Post a reply

Re: Q-School 2018

Postby mick745

In only one of her eight frames has she broken the 10 point barrier!

Postby Alex0paul

Deewee wrote:11 points for Heather Clare against David Grace, so that's 41 points in two events. Will she get to fifty in the third????

Money well spent

Postby The_Abbott

mick745 wrote:In only one of her eight frames has she broken the 10 point barrier!

I think shes doing marginally better than Mike Hallett last year

Postby aimlesswandeer

Deewee wrote:Petrov lost 4-3 because of a refereeing error

What happened?

Postby aimlesswandeer

Deewee wrote:Where's all my Heather Clare fans at?

She’s a legend.

Postby Deewee

aimlesswandeer wrote:

What happened?

Obviously he didn't notice it at the time, so nothing can be done about it really.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Deewee wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:

What happened?

Obviously he didn't notice it at the time, so nothing can be done about it really.

It’s strange that he didn’t notice it at the time, or even later during the frame.

Maybe it’s refereeing errors that have caused poor Heather Clare to lose too.

Postby Deewee

Nutcharut has taken two frames off Ashley Carty who's won a few pro matches. Doing much better than I thought

Postby Deewee

So the challenge tour events are:
1. June 2-3 Burton
2. July 10-11 Preston
3. July 28-29 Riga, Latvia
4. August 27-28 Furth, Germany
5. September 22-23 Snooker club in UK
6. October 4-5 Lommel, Belgium
7. October 13-14 Preston
8. November tbc in Europe
9. January tbc Snooker club in UK
10. March 3-4 Barnsley
Prize money is 2k for the winner, 1k for finalist, 750 for semifinalists etc

Postby Deewee

Top 64 of the Q School order of merit will make up the Challenge tour. Of the current top 100 on the list 71 are from UK and Ireland, 12 from mainland Europe, 9 from China, 7 from rest of Asia and one from Saudi Arabia. Unless they have a good sponsor, the Asians are unlikely to participate anyway.

Four of the events are in mainland Europe which is is a bit disproportional to the player make-up but there will be eight "local" wildcards in each event, also in the UK. Some UK players might just play in the UK events but that would be risky if you want to get on tour.

Postby mick745

How many from the challenge tour will 'graduate' to the main tour?

There will also be a Q school in China next year.

Amateur events and the top 8 of the one year money list I assume will qualify as usual.

Might not be too many slots left.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Deewee wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:

What happened?

He actually gave three fouls away so he gave enough points away for Craig to have won. Craig took a green with one of his reds as a result. Obviously the dynamic would have changed had it been scored correctly, but Petrov still blew it.

Postby kolompar

Deewee wrote:Top 64 of the Q School order of merit will make up the Challenge tour. Of the current top 100 on the list 71 are from UK and Ireland, 12 from mainland Europe, 9 from China, 7 from rest of Asia and one from Saudi Arabia. Unless they have a good sponsor, the Asians are unlikely to participate anyway.

Four of the events are in mainland Europe which is is a bit disproportional to the player make-up but there will be eight "local" wildcards in each event, also in the UK. Some UK players might just play in the UK events but that would be risky if you want to get on tour.

I think many of the Asians would play, they have their academies in the UK to stay at.

Postby aimlesswandeer

There’s not much diversity again as we near the end of round 3. We’ve got an Indian, a German and a couple from Hong Kong but otherwise it’s Chinese and British (mostly English).

Postby kolompar

Yeah, not going well for mainland Europe which is a shame with the Challenge Tour set up. Ochoiski, Baranowski and Petrov who I think are the most promising are all out and not in the top 64 currently. It's two weaker players who are doing the best, Germany's Felix Frede and Ukraine's Sergey Isaenko, both probably one win away from the Challenge tour.

Postby Alex0paul

I think the format is a load of marmite

Postby vodkadiet

I would like Andy Hicks and Michael Judge to get back on tour. I know that is what Wild wants.

Postby The_Abbott

Is there a link to current QS standings?

Postby Alex0paul

Some pretty uninspiring names left in Q2

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:I would like Andy Hicks and Michael Judge to get back on tour. I know that is what Wild wants.

I Want best possible players on tour i dont want a token 20 something because they young.

i want young players to earn it and after 3 events if they dont earn it then tough they not good enough to do it.

Postby vodkadiet

Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I would like Andy Hicks and Michael Judge to get back on tour. I know that is what Wild wants.

I Want best possible players on tour i dont want a token 20 something because they young.

i want young players to earn it and after 3 events if they dont earn it then tough they not good enough to do it.

I agree with this. If the talent isn't coming through then so be it.

Postby Wildey

People Critizize Q School but i honestly cant think of a better way.

Yes the scoring of frames won not the right way but the Event is.

Before Q School you had pros falling off and being replaced by in many cases worst players than the players who droped off.

With Q School you have a chance to prove that.

However what id like is to play 3 events down to a winner of the event and the 3 winners earn a spot on tour with the others being Ranked on a order of merit and the next 9 also going on tour with a point system to rank them rather than frames won.

Postby TheSaviour

Yep yep. And so this Event 2 comes to an interesting stage. Still Round 5 and Quarter Finals needs to be win in order to book the tour card. It´s still not the end of the world if failing as still Event 3 to go and at least some of the players will get a chance to play in Sheffield 2019 even without a tour card. Or that´s my understanding of things, can well be a misunderstanding / change of a plans.

But, Lucky Vatnani, D Poomjaeng, Lu Ning, Craig Steadman and Mitchell Mann still going strong, as well as already seasoned pros the likes of Andy Hicks, Michael Judge and Jamie Cope. Should would can will be Lu Ning versus Mitchell Mann as a Quarter Final match. Where I would rate Mitchell as a comprehensive favourite. Lucky Vatnani has a chance of a lifetime as he now faces Craig Steadman and his Quarter final match would (will) be against either Hirani or Duffy. But he still needs to deliver AND to play better as it progresses. Which usually (always) is just too much to the talented people and the players.

Zhao Xintong versus D Poomjaeng also on the cards. Where Zhao should (will) book his tour card.

Just a few guesses out there. Hopefully no offence taken if not quite correct.

Postby aimlesswandeer

I think the round robin format, like what they have for the World and European Amateur Championships, might be fairer, as it would give everyone a number of games before the knockout which is then seeded based on performance in the round robin.

I don’t think there’s any seeding in Q School meaning some players may miss out due to unlucky draws.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Cahill, Steadman, Mann and Poomjaeng would be my favourites to qualify. Mann and Steadman are two of the slowest players around and Poom’s supposed comedy routines are extremely irritating and predictable and quite unsporting.

I’d like Brown, Vatnani, Lee and Ploner to win through.

Postby vodkadiet

Who will win the latest 4 'Golden tickets' to get entry to 'Barry and the snooker results factory'?