Post a reply

Re: Q School 2017

Postby The_Abbott

Good to see ex boxer Mohammid Ali and Princess Diana's butler Paul Burrell have entered the draw this year <laugh>

I hope that we get a mix of ex-pros (good ones like Hicks and Swail) and some new faces too. I wouldn't mind Evans getting a tour card to see how she goes in a full year.

Tony Knowles must have lost a bet or something :chin:

Postby Alex0paul

When does this begin?

Postby PoolBoy

Alex0paul wrote:When does this begin?

Tuesday 9th May - Saturday 20th May.

Postby Dannyboy

As has already been mentioned, a lot of international entrants. Will the Chinese players be given visas to play in this; as such they're not professionals and wouldn't have World Snooker 'sponsorship' without a tour card. Is that right? Wouldn't it be better if Asian players were given their own Q School in Beijing?

23 nationalities represented next week.

In my opinion, there should be more tour cards offered - up to 136 (an additional 8) and given to more internationals. Instead of the winners of the qualifying events given a tour card, in some cases both finalists should be given one:

-2 x IBSF World Amateur Championship Finalists
-2 x IBSF World U21 Championship Finalists
-2 x European Championship Finalists
-2 x Asian Championship Finalists
-1 x Americas Champion
-1 x African Champion
-1 x Oceanian Champion
-1 x European U21 Champion
-1 x Asian U21 Champion

Postby likahokeith

Dannyboy wrote:As has already been mentioned, a lot of international entrants. Will the Chinese players be given visas to play in this; as such they're not professionals and wouldn't have World Snooker 'sponsorship' without a tour card. Is that right? Wouldn't it be better if Asian players were given their own Q School in Beijing?

23 nationalities represented next week.

In my opinion, there should be more tour cards offered - up to 136 (an additional 8) and given to more internationals. Instead of the winners of the qualifying events given a tour card, in some cases both finalists should be given one:

-2 x IBSF World Amateur Championship Finalists
-2 x IBSF World U21 Championship Finalists
-2 x European Championship Finalists
-2 x Asian Championship Finalists
-1 x Americas Champion
-1 x African Champion
-1 x Oceanian Champion
-1 x European U21 Champion
-1 x Asian U21 Champion

There's no American Championship. Just the Pan American Games which held every four years.

Postby PoolBoy

Yeah, I hope there are no 'visa issues' and all the entrants are able to play.

Just had a look on Snooker.org, and all so far, there are no 'walkovers' due to any drop-outs...
Mind you, the £600 entry fee is non-returnable!

Postby vodkadiet

Mike Hallett is in the draw.

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:Yeah, I hope there are no 'visa issues' and all the entrants are able to play.

Just had a look on Snooker.org, and all so far, there are no 'walkovers' due to any drop-outs...
Mind you, the £600 entry fee is non-returnable!

regarding snooker.org as yet theres very little info about q school coming out from World Snooker therefore theres nothing to report regarding withdrawals of players.

im sure there are a few

Postby PoolBoy

Dan-cat wrote:Tony Knowles and Mike Halllet - is this for real?

Knowles will be 62 next month!

Postby PoolBoy

The_Abbott wrote:Good to see ex boxer Mohammid Ali and Princess Diana's butler Paul Burrell have entered the draw this year <laugh>

I hope that we get a mix of ex-pros (good ones like Hicks and Swail) and some new faces too. I wouldn't mind Evans getting a tour card to see how she goes in a full year.

Tony Knowles must have lost a bet or something :chin:

<laugh>
Some other interesting names in the draw:

Simon Dent : He could get bashed...
Shaun Sultana : Should be tasty...
Richard Height : It would be a tall order if he qualified!

And there's the potential for a Lam (Sanderson) to be thrown in against Lyons (Scott).

I'm sure there are others!

Postby SnookerEd25

PoolBoy wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Tony Knowles and Mike Halllet - is this for real?

Knowles will be 62 next month!

:gramp:

Postby Tamctus

Amy streams available anywhere?

Postby mick745

Hope Joe Steele shows some mettle.

Can Darryl Hill reach the top?

Postby PoolBoy

Tamctus wrote:Amy streams available anywhere?

Not that I'm aware of. :-(

Postby Wildey

no there wont be any streaming

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan - Lu Ning has lost at the first-hurdle! He went down 2-4 to Joe Swail...

Still, he has another chance in the second event.
But, losing this early in the first tournament means he's no chance of qualifying for the Tour via the Q-School Order-of-Merit.

Postby PoolBoy

Ng On Yee has won her first match, defeating Josh Mulholland 4-3. :D

But, she's still got a long way to go - but I'd expect her to beat her next opponent...the 67-year-old Irish veteran, Dessie Sheehan.

Postby likahokeith

PoolBoy wrote:Ng On Yee has won her first match, defeating Josh Mulholland 4-3. :D

But, she's still got a long way to go - but I'd expect her to beat her next opponent...the 67-year-old Irish veteran, Dessie Sheehan.

