Post a reply

Re: Q School 2017

Postby Ronnie79

Sean O'Sullivan is sh1t as well. Not being bad but what is Joe Swail going to offer the game now. I hope walker and the winner of Carty/Cahill get tour cards

Postby PoolBoy

Dannyboy wrote:Gerard Greene is back on tour isnt he?

He is, yeah!

Postby TheSaviour

Dannyboy wrote:Gerard Greene is back on tour isnt he?

Don´t care so much if he is there or not. He´s an entertaining player, though.

But what should be realised is that it only gets frightening if players actually starts to believe that they shouldn´t use their weapons. Turn a long red down, turn an another down, turn even an another relatively easy one down, yes. That can well work like that also because every player has his or her own so called inventive and creative ideas how to combine defence and attack. But it only starts to get frightening if they really starts to believe that those weapons are something not worth of using. They use their weapons creatively. But the most important thing is that they do use those. Let´s take Jamie Cope for example. I can´t say he did anything wrong or played poorly. He probably did, however, I just can´t possible know what went wrong. So the weapons should be used in order that everyone can enjoy the game. One person can´t reason it all out.

The second thing which is frightening (if it starts to happen) is if players are not anymore fancing their chances to be a world beaters. Let´s take some like Reanne. Surely there is no such statistics or proofs which would say she couldn´t rule these open series also. So she is doing the right thing when she keeps on knocking on the door. There are at least 150 players with similar dreams. And they are all right. They are not proved to be wrong.

Look what happened in mens tennis. Dominick Thiem and Alexander Zverev has made it. It is not anymore about someone to winning it all. There are just scorer of players who all are there or thereabouts. They both have a shout to win a Slam, these days Rafa only has a shout to win Roland Garros, and so on.. And Roger Federer has a shout to win a Slam. That´s a perfect situation. No domination. Or the figures can dominate but that´s not the same thing. When seeing that someone is unstoppable. It is like there´s a democrazy instead of dictatorship. It´s not a ruined game. Anyone with an ability can still find consistent advantages. In a years to come people can´t cope with Thiem; how well he actually did to change the game.

The problem also arise when people just can´t see a flaw.

There are lot´s of so called big people or players out there, but they actually aren´t any world beaters. They even don´t wan´t to be. They probably know "the laws of averages". It is a 50-50 chance if those work or not. Can someone still push through the impressive field, like someone like John Spencer was able to do?? It might well be a 50-50 chance.

I can cope with these things and with the eternal stress. Because I anyway need to be on the top of my analyses if I even wan´t to be here. I am just saying it isn´t that much perfect if people just can´t see a flaw or flaws. Which is obviously what happens when drinking consistently too much.

Postby PoolBoy

Jackson Page has lost 4-1, so will probably just miss-out on an Order of Merit place.

Postby SteveJJ

PoolBoy wrote:Jackson Page has lost 4-1, so will probably just miss-out on an Order of Merit place.

I think in the long run that is probably a blessing in disguise. He's likely to get into most tournaments as a top up player but doesn't have the pressure of having to build up ranking points. Although it would have been good if he had qualified.

Postby likahokeith

PoolBoy wrote:Jackson Page has lost 4-1, so will probably just miss-out on an Order of Merit place.

Jackson Page is in the passive now, but he still has a chance to qualify if Paul Davison and Chen Zifan won in the quarterfinal.

Postby kolompar

Big disappointment from Page, just 1 more frame could have been enough, now he's probably got the tour card for O'Donnell or Swail <doh>

Postby kolompar

SteveJJ wrote:

I think in the long run that is probably a blessing in disguise. He's likely to get into most tournaments as a top up player but doesn't have the pressure of having to build up ranking points. Although it would have been good if he had qualified.

You are right. Also the World U18 and U21 will be in China this year. There were no Chinese players in the U18 the last two times so will be interesting to see Page up against them.

Postby mick745

Duane Jones did pretty well to qualify seeing as he lost his first match in QS1 0-4.

Postby mick745

Chen Zifan's win means Martin O'Donnell will return to the tour I think?

Postby likahokeith

mick745 wrote:Chen Zifan's win means Martin O'Donnell will return to the tour I think?

Not yet. Joe Swail is the fourth now.
If Paul Davison wins the match, Martin O'Donnell will return to the pro tour.

Postby kolompar

Last year Chen Zifan lost to Reanne Evans and Tony Drago in Q School, this year he's through comfortably with only a 4-3 loss to Jamie Cope.

Postby likahokeith

kolompar wrote:Last year Chen Zifan lost to Reanne Evans and Tony Drago in Q School, this year he's through comfortably with only a 4-3 loss to Jamie Cope.

