Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan will NOT be defending his UK Title

Postby Clara8633

Lou147 wrote:Ronnie aint my favourite player so I was alright with him not entering anything up to this point, but his one has upset me. I wonder if he'll bother with the Masters?

I don't think he will. He skipped the CoC even though it's quite similar to the Masters.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:Guys are you Snooker Fans or hangers on....

Absolutely disgusting some of the crap that is posted on here

Just being realistic. Snooker without Ronnie is only a fraction of what it is with him. The likes of Selby and Robertson just won't cut it, I'm afraid.

if you was being realistic you would wise up and be a realist Ronnie O'Sullivan is close to retirement than he is to the start of his career.

Sooner rather than later he will NEVER play tournaments again.

Snooker will move on with someone else. and then in 20 years time all this who's the greatest rubbish will crop up again with another younger player in the mix.

like it or not that what happens in all sports and snooker is no exception.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:if you was being realistic you would wise up and be a realist Ronnie O'Sullivan is close to retirement than he is to the start of his career.

Sooner rather than later he will NEVER play tournaments again.

Snooker will move on with someone else. and then in 20 years time all this who's the greatest rubbish will crop up again with another younger player in the mix.

like it or not that what happens in all sports and snooker is no exception.

Yes, that is probably what will happen. But the problem is, where is this fantastic younger player?
Who is the next Alex Higgins, Jimmy White or Ronnie O'Sullivan type player? Where is the next Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry or John Higgins type player? There is no one that special around right now in my opinion. Not so long ago we had players like Hendry, John Higgins, MJW, Ronnie and Paul Hunter all playing an amazing standard of snooker. The standard is not like that anymore.

I love snooker. But I love high standard snooker with special players. Players like Ronnie, MJW, John Higgins, Alex Higgins, Hendry, White... That kind of snooker I like. Mediocre snooker is not my thing. Snooker is in deperate need for a new hero. Or villain. Just someone special.

In my opinion, players like Selby, Robbo, Ding and Trump have what it takes to be considered greats, but for some reason these guys are not performing like they should. They are not that exciting to watch and no one is dominating the game like Hendry, MJW, Ronnie and John Higgins did.

It's not all bad, I still like to watch snooker. Anthony McGill is a player I really like. He could be one of the big names of the future.

Hardcore snooker fans like most on this forum will watch anything. They will watch Rory McCleod play a best of seven against a monkey in china and they'll love it. But the public wants excitement. . Snooker needs a new star like Ronnie. Someone special. A Messi. A Federer. A Usain Bolt. Or Ronnie needs to come back and play his best again. Maybe Ronnie can be the new Ray Reardon and dominate in his forties...

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Studio punditry, not commentary, there's a difference. I wonder if Euro Sport will be able to afford a decent chair for him or if they'll have to nick one from the canteen like last time he sat in the 'studio'

That's not so bad then.

I quite liked when they had studio analysis for Eurosport at the German Masters. Colin Murray was a bit of a tit, but I quite liked having the studio there.

Postby Vallomas

I am getting used to Ronnie's absence, so it's not a big matter for me (although I fancy his talent and way of playing).

I hope that he will enter the Masters and the rest of 2016 tournaments, but it doesn't seem so possible now.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Studio punditry, not commentary, there's a difference. I wonder if Euro Sport will be able to afford a decent chair for him or if they'll have to nick one from the canteen like last time he sat in the 'studio'

That's not so bad then.

I quite liked when they had studio analysis for Eurosport at the German Masters. Colin Murray was a bit of a tit, but I quite liked having the studio there.

yeah it means his work will be quite similar to what he did for German Masters, which I quite enjoyed too.

Shame he isn't playing, but it shall be a great tournament regardless.

Postby freakmoomin

I'm actually gutted he wont be playing.

I'm anything but a ROS fanboy........ But any tournament in any sport losing the current champion and best player and biggest character is a disappointment.