I forgot to remind that.............Ng On Yee had just made a breakthrough that reached semifinal in 'HK Snooker Open - Event 1' last week.

But when she finished the event, the schedule is too close, I don't know she might be effected or not.

Postby PoolBoy

likahokeith wrote:Does Keishin Kamihashi the first Japanese attending Q School?

I think he is the first player from Japan!

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:Ng On Yee has won her first match, defeating Josh Mulholland 4-3. :D

its unbelievable that he keeps going to q school and at his very very best his highest ranking was 81 in 1985

Postby The_Abbott

Considering the number of 40 somethings winning tournaments lately - the appropriately named Ben Fortey must fancy his chances.

Joe Swail through to the second round (or last 128!)

<ok>

Postby Dan-cat

Blimey, you gotta admire his commitment to the game!!!

'Born in 1949, Sheehan turned professional in 1981. His first match was a 5–1 victory over Vic Harris in the International Open, but he lost all of his other matches during the 1981/1982 season, finishing it with a 5–9 defeat to Dean Reynolds in qualifying for the 1982 World Championship.

The next several seasons came without any success, although Sheehan reached the last 64 at the 1983 Professional Players' Tournament, where Rex Williams beat him 5–1.

In the 1985 UK Championship, he defeated Paul Watchorn 9–7 and George Scott 9–6 and was drawn against Steve Davis in the last 64. Sheehan made a break of 92 in the seventh frame, but won only that frame and was eliminated from the tournament, losing the match 9–1 to Davis. By the end of the season, having earned £1,878 in prize money, he had accumulated enough ranking points to be placed 81st, a career best, for the 1986/1987 season.

That season saw Sheehan record his only quarter-final finish, beating Jack McLaughlin in his first-round match at the 1987 Irish Professional Championship before losing 3–6 to Dennis Taylor.

Slipping down the rankings, Sheehan entered few tournaments during the 1990s, and earned no prize money after the 1992/1993 season. Ranked 451st, he lost his professional status when the secondary UK Tour was introduced in 1997.'

Postby TheSaviour

Lu Ning made a 127 but a (huge dissappointment :mood: :mood: ) couldn´t quite capitalize against, well how I earlier wrote, the best player we have here, Joe Swail. Lu Ning can play too. But nooooo....... An another Quinten Hann.

Joe took it 4-2.

Well played Joe. The best one always wins.

Now, Reanne on action tomorrow. Goes without saying, but obviously after her great showing last month, she do have a great prospects here. Up against Charlie Walters first.

The here ever present, the American pool genius Corey Deuel starts his campaign on thursday.

The once impressive Richard Beckham also on action tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Heikki Niva looks like taking a 2-1 lead after some seriously good playing. But he needs to keep it up now..

Don´t know if there´s a some kind of a mistake, but no sign of Jimmy White´s name on the list. Goes without saying, COME ON JIMMY. However it is. Looks like he still somehow managed to do enough to retain his tour-card without even an effort here (??)
Last edited by TheSaviour on 09 May 2017, edited 3 times in total.

Postby PoolBoy

Mohammed Ali delivers the crucial 'punch' in the 5th frame to 'knock-out' his opponent! <laugh>
Well done to the player from Bahrain!

Postby PoolBoy

TheSaviour wrote:Lu Ning made a 127 but a (huge dissappointment :mood: :mood: ) couldn´t quite capitalize against, well how I earlier wrote, the best player we have here, Joe Swail. Lu Ning can play too. But nooooo....... An another Quinten Hann.

Joe took it 4-2.

Well played Joe. The best one always wins.

Now, Reanne on action tomorrow. Goes without saying, but obviously after his great showing last month, she do have a great prospects here. Up against Charlie Walters first.

The ever present q-schoolist American pool genius Corey Deuel starts his campaign on thursday.

The once impressive Richard Beckham also on action tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Heikki Niva looks like taking a 2-1 lead after some seriously good playing. But he needs to keep it up now..

Don´t know if there´s a some kind of a mistake, but couldn´t find Jimmy White´s name. Goes without saying, COME ON JIMMY. However it is. Looks like he still somehow managed to do enough to retain his tour-card without even an effort here (??).

No. He dropped-off tour.

But Barry Hearn has given him an Invitational Tour Card, along with Ken Doherty and James Wattana.

Although, I understand that he confirmed on his Twitter (before he got 're-instated' to the Tour) that he would probably go to Q-School.

I'll be honest - I don't think Jimmy would have been a certainty to get through Q-School!

Postby Tamctus

Heikki Niva goes through with a 4-1 victory over Darren Cook. Don't know much about Cook but he is far from the worst player in the draw so it's a good win for Niva. China's Ma Tingpeng next up will certainly not be any easier match.

Niva is (was) an international artistic gymnast also and made the switch to full-time snooker just last summer after he failed to qualify for the Rio olympics.