Post a reply

Re: Q School 2017

Postby Wildey

In the first round Sean O'Sullivan was 3-0 down to Chris Jones since then hes won 12 frames on the spin including a top break of 140

Postby Wildey

Brumby last played on tour in 2003/2004 season winning just 3 matches in 9 tournaments can he make it back?

Postby Wildey

Spot 1 on the 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 main tour will be taken by one of these 8

Luckas Kleckers v Adrian Rosa
Ng On Yee v Ma Tingpeng
Hu Hao v Martin O'Donnell
Ben Fortey v Jamie Rhys Clarke

Only
Adrian Rosa 10 seasons last 2003/2004
and
Martin O'Donnell 4 seasons 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2015/2016 and 2016/2017

have been on the pro tour before

Postby vodkadiet

Simon Lichtenberg took one liberty too many with Vallance and paid the price.

Postby Alex0paul

Adrian Rosa was my favourite player

Postby TheSaviour

So Sean O´Sullivan has top-scored 140. Sean sporting a new, more laid-back approach.

Not.

But that´s no problem; his business-like approach works extremely well to him. I can only think that he should try to take the different approach while playing the longer-format matches. The same goes with Tian Pengfei also. They have many similarities how they work it out. Perhaps they are fancing to make some changes then; forcing players to respect smaller tournaments more. I could only agree and support that. But then they would be some magicians if they could make any changes. Ronnie on the other keeps on doing those quick-fire and crowd-pleasing 147s while playing the Snooker Legends Tour. That could also work. It very much depends how much weight there is. People are never going to just speak and speak about their personal weapons, analyses and qualities. The changes must be made via some hard, physical work. And/ or via some deals.

Postby Alex0paul

TheSaviour wrote:So Sean O´Sullivan has top-scored 140. Sean sporting a new, more laid-back approach.

Not.

But that´s no problem; his business-like approach works extremely well to him. I can only think that he should try to take the different approach while playing the longer-format matches. The same goes with Tian Pengfei also. They have many similarities how they work it out. Perhaps they are fancing to make some changes then; forcing players to respect smaller tournaments more. I could only agree and support that. But then they would be some magicians if they could make any changes. Ronnie on the other keeps on doing those quick-fire and crowd-pleasing 147s while playing the Snooker Legends Tour. That could also work. It very much depends how much weight there is. People are never going to just speak and speak about their personal weapons, analyses and qualities. The changes must be made via some hard, physical work. And/ or via some deals.

Could not agree more

Postby aimlesswandeer

Disappointing results this morning with Petrov and Stefanow losing, I fear it's going to be players from England and China that come through who probably won't add a lot to the tour. Good to see Jackson Page winning though.

Postby aimlesswandeer

aimlesswandeer wrote:Disappointing results this morning with Petrov and Stefanow losing, I fear it's going to be players from England and China that come through who probably won't add a lot to the tour. Good to see Jackson Page winning though.

Kleckers is the only non U.K or Chinese player that's made it through the first three rounds so far, with Drago and Iqbal the only other two in with a shout. Of the UK survivors all bar three are from England. Not great diversity, would hope to see more nationalities on the tour next season, but only if they're good enough, which they're clearly not.

Postby kolompar

Drago is good enough :D
They were a bit unlucky with the draw, the two Poles and Petrov all in probably the toughest quarter. 2nd and 4th quarters look much weaker.
Kleckers and Petrov would play each other in the first round of the second event so hopefully Kleckers qualifies here.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Lilley and Bedford, in their 40s, and Drago, in his 50s, going well in this quarter. Davison and Cope look favourites in their quarter.

Postby aimlesswandeer

kolompar wrote:Drago is good enough :D
They were a bit unlucky with the draw, the two Poles and Petrov all in probably the toughest quarter. 2nd and 4th quarters look much weaker.
Kleckers and Petrov would play each other in the first round of the second event so hopefully Kleckers qualifies here.

For all that I'm bemoaning the lack of young talent, I'd be delighted to see Drago qualify. He's always great entertainment.