When ROS hangs up his Q for good snooker will be dented massively. When Hendry left I personally felt a massive void but im not sure how much the rest of the snooker world/fans felt it......when ROS goes.....EVERYBODY will feel it.

enjoy him while it lasts :(

Postby Wildey

freakmoomin wrote:I'm actually gutted he wont be playing.

I'm anything but a ROS fanboy........ But any tournament in any sport losing the current champion and best player and biggest character is a disappointment.

When ROS hangs up his Q for good snooker will be dented massively. When Hendry left I personally felt a massive void but im not sure how much the rest of the snooker world/fans felt it......when ROS goes.....EVERYBODY will feel it.

Absolutely bucking bullocks <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby freakmoomin

haha!

The football equivalent of Ronnie not playing in the UK as defending champ..... Is like Barca vs real Madrid in the Spanish super cup final and both Messi and Ronaldo being injured.....

Again I have to re-iterate that I am no ROS fanboy

:)

Postby Clara8633

Wildey wrote:

His post wasn't that bad :?

Postby Wildey

Clara8633 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

When Ronnie retires we move on its happen before and it will happen again Snooker will NOT be Dented in any way shape or form.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

When Ronnie retires we move on its happen before and it will happen again Snooker will NOT be Dented in any way shape or form.

Snooker will move on and eventually thrive again, I agree with you on that point.

However, to say that snooker that will not be affected in any way when its biggest star and attraction retires is pure fantasy. Surely, you can agree there will be a negative affect, even if it's only a minor one?

To say otherwise would be going against reality.

Postby Pink Ball

I'm not a fan of Ronnie O'Sullivan, but it's ludicrous to say the game won't be negatively impacted by his departure, at least in the short term. Long term, the game's survival isn't in doubt and it's ridiculous that we're even discussing that to be honest. I certainly think Trump will take over his mantle as the main draw, and before anyone disagrees, there were doubts about O'Sullivan's ability to do the same with White gone, and same with White when people debated Alex Higgins departure. My main worry is that the quality of the younger players coming through isn't outstanding by any means. But the game is in a great place overall.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:I'm not a fan of Ronnie O'Sullivan, but it's ludicrous to say the game won't be negatively impacted by his departure, at least in the short term. Long term, the game's survival isn't in doubt and it's ridiculous that we're even discussing that to be honest. I certainly think Trump will take over his mantle as the main draw, and before anyone disagrees, there were doubts about O'Sullivan's ability to do the same with White gone, and same with White when people debated Alex Higgins departure. My main worry is that the quality of the younger players coming through isn't outstanding by any means. But the game is in a great place overall.

Think of all the animals you ever heard about
Like rhinoceroses and tigers, cats and mink
There are lots of funny animals in all this world
But have you ever seen a panther that is pink?
Think!
A panther that is positively pink!

Well here he is, the Pink Panther
The Pink Panther
Ev'rybody loves a panther that's pink
He really is a groovy cat
And he's a gentleman, a scholar, he's a acrobat

He's in the pink, the Pink Panther
The rinky-dink panther
And it's as plain as your nose
That he's the one and only, truly original
Panther pink from head to toe
That he's the one and only, truly original
Panther Pink Panther from head to toe!

Postby Wildey

its not ludicrous i happen to think snooker could be better without him in it because then we can start concentrating on whats important ie the sport not 1 person.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:Ronnie's still a great snooker player, so he'd still be a loss if he left now. But the game won't crash and burn without him, and in a year or two everyone would forget about him, as hard as that might be to believe.

Dont think Great players are forgoten Ray Reardon still comands respect almost 40 years after he last won the World Championship.

But the legacy of all great champions is when they leave what they left behind thrives and gets better.

if the sport post Ronnie Crashes and Burns the legacy of Ronnie would have been ZERO.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Snooker will move on and eventually thrive again, I agree with you on that point.

