69 tallies with 61 if I missed a red black combo. From memory it was

7 x red + black = 56
2 x red + blue = 68
1 x red = 69

or do I have to watch it again?

:chin:

Re: Me practicing

Postby Roland

Ok, the last time I watched it he took a black with the 7th red, but this time he took a pink. Great trick John, how did you do it?

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

What is this, a slow week?

The young man, with the dodgy trousers, & a beautiful sister playing ref with the white gloves, takes 6 reds with 6 blacks. Knocks a red into the green pocket followed up by a crisp pink into the middle. That makes 55 in Snooker's book.

Red blue, Red blue, red, missed black, makes that another 13 so that gives us a fine break of 68.

random5 - Whatever you may think, your videos will be watched & discussed & you will be encouraged on this website, so keep them coming, I'll try & share some of mine over the coming season in between fine wine. <ok>
Last edited by JohnFromLondonTown on 20 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

Yes I know but it took me 3 attempts to get it right. Yes I am on slow week at the moment.

The video was great, especially the editing so you got shot after shot. I like this shot but have to ask if it was deliberate because it wouldn't have entered my head to play it this way:

(wait for the edit)

Sonny wrote:Yes I know but it took me 3 attempts to get it right. Yes I am on slow week at the moment.

The video was great, especially the editing so you got shot after shot. I like this shot but have to ask if it was deliberate because it wouldn't have entered my head to play it this way:

(wait for the edit)

Running side when potting the black when ending up potting the red into the green picket by any chance?

Postby Roland

Nope, rest shot. This is what I was expecting:

and this is what he played:

Yeah, I looked at that, 3 times....!

random5. Did you play that with running (right in this case), delicate touch of side or are your cushions quality?

Nice shot all the same.

Postby randam05

Ha didnt realise this would rise much interest! was only a quick video I thought I might aswell put on here. Thanks very much for the replies and generous comments, has been a real boost of confidence :) . Still feel a fool about saying 76 though!

Not trying to show off but thought you may be interested I won the player of the year award in my local snooker league and our team came third in top division. I live in Bideford, North devon and there isnt any clubs nearby and not much interest for snooker :-( nevermind.

The shot you thought wasnt deliberate..you are correct it was a misjudgement. The first diagram you did was what was meant to happen! with a touch of running side yes but instead it went above the pocket, so was kinda lucky i guess, but still worked out fine.

I am very sure it is a 12ft x 6ft table. Bought it on ebay for 1200 and they delivered all the way from sheffield and installed with new cloth and all..good deal i thought.

Would be nice if some of you could upload similar videos too, to see the quality of other amateurs and semi pros by the sound of it? I may do some more videos playing frames against myself to try and beat 68 if you like as if im videoing it for this website i might be more determined to try harder as in practice with myself it can get a little tedious and boring so i tend to rush and not play the right shots.

Anyway thanks for the great warm welcome to the website and hope to share more thoughts <ok> :)

Postby Roland

Yes he really does stroke the ball nicely. Clearly a talented young lad who should keep on practicing and enter a few pro-ams. I can't remember ever seeing a player with long hair that wasn't tied back though, obviously not a good idea in competition what with the foul issue if any of you touches a ball.

I rewatched my clips from post 1 earlier and was pretty embarrassed actually. I mean obviously it all happened in a 15 minute spell, but I can play much better than that but I don't get the chance to film myself. I played last weekend and absolutely annihilated my mate, took him to the cleaners. I need a step up in opponent because it's too easy if you know the person you're playing won't hurt you if you miss.

Postby Roland

Forgive me for thinking the tables was only a 10 footer. For some reason it looks smaller but maybe it's the angle. So you have a full size at home? Lucky boy :redneck:

Postby randam05

Yh was a wierd camera angle but its the only place in the room where it shows most the table, and yh i am lucky but it was part of the deal in moving down to farmers land (devon) 3 years ago from Reading.

I know what you mean about playing good opponents, if I ever play my friends who I can assure are awful! I tend not to play as good as if i played a quality player, so I try practice as much as possible with team mates from the league now.

Pro ams..see the problem with living down here is there is no clubs or anything so I find it hard to find out about anything I can enter..can anyone advise me where to find info and stuff for the near future? I did enter the ronnie o Sullivan future stars tournament however, which I only found out about cause of snookerscene magazine.

