Post a reply

Not regular in potting.

Postby JeetB

I am playing snooker since some time. I practice it 2 hours daily but i have observed that my shots are not potted regularly nor can I pot long range shots. Could you please tell me how to improve my skills?

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby Dan-cat

Get a coach. Even if just for a few sessions, to give you the basics.

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby JeetB

Thank you for replying. I live in rajkot and here there are no coaches. So I checked almost 50 videos of Barry Stark. I am playing as he suggested. The dominant eye, cue line, aiming, stanze and almost all his guidelines I have followed. Anyways I am practicing. I also have a video of mine recorded. If you can pot out my mistakes than I'll surely upload it too.

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Welcome JeetB,

I am not a great player - as you may have guessed!

It sounds like you are doing a lot right - studying & practising regularly.

Feel free to ignore my advice:
    Keep practising - you will develop a 'feel' for the balls and how they react.
    Make a habit of focussing on the object ball on your final approach.
    Experiment with a pause at the final backswing.
    Concentrate your effort on delivering the cue straight towards the point on the object ball that you are focussing on.
However, balance the coaching videos with developing your own style and most importantly enjoy the game and the practise. Snooker is one of the most frustrating but rewarding things that I do.

Good luck

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Welcome JeetB,

I am not a great player - as you may have guessed!

It sounds like you are doing a lot right - studying & practising regularly.

Feel free to ignore my advice:
    Keep practising - you will develop a 'feel' for the balls and how they react.
    Make a habit of focussing on the object ball on your final approach.
    Experiment with a pause at the final backswing.
    Concentrate your effort on delivering the cue straight towards the point on the object ball that you are focussing on.
However, balance the coaching videos with developing your own style and most importantly enjoy the game and the practise. Snooker is one of the most frustrating but rewarding things that I do.

Good luck


+1

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby JeetB

Thank you for your advice. I never guessed you as a bad snooker player @badsnookerplayer. You completely misunderstood me. Sorry it was a misunderstanding. I will surely practice it.

What do you mean by bowel movement @ Alexopaul?

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby TheSaviour

Mate,

Matt Selt also a great player. Absolutely no need to ping pong just with just a one player while others just can´t be ar...... Picking a winner is just more difficult than people might think. But even that can be done.

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby Dan-cat

JeetB wrote:Thank you for your advice. I never guessed you as a bad snooker player @badsnookerplayer. You completely misunderstood me. Sorry it was a misunderstanding. I will surely practice it.

What do you mean by bowel movement @ Alexopaul?


He means how often you go to rubbish. Are you recycling regularly?

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby JeetB

Thanks for your courtesy. Brother, I am not able to get you. What do we need to recycle? Could you please elaborate @DAN-CAT?

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

JeetB wrote:Thanks for your courtesy. Brother, I am not able to get you. What do we need to recycle? Could you please elaborate @DAN-CAT?


I think that you have your swearing filter on and Dan-Cat was using rather vulgar language - unfortunately he often does this. The original question from Alex0Paul was enquiring after the frequency of you going to the toilet and defecating. I am not sure of the correlation between defecation and break building but I hope Alex0Paul will enlighten us soon. Hope that clears it up.

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby Alex0paul

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
JeetB wrote:Thanks for your courtesy. Brother, I am not able to get you. What do we need to recycle? Could you please elaborate @DAN-CAT?


I think that you have your swearing filter on and Dan-Cat was using rather vulgar language - unfortunately he often does this. The original question from Alex0Paul was enquiring after the frequency of you going to the toilet and defecating. I am not sure of the correlation between defecation and break building but I hope Alex0Paul will enlighten us soon. Hope that clears it up.


I will do soon

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby Dan-cat

I'll admit I was having fun with the Snooker Island swear filter, which I'm quite fond of, and I knew how non-nonsensical my post was going to seem to new members.

Yes, as Baddie as pointed out the expression 'are you regular?' is something a doctor might ask to enquire if you have healthy bowel movements. Regular stools. So the thread title 'not regular in potting' was what prompted JeetB's hilarious post.

In SnookerIsland land, sh*t = rubbish, and sh*tting = recycling... Possibly my favourite SI swear filter substitution. And it appeals to the enviromentalist in me. We've only got one planet, let's be kind to it.

That's another thing that makes me giggle. Deconstruction and exhaustive exposition of a joke. See comedian Stewart Lee for more examples.

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby Dan-cat

JeetB wrote:If the fun is over than any one kind here would like to help me?


The fun is never over, fun is fundamental :)

- watch Steve Davis on youtube and copy his stance
- look at the object ball when striking
- push the cue through in a straight line
- stay still on the shot
- accelerate with the cue as you go through
- practice hitting the white in the middle by running it up and down the spots, if it veers off you are putting on unintentional side
- practice
- box the chimp

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby JeetB

Dan-cat wrote:
JeetB wrote:If the fun is over than any one kind here would like to help me?


The fun is never over, fun is fundamental :)

- watch Steve Davis on youtube and copy his stance
- look at the object ball when striking
- push the cue through in a straight line
- stay still on the shot
- accelerate with the cue as you go through
- practice hitting the white in the middle by running it up and down the spots, if it veers off you are putting on unintentional side
- practice
- box the chimp


Thank you DAN-CAT. My problem is I sometimes can not get through my shot. My cue doesnt stay straight at times. I will practice more.

Re: Not regular in potting.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Hi JeetB,

It is quite hard to help without knowing a bit more about your game. However, I played for at least three years before I really started to feel 'in control' of the positional side of my game. I am sure you will progress more quickly as you sound like a devoted player!

Positional play is vital. Can you play screw and stun shots effectively and can you describe how you would go about playing them? I ask because mastery of these is a foundation of decent break building


   

cron