Post a reply

Why I prefer the International C'ship to UK C'ship

Postby Pink Ball

1) The International Championship was welcomed at the time of its introduction due to having a long format, which it still has. At the time the UK Championship had the same format, but it was a downgrade from what it had before. Every time I look at the UK Championship, it reminds me of an old girlfriend. I fell out of love with her, and for months I tried to fool myself into thinking I still cared about her. But she was rubbish.

2) The International Championship has the Panda as its mascot. Pandas are really bucking cute.

3) Also cute are the gorgeous, exotic Asian girls that take part in its brilliant presentation ceremonies.
Meanwhile, we have Barry Hearn.

4) It forces Mark Allen to travel to a country that he doesn't like.

Re: Why I prefer the International C'ship to UK C'ship

Postby PLtheRef

I must say I was rather surprised to see that the International kept the format as the Best of 17 for the semi-finals

it certainly puts it at least on a par with the UK Championships. - It's certainly the biggest event in China that's for certain (it even has a decent crowd) - What it wants to be taken truly seriously is enough of having 72 players playing out over a week. - Start on the Saturday and don't be shoehorning all those matches into the sessions early doors.

Postby TheSaviour

Well yes, but essentially snooker is "just" a pub game. Or shall I state that a club game, since the table is so big. That´s where it roots still are. It is similar to darts or bridge where you just figure out things continuously. So I am a bit worried if and now when they are trying to make something so fancy, clinical and big about it somewhere in China or so.. It probably quite doesn´t work that way. Peter Ebdon (twitter) still seems to be just discussing what food causes cancer whether he is playing snooker in UK or in China lol. Some people just doesn´t seems to have that self-destructive or a dark side, and quite good so.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Reasons I prefer the UK to the Intl:

1) I prefer the beeb coverage
2) I like York (went to college there.) Grew up 20 miles away in Harrogate.
3) Ronnie might play

1) Though I like seeing snooker on freeview telly, the BBC commentators lack knowledge to such an absurd degree, it puts me off a bit.
2) York is a bit expensive for me to travel to and stay in, so I've never been. Though the crowds look superior to that of the ones in Telford and have a better atmosphere, I found it easier to get to.
3) :zzz: Brings too much drama. Always doing some marmite or another. And even when what he's doing is no particularly offensive, the commentators reaction to him is. "Oh my god! He's not wearing shoes. HE'S NOT WEARING SHOES!!!!!!" <doh>

I'll still say I prefer the UK though. More history, on at UK time and not 6am, and has bigger crowds. The turnout in China can be embarrassing.

Postby Dan-cat

1. I just like the money that they invest - the features, the nostalgia montages, it just all seems so much impressive than the other channels. ITV4 are doing pretty good, they actually have a studio at least and an anchor. As much as we all give the Beeb commentators stick I don't let them affect my enjoyment. I like a bit of Willie, Hendry and Davis. Dennis and Virgo occasionally crack a decent joke, at a rate of about one a tournament.
2. it's only a couple of hours from Kings Cross and is a beautiful city :)
3. Drama is a bad thing?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:1. I just like the money that they invest - the features, the nostalgia montages, it just all seems so much impressive than the other channels. ITV4 are doing pretty good, they actually have a studio at least and an anchor. As much as we all give the Beeb commentators stick I don't let them affect my enjoyment. I like a bit of Willie, Hendry and Davis. Dennis and Virgo occasionally crack a decent joke, at a rate of about one a tournament.
2. it's only a couple of hours from Kings Cross and is a beautiful city :)
3. Drama is a bad thing?

I like to see my drama on the table. Not when it's trying to guess which photographer he'll through out, or whatever.

I know what you mean about the BBC and it's professional look, even if the commentators couldn't talk sense if their life depended on it. I do wish they'd bring back match choice on Interactive though, that's much missed.

It might only be a couple of hours from King's Cross, but for me to get a train ticket they'd ask me for fat dollar. And it aint worth getting a coach, it'd take all week.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:York is definitely more convenient, especially since I can walk to venue and there's no time zone issues.

Still, it's a shame about the only long match being the final...

Even a Best of 19 Frame final is not fitting to the once Great tournament.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Skullman wrote:York is definitely more convenient, especially since I can walk to venue and there's no time zone issues.

I don't complain about the Best of 19 Final, it's been like that since 1993, television companies, namely BBC simply don't want a 2 day Best of 31 Final like they used to.

The downfall of this tournament was the moment they reduced Best of 17 rounds to Best of 11s... still, as if that wasn't enough, turning the Semis into Best of 11s as well was just pmsl that's why the IC is a better tournament right now.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I don't complain about the Best of 19 Final, it's been like that since 1993, television companies, namely BBC simply don't want a 2 day Best of 31 Final like they used to.

The downfall of this tournament was the moment they reduced Best of 17 rounds to Best of 11s... still, as if that wasn't enough, turning the Semis into Best of 11s as well was just pmsl that's why the IC is a better tournament right now.

But the tournament has never been the same since they reduced the final it used to be such a better event back then than it became in the 90s.

The BBC and World Snooker between them has screwed it right up.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

But the tournament has never been the same since they reduced the final it used to be such a better event back then than it became in the 90s.

The BBC and World Snooker between them has screwed it right up.

I agree with you. Although it was still one hell of a tournament once they kept b-o-17's before the final. I'd love to see the viewing figures since it became a b-o-11 event, it's certainly a more toilet facility tournament now. Also, the premise of introducing b-o-11s was so we could see all the matches from last 32 onwards. Which we can't now anyway.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
I agree with you. Although it was still one hell of a tournament once they kept b-o-17's before the final. I'd love to see the viewing figures since it became a b-o-11 event, it's certainly a more toilet facility tournament now. Also, the premise of introducing b-o-11s was so we could see all the matches from last 32 onwards. Which we can't now anyway.

That's always bothered me.

Nobody wanted the matches shortened, but they insisted it was so every match could be televised.

Then they changed the format, and didn't televise all the matches. Effectively, World Snooker lied to us. The paying fans.