Post a reply

Betway UK sponsor

Postby armchair de critique

World Snooker is delighted to announce Betway as the new title sponsor of the UK Championship.

The 2015 Betway UK Championship will run from November 24 to December 6 at the York Barbican.

The tournament is one of snooker's Triple Crown events and has a history stretching back to 1977, with so many of the sport's great names engraved on the coveted trophy. Last year, Ronnie O'Sullivan won the title for the fifth time, beating Judd Trump 10-9 in an epic final.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: "We are thrilled to welcome Betway on board for what is truly one of the crown jewels of the snooker calendar. Betway recently sponsored the Shoot-Out and World Seniors Championship so they are aware of the incredible exposure they can expect through our sport.

"The Betway UK Championship will be watched by many millions of people across the planet as the very best players compete for one of the most prestigious titles. The final between O'Sullivan and Trump was an all-time classic.

"We have hosted this event at the York Barbican each year since 2011 and the venue has been a great success, with ticket sales up 20 per cent last year, and we look forward to seeing record crowds again this time."

Betway's CEO Richard Akitt said: "Betway is delighted to confirm our commitment to snooker fans everywhere by extending our presence in the sport in sponsoring such a prestigious tournament.

"Snooker is a sport which is going places with worldwide viewing figures increasing year-on-year and it's fantastic for us to be associated with the game as it breaks new ground."

Re: Betway UK sponsor

Postby Andy Spark

Another betting sponsor for a major, there's a surprise. I should set up my own company called "BETANDYSPARK"; throw Hearn a few quid and I might be able to secure a 5 year contract for sponsorship with my own small televised snooker tour event. I could promise World Snooker the prospect of future association with a fine socially progressive company that prides itself on "getting more and more young people into online gambling". :-)

Postby Andy Spark

armchair de critique wrote:I'd not be surprised to see wonga loan companies enter the snooker sponsorship arena in the near future. My prediction.

:chuckle: Yes, then snooker can boast, "First, we ruined your health with cigarettes in the 80's and 90's, then we gave you a chance to blow your life savings on online gambling sites in the 00's and 10's, NOW in the 20's we give you a chance to really ruin your whole life with chronic debt problems".

Postby Skullman

Andy Spark wrote:Another betting sponsor for a major, there's a surprise. I should set up my own company called "BETANDYSPARK"; throw Hearn a few quid and I might be able to secure a 5 year contract for sponsorship with my own small televised snooker tour event. I could promise World Snooker the prospect of future association with a fine socially progressive company that prides itself on "getting more and more young people into online gambling". :-)

If you were sponsor, you could get best of 17s back :chin:

Postby davisfan

And stagger on to hand the winner his cheque and a tin pot.

Postby SnookerFan

Though it would be nice to see sponsors other than betting companies come forward, we must remember where we were a few years ago after the tobacco sponsorship was banned. Basically, we had bugger all sponsorship at all. So at least we're better nowadays than we used to be.

We had to flounder around, and pretty much beg for sponsorship. There were even big events that didn't have a sponsor. Hearn has managed to bring in a lot of his business associates, and bring in some much needed money to the game.

Not ideal, but better than we were before.