Also anyone watch the trickshots? Im not a great fan of trickshots and i dont think they are skillful much, but was enjoyable and passed some long boring days. :afro:

Postby Roland

There's a fine line isn't there? Like the other day I only had one 40 break but my opponent was messing the balls up by missing, whereas if you play a decent player the colours tend to stay on the spots, and then there's more pressure because if you miss you may not get another shot and spend the whole session picking balls out of the pockets. But usually after playing such a player who does that to you, it makes it easier to do that against a player who was maybe giving you a decent game last time you played them. I mean playing players who are better than you is good, but it's also demoralising if you hardly get any chances meaning when you do get them there's more pressure on every ball.

Postby randam05

yes it can be very messy playing with a player who has no safety play as all the colours go to the cushions or in baulk and it makes it awfuly hard to produce good breaks..also there is no pressure as you say but you then can spend time picking balls from pockets. Lets say playing players at the same standard as you is best!

Postby Noel

randam05 wrote: Lets say playing players at the same standard as you is best!

Playing better players is even.... better!

=o)

Noel

Postby Tubberlad

I must be getting very sad, drinking at home on a Saturday night watching snooker videos :(

Must say though Random, that's a very smooth break you put together there. Ran out of position a couple of times, but some nice recovery shots (that long red to the green pocket was a cracking shot).#

Stroked the cueball very nicely too <ok> good break, and I think you are definitely good enough to knock in a ton not too far down the line.

My highest break is only 49, set that back in late 2004, though admittedly, I did stop playing in very early 2005.

Postby randam05

Thanks very much, still working on getting a consistent cue action going and also keep the elbow on a pivot throughout the whole shot, keeping it straight. Which is proving tough and I think this is down to why my long potting is not great. Anyone have any tips on using the rest too? I have broke down in the 30s and 40s so many times because of the rest.

tubber..I think you should start playing again then <cool> no reason why not, or did i read in another post the club shut down and the nearest one is a long way away just for a game of snooker?

Postby Casey

renniwevarb wrote:A couple of videos of me doing line up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61uZEFPP2hk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZQS5Uvq3UU

Not a very accomplished player as you can see, any comments or suggestions would be welcomed ;)

When I play a proper game I go to pieces -_-"""

You have a nice steady cue action, you take your time which is good <ok>

What are you like when you have to put a lot of pace in the ball? That’s my downfall. :sad:

Postby randam05

You keep your elbow very straight and on a pivot which is good and what I find very hard, especially when putting a little pace on the ball, it tends to drop onto my back almost, which leads me to..

What are you like when you have to put a lot of pace in the ball? That’s my downfall. :sad:

That is my downfall as I move more and put unwanted side, the cue arm moves a lot and its not very good! maybe a few peoples let down?

Postby renniwevarb

If I remember to delivery my cue smoothly and accelerate through, it is fine. But most times I tell myself to give it more "power", and end up delivering the cue too fast and snatching my cue, ending with either a mis-cue or a very bad miss!

Postby Rocket_ron

renniwevarb wrote:If I remember to delivery my cue smoothly and accelerate through, it is fine. But most times I tell myself to give it more "power", and end up delivering the cue too fast and snatching my cue, ending with either a mis-cue or a very bad miss!

I find shaun murphy and excellent example of punching the cue through to cueball <ok>

rocket_ron wrote: I find shaun murphy and excellent example of punching the cue through to cueball <ok>

I'd go along with that. The fella has a beautiful cue action, in that its that good I wonder how he misses sometimes. Must be between his ears which is the problem.

Postby randam05

I'd go along with that. The fella has a beautiful cue action, in that its that good I wonder how he misses sometimes. Must be between his ears which is the problem.

Very true. I always wonder how he misses! lapse in concentration at time for me. If he sorts that out he will be world champion again and miltiple ranking event winner.

Postby renniwevarb

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
rocket_ron wrote: I find shaun murphy and excellent example of punching the cue through to cueball <ok>

That is spot on! It's always the problem between the ears for all of us... actually snooker is a simple game in this sense:
Only 3 things to assess before going down on the shot: potting angle, spot on cue ball to hit, power to play - in order to pot and arrive at the position you want. Having said that we assume we have a sound technique to deliver the cue straight.

But... that something between the ears will try to be funny... and most of the time the thoughts it gives makes us do a few things that deviate from our original objective - such as trying to adjust our aim down on the shot and miss, or try to control our strength during delivery and some how tweak or twist the cue so delivering it off-line and miss, etc etc...

Postby renniwevarb

Anyway, any advice on what I should practice to improve my game from what my video shows? I noticed I kind of lift my head slightly when I deliver the cue? Or is it my elbow that drops a little, so showing that my cue actually goes off my chin after delivery?

Postby Roland

Your cue action looks very solid to me. I bet you're a tough player to play against, you look very steady. :santa: