Post a reply

Re: Betway UK Championship Quarter Finals!!!!

Postby Andre147

Well....

How Gould managed to bottle I've no idea :dizzy: at least his other bottle from 5-1 up recently was against Trump,a top player.

But this one, Grace is not the sort of player he should lose from that position.

Such a shame, was looking forward to see him in the Final.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:Fair decision from the ref. :hatoff:

Nice to see the ref using his discretion there. Wish they'd have the to balls clamp down on slow play as well.

As a reward for this bit of good refereeing Terry should be given the World final gig. <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

Smart wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Smart wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Smart wrote:THIS MATCH BETTER THAN THE 85 WORLD FINAL :cracker:

It's been very entertaining.

ARE THEY SHOWING IT IN LEEDS ??? :wave:

No idea.

WHERE IS LEEDS ??? :wave:

No idea.

Postby Smart

Cloud Strife wrote:

Nice to see the ref using his discretion there. Wish they'd have the to balls clamp down on slow play as well.

As a reward for this bit of good refereeing Terry should be given the World final gig. <ok>

BIG PETE WILLIAMSON HAS IT ALREADY :wave:

Postby Cloud Strife

Smart wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

No idea.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
GJ wrote:Poor gouldy feel sick for him

I don't. If you even choke against someone like Grace in an UK-quarterfinal, you simply deserve to lose.

Fully agree TR.

How on earth did he end up losing this match. This might derail the good bit of confidence he had in recent times.

Postby Smart

Cloud Strife wrote:
Smart wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

No idea.

NO IDEA ABOUT WHAT ??? :chin:

Postby Cloud Strife

Smart wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Smart wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

No idea.

NO IDEA ABOUT WHAT ??? :chin:

No idea.

Postby Vallomas

:mosh:

David was far from being... savage, but he made it.

Maybe this was the biggest choke in snooker history, because Grace didn't play something exceptional to turn the things around, it was just Gould's terrible performance after 5-1 (especially after 5-3) that forced this result. So simple.

I also wanted to see Gouldy in the final or winning the trophy, but when you choke like that against a decent, but less talented than you player, then you deserve to lose.

Anyway, well done to Grace, his fairy tale in this tournament can touch even people who don't know anything about snooker and I wish him the best in the semifinal. :-)

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
GJ wrote:Poor gouldy feel sick for him

I don't. If you even choke against someone like Grace in an UK-quarterfinal, you simply deserve to lose.

Fully agree TR.

How on earth did he end up losing this match. This might derail the good bit of confidence he had in recent times.

In any sport you have these kind of players who are very talented but unfortunately turn into complete chokers in the most important situations and Gould is one of them. Matthew Stevens and Jimmy White as we know are another prime examples. Just on a higher dimension obviously as they both reached multiple World finals and won some big titles.

But it's sad, it really is for Gould. He has such a good peak game but he just can't produce when it matters. And we've all seen. Even Grace (!) showed better nerves than him. This is truly shocking for Gould. He should think about it.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:No, the biggest choke belongs to Hallet for choking that Masters final against Hendry. <ok>

Grace is no Hendry

Hallet was fully aware of Hendry's Credentials having won 10 World Ranking titles including The World and 2 UK by then.

Postby Vallomas

Andre147 wrote:No, the biggest choke belongs to Hallet for choking that Masters final against Hendry. <ok>

Well, I know that it was 8-9 from 7-0 and 8-2, but it was Hallet, a good top 16 player, against Hendry, the invincible man back in the day. And Hendry produced some brilliant snooker to make his comeback.

Now it's Gould, who has reached ranking finals and had a chance to enter the top 16 again, against a guy who had a handful of wins in ranking events at his first six years as a professional. So, I disagree. :-)

Postby Andre147

Vallomas wrote:

Well, I know that it was 8-9 from 7-0 and 8-2, but it was Hallet, a good top 16 player, against Hendry, the invincible man back in the day. And Hendry produced some brilliant snooker to make his comeback.

Now it's Gould, who has reached ranking finals and had a chance to enter the top 16 again, against a guy who had a handful of wins in ranking events at his first six years as a professional. So, I disagree. :-)

Fair enough then, but to say Hendry produced brilliant snooker to make the comeback simply isn't true. I've even watched that whole match again on YT and fair to say Hendry didnt play great to complete the comeback, Hallet just bottled it.

It is one of the biggest chokes this sport has seen.

Today might be on that list as well.

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:Lliang Wenbo v David Grace - sounds like a bloody last 64 match.
Selby v Robertson is the really final here.

Last year it was a last 128 match Wenbo winning 6-4

Postby Vallomas

Andre147 wrote:
Vallomas wrote:

Fair enough then, but to say Hendry produced brilliant snooker to make the comeback simply isn't true. I've even watched that whole match again on YT and fair to say Hendry didnt play great to complete the comeback, Hallet just bottled it.

It is one of the biggest chokes this sport has seen.

Today might be on that list as well.

I have also watched the final and I admit that I don't remember it so well. Maybe you are right for the "brilliant snooker" part, but it was Hendry. The fear factor existed for Hallett, today Gould choked against No 80 of the rankings. Only last year's Hawkins vs old Nigel Bond can be compared with this.

As for the rankings, Robbo reacted well in his need for a good run in this tournament, but in case he loses tomorrow will drop on No 7. If he wins the trophy, goes back to 3. Liang will enter the top 16 only if he wins the tournament and Grace with his amazing run through the semifinal reaches No 63 (from No 80).
Last edited by Vallomas on 05 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby AC or LT?

Wildey wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Lliang Wenbo v David Grace - sounds like a bloody last 64 match.

Bloody joke. If it wasn't for the amazing evening clash I'd consider not going tomorrow. I wonder how many others may only have tickets for the afternoon and feel the same.

Postby Andre147

Vallomas wrote:
I have also watched the final and I admit that I don't remember it so well. Maybe you are right for the "brilliant snooker" part, but it was Hendry. The fear factor existed for Hallett, today Gould choked against No 80 of the rankings. Only last year's Hawkins vs old Nigel Bond can be compared with this.

As for the rankings, Robbo reacted well in his need for a good run in this tournament, but in case he loses tomorrow will drop on No 7. If he wins the trophy, goes back to 3. Liang will enter the top 16 only if he wins the tournament and Grace with his amazing run through the semifinal reaches No 63 (from No 80).

Yeah the fear factor existed, you're absolutely right, but even so Hallet had so many chances to put that match to bed and couldn't take them.

It remains a choke with or without Hendry, it's no excuse for the amount of chances he had.

But yeah this loss today can be compared to that of Hawkins last year, although I feel Hawkins even managed to play worse than Gould today.

How Grace won this not even he knows I think :chuckle:

Postby Cloud Strife

AC or LT? wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Bloody joke. If it wasn't for the amazing evening clash I'd consider not going tomorrow. I wonder how many others may only have tickets for the afternoon and feel the same.

I'm sure Barry Hearn is loving it.