However, to say that snooker that will not be affected in any way when its biggest star and attraction retires is pure fantasy. Surely, you can agree there will be a negative affect, even if it's only a minor one?

I totally agree with you, to say the Sport won't be damaged, even if just for a very short term, when Ronnie definately retires, is like "going against reality" as you well put it.

To say the Sport is better without him is ridiculous really, as it wouldn't be better without Selby, Robbo, Ding, Trump, whoever.

The Sport isn't centred exclusively around Ronnie, but he's by far the biggest attraction and box office, just like Alex Higgins was in his heyday, and Jimmy White was. Was the Sport better without them? OF COURSE NOT! But times evolve and new faces appear.

What I'm saying is when Ronnie definately puts his cue away, even if just for a short term he will be missed, just like he was missed during most of the 2012/2013 season, but that didn't mean we didn't get an excelent season, just saying there was a vital player missing in most of the tournaments, BUT they were absolutely great regardless.

Postby SnookerFan

freakmoomin wrote:haha!

The football equivalent of Ronnie not playing in the UK as defending champ..... Is like Barca vs real Madrid in the Spanish super cup final and both Messi and Ronaldo being injured.....

Again I have to re-iterate that I am no ROS fanboy

:)

Yeah, but everybody is saying that snooker won't be as interesting or as exciting without Ronnie.

In your analogy, would we be saying that football won't be worth watching when Messi and Ronaldo retire?

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I totally agree with you, to say the Sport won't be damaged, even if just for a very short term, when Ronnie definately retires, is like "going against reality" as you well put it.

To say the Sport is better without him is ridiculous really, as it wouldn't be better without Selby, Robbo, Ding, Trump, whoever.

The Sport isn't centred exclusively around Ronnie, but he's by far the biggest attraction and box office, just like Alex Higgins was in his heyday, and Jimmy White was. Was the Sport better without them? OF COURSE NOT! But times evolve and new faces appear.

What I'm saying is when Ronnie definately puts his cue away, even if just for a short term he will be missed, just like he was missed during most of the 2012/2013 season, but that didn't mean we didn't get an excelent season, just saying there was a vital player missing in most of the tournaments, BUT they were absolutely great regardless.

Theres far too much focus on what Ronnie will do and its distracting from the tournaments if he retires and sticks to it then that load of bullocks would be sorted once and for all.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Theres far too much focus on what Ronnie will do and its distracting from the tournaments if he retires and sticks to it then that load of bullocks would be sorted once and for all.

:goodpost:

There's a thread in General Snooker that's gone on for nine pages talking about what Ronnie isn't doing.

We are giving far too much attention to somebody who isn't bothering to enter tournaments.

Postby SnookerFan

snooker_loopy wrote:Ronnie O'Sulivan was very critical of last year's UK Championship. He said it was like playing in an aircraft hangar. He hates playing in that kind of environment but I guess he's semi-retired now. He prefers playing snooker for fun, not in aircraft hangars. :-D

He said the same thing about the Welsh Open.

I wonder if that means he won't enter?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Ronnie's still a great snooker player, so he'd still be a loss if he left now. But the game won't crash and burn without him, and in a year or two everyone would forget about him, as hard as that might be to believe.

Dont think Great players are forgoten Ray Reardon still comands respect almost 40 years after he last won the World Championship.

But the legacy of all great champions is when they leave what they left behind thrives and gets better.

if the sport post Ronnie Crashes and Burns the legacy of Ronnie would have been ZERO.

Are you having a laugh?

Players like Mark Selby, Judd Trump, Kyren Wilson and many more have said that when they started playing their hero was Ronnie. So his legacy is not zero. His legacy is happening right now. Difference with Hendry is that Ronnie's still good in old age. But the legacy is there right now, and Ronnie's still here as well. You don't want to know how many players out there look at Ronnie videos to learn about break building and cue ball controll. You don't want to know how many youngsters pick up a cue because they saw Ronnie make another maxi.. You'd be surprised.