Post a reply

Me practicing

Postby Roland

I went to the club for an hour or so yesterday while the girlfriend did a bit of shopping. As it turned out she was coming down with a cold and feeling dizzy so she turned up at the club about 15 minutes after I'd started, so I made good use of her and got her to film me with her phone. :)

Typically I'd just knocked in a 14 red 14 colour century in line-ups before she arrived (snookered behind pink on last red after playing a run through black off two cushions a bit too pacey) so that was missed unfortunately.

Anyway, 1st attempt at line-up (usually I start over after missing but playing to the camera...)

2nd attempt

Clearing the colours including one of my favourite shots, blue with extreme left hand side. I like it because it looks easy but I know it's not <cool>

Finally a frame but the battery ran out after about 5 minutes. At least the best shot was filmed - first red, long and straight and stopped the white on a 5p

This is the first time I've ever watched myself play. I think I play too fast in line-ups and my head starts to lift a la Alan Mcmanus sometimes before I've played the shot. I need to sort that out.

Anyone else got any footage of them playing the game?

Re: Me practicing

Postby mantorok

Anyone else got any footage of them playing the game?

No, but your girlfriend shouldn't give up her day job, bit shakey there <laugh>

You do play fast but I guess you were practicing so it's bound to happen, if you were on TV I'd find you entertaining.

Postby Roland

She was feeling ill, poor thing! Yeah the last one is a bit shakier than the others. And yes I play a bit slower in a serious game but maybe it's good to keep the same pace around the table in practice as you do in a match.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Good to see you playing, well done for posting.

I notice you position the reds 7,5,3 in the line up. Any particular reason for doing so? I set them up 8,5,2 as I find you have less space for manoeuvring the cue ball & help's me try to be more exact by clearing the reds away from the black & pink. If you nudge a red when doing the line up do you stop? I do, because I only continue on with shots I played if you get my drift. I practice cannons using another method.

The pockets look a little on the big side can I be so bold to say?

I'm hitting them again tomorrow evening (Tuesday). I might ask someone to video me if I can & I'll post on here.

Nice to see a few of the other tables filling up & being used too. <ok>

Postby Roland

I used to go 2, 4, 7, 2 (above the blue) and it's only recently I've gone 3,5,7 and there's nothing more to it other than sticking one of each of the two I used to have above the blue back down the table.

I usually make a point of taking out the reds directly above pink and black as early as I can, and also no I don't usually carry on when I miss or cannon into another ball but I knew I was being filmed so I carried on.

As for the size of pocket, you can only play on the table in front of you! They're not massive by any stretch and they were rolling off north of the middles from pink spot where the nap should've taken them in, plus as you can see from where the white landed after the cut back black in the last clip the tables are slower than professional tables so in a way it's fairer if there's a bit more give in the pocket. :)

It's nice to be judged by an ex-pro I must say, given I've only ever played locally and as a hobby. I only started "playing" again a couple of months ago after about 4 years out and have been about 5 or 6 times since then but I'm slowly getting the bug back. Just need some decent standard practice partners now.

Yes the place is usually quite busy on the weekend but there's not many places to choose from around here. I can't say I've been blown away by anyone playing on the other tables yet.

Postby Bourne

I played a bit this morning, bit rusty at the moment having not played in a month or so but my long-potting was surprisingly good :?

Bourne wrote:I played a bit this morning, bit rusty at the moment having not played in a month or so but my long-potting was surprisingly good :?

Good man Bourne, keep hitting them. Before you know it we'll be having the SF Open. :)

Postby Bourne

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
Bourne wrote:I played a bit this morning, bit rusty at the moment having not played in a month or so but my long-potting was surprisingly good :?

Good man Bourne, keep hitting them. Before you know it we'll be having the SF Open. :)

Really having some alignment problems, missing so many easy balls. I think it's because I tend to rush a bit, i'm naturally a quick player, just my instinct. It's the same when I play darts, I like the rythym.

Bourne wrote:

Really having some alignment problems, missing so many easy balls. I think it's because I tend to rush a bit, i'm naturally a quick player, just my instinct. It's the same when I play darts, I like the rythym.

Rhythm comes naturally mate. The hard work, uncomfortable times, that gets put in beforehand, helps you find your rhythm, which results from confidence. No confidence, no can do.

StalinESQ wrote:Rhythm is a dancer. <ok>

Yes it is. <ok>

:D

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:

Yes it is. <ok>

its your sole companion, you can feel it when you move........

lol <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> rofl
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Postby Casey

The links are not working for me :-(

Postby Roland

Yeah I just tried them for the first time having picked up the links this morning from imageshack and posting them direct to here but having tried them I've got no Quicktime control bar in the window and one of them was playing double speed.

:huh2:

Hopefully when we switch over the account to a different host the upload speeds will make it worth hosting clips ourselves. As it is the upload speed on this current host is like going back to dial up. Or maybe I just remember we set up a youtube account when setting up the forum. I'll confirm with Hallenberg.

Edit - yep indeed, currently uploading to youtube which means can embed in this topic :ahh:

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:

Yes it is. <ok>

its your sole companion, you can feel it when you move........

lol <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> rofl
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

my pleasure :afro:

Postby Roland

Even better, check above for youtube clips as they upload :ahh:

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
case_master wc wrote:The links are not working for me :-(

me neither, can you use photobucket in future, like my excellent video footage....... many thanks from Siberia :wave:

smarts right, photobucket is the way to go, i expect all your future pics and video to be posted via photobucket or else

<laugh>

Postby Cheesyman99

What's your highest bream on a line up?
Mines 48 which is only 3 higher than my match high

Postby Rocket_ron

Cheesyman99 wrote:What's your highest bream on a line up?

Bream?? :scared:

Postby Cheesyman99

rocket_ron wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:What's your highest bream on a line up?

Bream?? :scared:

Sorry! Typing on my iPod, not easy.
I meant break!!! :L