranking event Ronnie plays in at the main stages?

Well the Welsh Open is 128 all at venue, so if Ronnie plays in that that will be his first ranking event proper.

I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped the Welsh though given his huge criticisms of the venue last year.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:What will likely be the first ranking event Ronnie plays in at the main stages?

Well the Welsh Open is 128 all at venue, so if Ronnie plays in that that will be his first ranking event proper.

I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped the Welsh though given his huge criticisms of the venue last year.

Ronnie's ranking will drop like a stone with all the points coming off then.

Postby Andre147

What are the chances of MDG saying Ronnie should retire? <laugh>

Well at least he didn't lose his first round match like the in form Robbo did. That's way worst than Ronnie losing his 2nd after only his first match of season.

Shame he didn't qualify for Germany, but I shall fully enjoy it regardless.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Not great for this tournament that with Robbo, Ronnie and Ding 3 big names won't make it to the venue.

doesn't matter mate snooker has to build success on a full cast to attract major sponsors not on a few names.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Anyway, the most important thing is that Ronnie's back and he didn't just knock balls around but did genuinely try his best. Everything else is secondary.

yeah absolutely win or lose that's the Ronnie I want to see.

We'll see him Group 1 of CL, but for anyone who doesn't care about that tin pot event then The Masters will be his first huge tournament.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Not great for this tournament that with Robbo, Ronnie and Ding 3 big names won't make it to the venue.

doesn't matter mate snooker has to build success on a full cast to attract major sponsors not on a few names.

That would be great but I can't see it progressing more quickly without the major players. Every sport needs its stars that shine and use their spotlight to lift up the more unknown players.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Anyway, the most important thing is that Ronnie's back and he didn't just knock balls around but did genuinely try his best. Everything else is secondary.

yeah absolutely win or lose that's the Ronnie I want to see.

We'll see him Group 1 of CL, but for anyone who doesn't care about that tin pot event then The Masters will be his first huge tournament.

I'll try watching his matches. It's not like he'll play in tons of matches this season. So I'll take every opportunity I get to see him play.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:

That would be great but I can't see it progressing more quickly without the major players. Every sport needs its stars that shine and use their spotlight to lift up the more unknown players.

Yeah it's like a Grand Slam tournament without Federer, Nadal or Djokovic for instance, it just isn't the same no matter what color people try to paint it.

But at least for me I will still fully enjoy the event, just a shame the biggest box office star couldn't make it.

Postby Skullman

Don't forget that there are more top players, Judd, Selby and Murphy are still left in, with Higgins still on with a chance as well.

And tbh Ronnie's absence is a lot more common anyway, and Ding hasn't really been troubling the latter stages of events for a about a year now.

Postby TheRocket

It's all about the World Championship for him. Not being in Berlin will hurt him but he can get over it.

He's quite modest in the media, downplaying everything but deep inside he wants to win that sixth WC title so badly and that's probably been the main reason why he's come back. And winning the Masters obviously would be a nice bonus.

Even though he lost today we can say that it's definitely possible for him to enter a WC-winning form. Among the balls he still looks good and he'll probably get stronger with every tournament and hopefully peak at the right time for the WC.

You can do it Ron. Just one more WC. After that you can retire for good.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:It's all about the World Championship for him. Not being in Berlin will hurt him but he can get over it.

He's quite modest in the media, downplaying everything but deep inside he wants to win that sixth WC title so badly and that's probably been the main reason why he's come back. And winning the Masters obviously would be a nice bonus.

Even though he lost today we can say that it's definitely possible for him to enter a WC-winning form. Among the balls he still looks good and he'll probably get stronger with every tournament and hopefully peak at the right time for the WC.

You can do it Ron. Just one more WC. After that you can retire for good.

I get what your saying but I hope Ronnie isn't just doing all this just because of a potential sixth World Title. I want Ronnie to enjoy playing snooker on the pro tour and try his best. Winning the Worlds will be incredibly hard and if that's the only goal he's bound to fail. But if he finds his happy place, lowers his expectations and take everything as a bonus, we might be in for more truly great moments in the future. It shouldn't be all about titles anymore now in his 40s. Stephen Hendry was unhappy in the last part of his career because all he wanted was to win. Steve Davis was happy in the last part of his career because all he wanted was to play.

Postby Andre147

I fully agree with SO, Ronnie doesn't have nothing else to prove, but maybe I share TR's opinion that if Ronnie were to win a World Title in his 40s and a 6th one, then for me he would surpass Hendry as the greatest of all time.

Ronnie could retire for good tomorrow and I would be happy, I just want him to find that happy place like SO says and enjoy the last few years he has in him as a professional snooker player.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Every Sport needs new stars not old stars because eventually old stars will pack it in. this is the first time i can remember in the 30 + years ive been following the sport where old stars hang around longer because the talent coming through is very scarce.

in truth Smurph, Robbo and Selby should be seen as veterans by now but they arent.

Postby Vallomas

I didn't catch anything of the evening session because I was very busy at work and what I see: Ronnie is out and Higgins is also eliminated right now by Burns! Unbelievable.

Postby TheRocket

I know what you mean SO. At the end of the day it's just a thing of opinion. Everyone is looking differently at it.

Ronnie has 5 Worlds,UK's, Masters titles and 27 ranking titles in total. As Andre said. Ronnie could retire even tomorrow. He has nothing to prove anymore.

And if you're in such a comfortable situation, the WC is in fact really the only thing which would still give me that motiviation and determination to play this game and have any sort of goal.

And the difference between him and Hendry is that with Hendry you just knew that he wasn't good enough anymore. Ronnie in my eyes still has this one more World in him but time is obviously running against him at this age. But I have the feeling that he'll get his sixth title in one of the next two attempts.

Postby vodkadiet

The organisers must be pleased. Robertson, Ding Junhui, O'Sullivan, Higgins out. And to make things worse McLeod and Lawler could still make the venue.

Postby motorhead

vodkadiet wrote:The organisers must be pleased. Robertson, Ding Junhui, O'Sullivan, Higgins out. And to make things worse McLeod and Lawler could still make the venue.

and Bingham was a couple of balls away from losing as well.