By the way, Jamie Cope declined so fast

Postby Wildey

Confirmed

Billy Joe Castle
Allan Taylor
Lukas Kleckers
Ashley Hugill
Duane Jones
Chen Zifan
Paul Davison
Zhang Yong
Sean O'Sullivan
Joe Swail

only 2 out of 4 will get through

Sanderson Lam
Martin O'Donnell
James Cahill
Jackson Page

Postby Wildey

If Paul Davison wins Martin O'Donnell will remain a pro Cahill's fate is in his own hands all he has to do is win

Postby Wildey

Q School Graduates 2017

Billy Joe Castle age 25 Debut Season 1st and 2nd season on tour
Allan Taylor age 32 Turned Pro 2013/2014 season 5th and 6th season on tour
Lukas Kleckers age 20 Debut Season 1st and 2nd season on tour
Ashley Hugill age 22 Debut Season 1st and 2nd season on tour
Duane Jones age 24 Turned Pro 2015/2016 season 3rd and 4th season on tour
Chen Zifan age ? Debut Season 1st and 2nd season on tour
Paul Davison age 45 Turned Pro 1992/1993 season 19th and 20th season on tour
Zhang Yong age 21 Turned Pro 2015/2016 season 3rd and 4th season on tour
Sean O'Sullivan age 23 Turned Pro 2012/2013 season 5th and 6th season on tour
Joe Swail age 47 Turned Pro 1991/1992 season 26th and 27th season on tour
Sanderson Lam age 23 Turned Pro 2015/2016 season 3rd and 4th season on tour
Martin O'Donnell age 30 Turned Pro 2012/2013 season 5th and 6th season on tour

Postby mick745

I must admit to a slight feeling of dissatisfaction following QS2. I had hoped for new exciting young talent to break through and yet 8 of the 12 are former and returning pro's, the majority british based players with a few of them clearly with their best days behind them.

Postby Alex0paul

Good to see the Outlaw back on

Postby hendry_fan

Many congrats to the players who have managed to earn a spot on the 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 Main Tour via the Q School Order of Merit. :clap:

I see that 2 Grandpas,Swail n Davidson made it. :-)

Brilliant to see that the 20 year old German player Lukas Kleckers made it,as well as our beloved Sonnys freind Hugill making it too. <ok>

Verrrrrry disappointin that no Scots came through. >-( >-(

Postby Dannyboy

Twenty different nationalities represented on the tour this season, out of the 131 tour cards rewarded, which IMO, isn't really enough.

Postby PoolBoy

Dannyboy wrote:Twenty different nationalities represented on the tour this season, out of the 131 tour cards rewarded, which IMO, isn't really enough.

The African Championships conclude tomorrow - although it's difficult finding much info on its progress!
Hopefully, the winner will accept a Tour card and become the 132nd and final player due on next season's circuit.
Probably a player from Egypt?

Postby chengdufan

Chen Zifan was born in 1995 according to Chinese wiki, so he's either 21 or 22.

Postby roy142857

PoolBoy wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:Twenty different nationalities represented on the tour this season, out of the 131 tour cards rewarded, which IMO, isn't really enough.

The African Championships conclude tomorrow - although it's difficult finding much info on its progress!
Hopefully, the winner will accept a Tour card and become the 132nd and final player due on next season's circuit.
Probably a player from Egypt?

African Championship (leastways, what I've found):

viewtopic.php?f=556&t=7263

Postby Wildey

to be honest i couldnt care less what their nationalities are as long as they can perform to a resnable standard

Too many players gets on tour that cant hack it and never will

Brazilian Itaro santos spent 2 seasons on tour playing 16 Matches winning nothing

Welsh player Jackson Page played 2 tournament won 2 matches

theres too much focus on nationalities it doesn't matter if the players are rubbish and losing in qualifiers

Postby mick745

Obviously the players have to be good enough but for me it is about widening the sport's appeal to new markets. There is no reason that what has happened in China cannot happen elsewhere, and it helps if they have a local player that gets some coverage in their own country. The more exclusive the club the less global appeal it will have in my view.

Postby The_Abbott

Jackson Page will still enter most tournaments like Andy Hicks has (Hicks was 6th on list last year Page is 5th this year).

I'm pleased that Joe Swail is back. He was the only oldie I wanted back on the tour. Hopefully he can get some form.

I agree about nationality. Whilst its great to have these tournaments worldwide they have to be able to cut the mustard and several winners from abroad have propped up the ranking list for years whilst someone like Page misses out.

The reason so many 40+'s return is there is so much more money in the game now (potentially) whereas in the past, unless your name is Steve Davis or Jimmy White, you would bow out after losing your tour card. Players like Peter Lines and Gerald Greene probably look at what Anthony Hamilton has achieved this year and think that can be them winning 70k. Problem is Hamilton has always had the talent and underachieved so is capable still whereas some of these other guys are journeymen.