Post a reply

Re: Tiny ones

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:very impressive. tbh there were a couple i didn't recognise.

Yes, Lin Shuai and Wang Zepeng came close in Q School last year. Zhu Yinghui, a promising Mongolian, reached the final of the Asian U21, but his career was ended shortly after this picture was taken, due to an unfortunate incident.

You've got me intrigued about what happened to Zhu Yinghui. He was doing well until 2013/14 then dropped off the map. I've done a bit of searching online but can't find much.
He didn't post anything on Weibo after May 25 2013, but then suddenly reappeared last month, with a couple of posts, including a photo. He looks fine in the pic, and had an exchange with WST, which commented that he doesn't look any different. He replied that he looks older.

Yes, in 2013 Zhu Yinghui was the best player in the academy: better than Zhao Xintong and Zhou Yuelong.

Unfortunately he had an aggressive father, and after one violent incident involving a referee, the boy got suspended by the CBSA, ending his career. It would have been great to have a professional from Mongolia. Most of the 32 provinces in mainland China have produced at least one.

The other sad story about that picture was of course Lyu Haotian. He isn't on the picture because he already turned professional, aged 15. He was in now Sheffield where, separated from his freinds, he could have been killed in a fire that was started deliberately.

There's a picture of the prize ceremony after the ISBF World U21 final, where Lyu beat Zhu, with both boys looking completely miserable! Two years later, both had quit snooker in despair.

Postby lhpirnie

OK a more cheerful one from the CBSA Academy, this time from March 2017. Spot the 8 current professionals, and one future professional (bonus point!).

Postby rekoons

I see ronnie

Postby HappyCamper

HappyCamper wrote:Image

this one is ng on yee btw.

Postby HappyCamper

lhpirnie wrote:Image

OK a more cheerful one from the CBSA Academy, this time from March 2017. Spot the 8 current professionals, and one future professional (bonus point!).

yuan sijun is there at the front
i think that's lei peifan behind him.
fan zhengyi maybe to his left.
and i think xu si too.

for future pro i'd guess one of gao yang, pang junxu, or zhao jianbo. as i think they're joining the tour next year (well, assuming there is one and travel is allowed etc).

Postby Alex0paul

Ronnie O’Sullivan

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:

yuan sijun is there at the front
i think that's lei peifan behind him.
fan zhengyi maybe to his left.
and i think xu si too.

for future pro i'd guess one of gao yang, pang junxu, or zhao jianbo. as i think they're joining the tour next year (well, assuming there is one and travel is allowed etc).

Yes you did well, it's not easy to see.

Far left is Zhao Jianbo. Then Fan Zhengyi, Xu Si, Luo Honghao, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Lei Peifan, Yuan Sijun, Zhang Jiankang and Zhao Xintong.

Ronnie played a match with Zhao Xintong in front of the boys, and showed some techniques. Lei Peifan was just 13, but just over 2 years later was playing Ronnie in the NI Open, getting his first 100. I wonder if Ronnie remembered him?

Postby SnookerEd25

Good pics.

Top one might be Quinten Hann
Third down might be Joe Swail
Fourth is Graeme Dott & sixth Anthony Hamilton (looking better groomed than he’s ever looked as a pro’!)

Struggling with the others...

Postby Empire State Human

SnookerEd25 wrote:Good pics.

Top one might be Quinten Hann
Third down might be Joe Swail
Fourth is Graeme Dott & sixth Anthony Hamilton (looking better groomed than he’s ever looked as a pro’!)

Struggling with the others...

All correct! I thought Quinten Hann would stump you, but not so.

The top pics are all from the early 1990s. The bottom two are from the '70s.

Postby SnookerEd25

Is it Patrick Wallace between Dott & Hamilton?

Thought the bottom picture was certainly older - i’m sure it was in an old book I had from the 80s - can’t place who it is though.

Postby rekoons

SnookerEd25 wrote:Is it Patrick Wallace between Dott & Hamilton?

Thought the bottom picture was certainly older - i’m sure it was in an old book I had from the 80s - can’t place who it is though.

Barry pinches between dott and Hamilton??

Postby rekoons

Is the one below Hamilton a young bill werbeniuk?

Postby rekoons

The last one looks like David gray to me?

Postby SnookerEd25

My God - that’s Fergal O’Brien I think - the bottom one playing the rest shot through the pack of reds. Enlarged it & the eyes gave it away (if i’m right...)

rekoons - Yes, that's Picnhes and Werbenuik.

BSP - Lawler and Peter Lines are correct.

SnookerEd - Fergal using the rest, practising his gritty, psychopathic stare for when he turned pro.

I've edited the posts and put letters against the pictures - so there's just B and H outstanding.

I'll post a few more tomorrow.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Snookered - great effort on Fergal. Never would have got it but as soon as you said it it became obvious.

ESH - thanks for posting.

Postby rekoons

B joe Johnson?

Postby rekoons

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Could H be Virgo?

Yes that looks right now that you say it.

John Virgo is right. So just "B" remaining. Final clue: He reached the final of one ranking event, and has decidedly less hair nowadays.

These are taken from a mixture of B&H Year Books, magazines, and those weird astrology-filled annuals Jack Karnehm wrote in the early '80s. Some are considerably easier than others.

I

J

K

L

M

N (Not Mark Williams, obviously)

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V - I'll be amazed if anyone gets this. The taller of the two kids at the table would become a snooker world champion. The smaller one would become a billiard's world champion.

W - Child on the left.

X - The guy on the left.

Y - Name the kid, but you can maybe get a point for the professional, as well.

Z

AA

AB

AC

AD

AE - person on the left

AF

AG

AH

AI

AJ

AK

AL

AM - This is a bit of a sneaky one and the odd one out in this list. (No, it's not my granddad.)

AN
Last edited by Empire State Human on 14 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

I shall attempt to pick a few of these off :

I : Matthew Stevens (fairly sure)
M : Stephen Maguire (definite)
O : Shaun Murphy ?
P : Possibly John Campbell
Q : Mark Bennett ?
S : Allison Fisher (definite)
T : Michael Holt (pretty sure)
W : Stephen Hendry ?
X : Eddie Charlton (definite)
Y : the pro is definitely Les Dodd; is it a young Andrew Higginson with him?
Z : Possibly a very young Jack Karnehm
AA : Joe Davis (on the left - fairly sure)
AB : Barry Hawkins (definite)
AC : Mark Selby (fairly sure)
AF : Jack Lisowski (fairly sure)
AG : Judd Trump ?
AH : Definitely Paul Hunter on the right; is it Matthew Stevens (again) with him?
AK : John Parrott (definitely)
AL : Kirk Stevens (definitely)
AN : very young Jimmy White (fairly sure)

Postby SnookerEd25

I missed off R : David Roe ?

Postby SnookerEd25

AM : Is it Ted Lowe ?