Post a reply

Re: Q School 2017

Postby likahokeith

Tamctus wrote:Heikki Niva goes through with a 4-1 victory over Darren Cook. Don't know much about Cook but he is far from the worst player in the draw so it's a good win for Niva. China's Ma Tingpeng next up will certainly not be any easier match.

Niva is (was) an international artistic gymnast also and made the switch to full-time snooker just last summer after he failed to qualify for the Rio olympics.

Ma Tingpeng had a chance to attend Q School a few years ago, but he finally withdrew because of visa.

PS: In China, Ma Tingpeng is not the top one.

Postby Wildey

Stephen Craigie spent one season on tour in 2008/2009 and has not played at this level since 2012

He entered the inaugral Q School in 2011 and lost 4-2 to Stuart Carrington in the final match of Q School 3 that year after wins over Zhang Anda, Alex Borg, Michael Wasley and Ben Harrison and has not entered again until now where he Beat Gareth Allen 4-1 to progress to the last 128.

Stephen's Younger brother Sam is currently on tour ranked 96

Postby Tamctus

Wildey wrote:Michael Wasley and Ben Harrison

What are those two up to now btw? Have they quit?

Postby Wildey

Tamctus wrote:
Wildey wrote:Michael Wasley and Ben Harrison

What are those two up to now btw? Have they quit?

Harrison played in q School last year won 3 frames then not played since and Michael Wasley lost in the last 144 of the 2016 WC 10-5 to McManus lost his place on tour and quit snooker

Postby mick745

Sanderson Lam beaten 0-4 by Simon Dent so needs to win QS2 to return to tour.

Postby Wildey

Ian Brumby turned pro for the first time in 1989 at the same time as James Wattana and Nigel Bond he reached a career high ranking of 69 in 1995 before falling off tour in 2001 he returned two years later but fell off immediately.

Can he make it back in 2017?

Postby TheSaviour

thecueview wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Image

Can I use this picture please DanCat?

It is AWESOME!

Yes, good. The late Alex Higgins still having his teeths on. He used to say that the most punishing thing he ever faced was when they removed his teeths in order to get some cancer treatments working.

Tough life we are having. But he had his moments.

We also should pay some respects towards Ronnie´s father giving the most difficult time he faced. 17 years imprisonment. And the conviction or his possible motivies were far from obvious. Obviously it did affect to Ronnie also. So I think I have been too harsh towards him. Hopefully things will not get poor and bad anymore again.

But all those 3 players were or are are a major forces to reckon at. To anyone. If that fact is not appected it will always come back into you. People should just try to enjoy the reality they are currently having. At least I also now do know what not to write. That should help to ease the pressure. If not anything else. Just finding it always easy of having an odd joke with a people from the country I reckon is where sense of humour is originally from. So never been much afraid of crossing the lines. Obviously I have always tend to forget to mention many nice and good current top players.

Those were the things I got in my mind watching that photo. And that COME ON JIMMY! is more like oooohhh come on.. Jimmy. Come on.. Than anything else. But if he is a worth of his reputation he can never ever understand that. Ha haa. rofl Obviously everyone agress that in a perfect world all the things would be discussed over and over until it´s straight. So I do understand all those ever present rallying calls to get things sorted. Or even do suppprt those rallying calls. All the drama included just can be a slightly akward to read or to understand. Just like that thing that should all the weapons top players are possesing always to be used or not. To squander or not.
Last edited by TheSaviour on 11 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

The_Abbott wrote:Knowles makes a good start 2-0 up.

3-0 up now. Russell Morgan is out of his depth here.

Postby The_Abbott

Tony's through to last 128. 4-0 thrashing from the old boy!

Postby The_Abbott

likahokeith wrote:I feel a little bit disappointed to Joel Walker.

Adam Stefanow is a decent player - didn't he almost beat Selby last year?

Postby likahokeith

The_Abbott wrote:
likahokeith wrote:I feel a little bit disappointed to Joel Walker.

Adam Stefanow is a decent player - didn't he almost beat Selby last year?

Because Joel Walker is a former pro, but he's no improvement after relegated.
Of course, Adam Stefanow is a strong player.

Postby PoolBoy

Yeah, I'm expecting Adam Stefanow to be a real threat in this Q-School.

Delighted to see Tony Knowles win, but you just know, that when he plays an opponent of any calibre, he'll get sent packing!

Jason Tart is also through to the next round - Uncle Stephen (Hendry) will pleased!

Postby Dan-cat

PoolBoy wrote:Yeah, I'm expecting Adam Stefanow to be a real threat in this Q-School.

Delighted to see Tony Knowles win, but you just know, that when he plays an opponent of any calibre, he'll get sent packing!

Jason Tart is also through to the next round - Uncle Stephen (Hendry) will pleased!

Is Tony actually gonna go on tour if he gets through?! Wtf!

Postby PoolBoy

I'm sure he would! <laugh>

But, I can't see him getting anywhere near it!

Postby aimlesswandeer

Petrov takes a step closer to becoming the first Estonian pro by beating James Cahill.

Fraser Patrick, who like Cahill fell off tour last year, also struggling.

Postby The_Abbott

aimlesswandeer wrote:Petrov takes a step closer to becoming the first Estonian pro by beating James Cahill.

Fraser Patrick, who like Cahill fell off tour last year, also struggling.

and yet veteran Paul Davison wins comfortably. There is a lot of criticism sometimes about over 40's on the tour but its up to the youngsters to beat them!

Postby PoolBoy

Disaster for James Cahill!
He was already considering quitting the sport, but decided to give it another chance, via Q-School.

But, losing in the first round to a player from Estonia certainly doesn't help!
Unless he wins Q2, I think there's a fair chance that he'll be offski from snooker...

Postby PoolBoy

Probably no surprise to see Reanne Evans losing 1-4 to a very good amateur, Charlie Walters.

Postby likahokeith

PoolBoy wrote:Disaster for James Cahill!
He was already considering quitting the sport, but decided to give it another chance, via Q-School.

But, losing in the first round to a player from Estonia certainly doesn't help!
Unless he wins Q2, I think there's a fair chance that he'll be offski from snooker...

Andres Petrov is not the novice, he almost got the European Champion this year, but still surprising me by defeated James Cahill.

Postby SnookerEd25

TheSaviour wrote:
We also should pay some respects towards Ronnie senior giving the most difficult time he faced. A lenghty imprisonment. And the conviction or his possible motivies were far from obvious.

Well, not really. O'Sullivan senior's victim was an old schoolfriend of mine. Motives might be arguable, but the crime wasn't.

If you don't know about it, if you can't be bothered to find out about it - then leave it alone.

Postby vodkadiet

Hardly anyone in 'Q' school is capable of making a 50 break.

Postby vodkadiet

Badsnookerplayer wrote:3 centuries from 378 frames so far...

I would assume those 3 centuries had quite a few 'flukes' in them....

Postby mick745

Pro's that have dropped this season:

Joe Swail 4-2 Lu Ning
Darryl Hill 4-3 Joshua Thomond
Martin O'Donnell 4-2 Cheng
Sydney Wilson 4-0 Ronnie Blake
Jamie Rhys Clarke 4-0 Duane Jones
Stephen Craigie 4-1 Gareth Allen
Allan Taylor 4-2 Jason Weston
Simon Dent 4-0 Sanderson Lam
Sean O'Sullivan 4-3 Chris Jones
Paul Davison 4-0 Robert Cloherty
Andreas Petrov 4-2 James Cahill
Anthony Fieldsend 4-2 Fraser Patrick
Michael Wild 4-3 James Loft

Those that have lost their first match will have to win in QS2 to get back on tour.