I'd like to see Kleckers, Vallance, Page and Drago qualify, though I fear it'll be O'Donnell, Taylor/O'Sullivan, Davison/Cope and Lilley/Hugill.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Shootout quarter finalist Hallworth whitewashed by Hugill. Drago was 2-0 up and in first in frame three, but is now 3-2 down. I don't see him turning it around.

Postby kolompar

4-2 :sad: >-(
That quarter is really weak now, hopefully Hugill makes it through, he's relatively young at 22 and is also friends with Snooker Island owner Roland so we have to support him.

Postby PoolBoy

kolompar wrote:4-2 :sad: >-(
That quarter is really weak now, hopefully Hugill makes it through, he's relatively young at 22 and is also friends with Snooker Island owner Roland so we have to support him.

When he led 2-0, I was hopeful he'd get through....poor Tony!
He'll now just have to go and win his section in next week's tournament. <laugh>

I actually thought it was Wildey, who knows Ashley Hugill? :shrug:

Postby aimlesswandeer

Ng going well, 3-1 up and at the table. Probably Kleckers next, though Martin O'Donnell looks to be the favourite in that quarter.

Sean O'Sullivan winning easily again, at the moment Scotland's only remaining participant, Ross Vallance, looks like being his next opponent, with Allan Taylor likely to be lying in wait.

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:
kolompar wrote:4-2 :sad: >-(

When he led 2-0, I was hopeful he'd get through....poor Tony!
He'll now just have to go and win his section in next week's tournament. <laugh>

I actually thought it was Wildey, who knows Ashley Hugill? :shrug:

OMG Why would anyone want Drago to get through Q School is beyond me hes old and past it might as well have Tony Knowles through

Postby kolompar

Someone needs to raise the average shot time on tour which is very poor thanks to Selby.

Postby Wildey

Jamie O'Neill has been on tour 4 seasons in 3 different spell with a high ranking on 90 he is one of thoes that will never make it as a pro

Postby PoolBoy

Wildey wrote:Jamie O'Neill has been on tour 4 seasons in 3 different spell with a high ranking on 90 he is one of thoes that will never make it as a pro

He's the classic 'journeyman'!

Postby SteveJJ

PoolBoy wrote:
Wildey wrote:Jamie O'Neill has been on tour 4 seasons in 3 different spell with a high ranking on 90 he is one of thoes that will never make it as a pro

He's the classic 'journeyman'!

Surely he'd have to be on tour for an extended period of time for him to be a journeyman let alone a classic one. Seeing he's been on and off the tour so frequently suggests he hasn't hit the heights of journeyman status.

Postby Wildey

kolompar wrote:Someone needs to raise the average shot time on tour which is very poor thanks to Selby.

The avarage shot time of selby?

what utter bullocks

Selby average shot time is between 21 and 24 seconds in free flowing mode the thing is he thinks of a good attacking safety instead of a nothing safety shot that drago plays quickly.

Postby SteveJJ

Wildey wrote:
kolompar wrote:Someone needs to raise the average shot time on tour which is very poor thanks to Selby.

what utter bullocks

Selby average shot time is between 21 and 24 seconds in free flowing mode the thing is he thinks of a good attacking safety instead of a nothing safety shot that drago plays quickly.

Exactly.

The obsession with speed baffles me some times. I'd much rather watch someone who is brilliant at the game with a slower shot time average than someone with a faster one who isn't as good or consistent. Speed is hardly the be and end all that players should be judged on.

Postby PoolBoy

All the players reaching 'Round 5' will have a good platform of points, going into next week's competition.

Looking back at previous Q-Schools that have run the Order-of-Merit over two tournaments - it's extremely tight!

Nobody has ever qualified with under 34 points.

Yet, 36 points has always been enough to make the Tour!

Postby Wildey

SteveJJ wrote:
Wildey wrote:

what utter bullocks

Exactly.

The obsession with speed baffles me some times. I'd much rather watch someone who is brilliant at the game with a slower shot time average than someone with a faster one who isn't as good or consistent. Speed is hardly the be and end all that players should be judged on.

I Think Drago's speed is his downfall as a player

Postby SteveJJ

Wildey wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
Wildey wrote:

what utter bullocks

Exactly.

I Think Drago's speed is his downfall as a player

You could make a similar case for Milkins and Un Nooh.