Post a reply

Re: Q School 2017

Postby PoolBoy

Reanne beaten 4-0 by Paul Davison - who's now virtually certain to remain on Tour.
But, Sydney Wilson has lost - so is definitely off the Tour.

Postby The_Abbott

On this form, Davison could be World Snooker champion 2018 :win:

I hope Swail comes through - he probably needs a least one win to get close to the order of merit and do an Andy Hicks next year and appear in every tournament.

Postby The_Abbott

I guess Shaun Sultana was a no show. Shame my expectation of him were raisin.

Postby The_Abbott

Davison v O'Sullivan the top 2 on the order of merit will meet. The winner almost certain of a place on the tour, the loser will have to sweat it out.

Postby Tamctus

The_Abbott wrote:Davison v O'Sullivan the top 2 on the order of merit will meet. The winner almost certain of a place on the tour, the loser will have to sweat it out.

That's what I don't like about this format of gaining places through order of merit. They are top-2 so they could just agree to play 3-3 and basically guarantee a tour place for them both. Doesn't matter which one won the 7th frame and match.

Postby roy142857

Do agree re the risk of players not playing fully, I've always thought the Order of Merit spots should come with some risk to prevent that ... rather early occurrence this time, and if Davison wins he might even be guaranteed a place and could cheerfully throw his next match ... not that I'm saying he would!

Solution is to perhaps take the top 8 players and make them play-off 1 v 8, 2 v 7 etc for the remaining 4 spots.

Postby kolompar

I agree, I preferred when it was 3 Q School events and no OOM.
Davison and O'Sullivan almost guarenteed now, but O'Donnell loses, 4-3 against Ashley Carty who made a century in the decider :hatoff:
Estonia's O'Sullivan Andres Petrov loses 4-3 to Gareth Allen, I think Petrov will be favorite for the World U21 title now.
Zhang Yong and Jamie Clarke look good for the other two OOM places but Clarke has a tough draw so he might miss out once again. Chen Zifan, Jackson Page and Charlie Walters also have a chance, Page and Walters could play in the last 16 while the winner could play Chen Zifan.

Postby roy142857

Aside from O'Sullivan and Davison, the next 2 'still active' players on the Order of Merit are in different quarters of the draw (Zhang Yong and Jamie Clarke ... and next will be Chen Zifan and Charlie Walters, and possibly Jackson Page who are all in the last quarter (but avoiding each other in Round 4). Possible that if the winner of O'Sullivan/Davidson, Zhang Yong and Jamie Clarke all win their quarters, there might be room for someone quite a bit further back currently to slip in via the Order of Merit.

Postby kolompar

Also there's still hope that O'Sullivan whitewashes Davison and 3 others get ahead of him.

Postby The_Abbott

The top quarter look to me like it will be Duane Jones who is way back on the list after a shocker in Q1. I think it will be him v Hicks/Yong for a tour place in first quarter.

second quarter could be won by either Swail or Clarke.

Third quarter is the rough one to predict - Davison in form. Carty playing well. Allen, Cahill or Osullivan - any one of them could win a place on tour.

final quarter will be the utter legend that is Bazza Pinches v Jackson Page

Postby The_Abbott

kolompar wrote:Also there's still hope that O'Sullivan whitewashes Davison and 3 others get ahead of him.

Amen to that :happy:

Postby The_Abbott

Wayne Brown could be a dark house. Getting through undetected and made 2 centuries so far in Q2. And he's in that age band that is doing well the over 45's!

Postby Alex0paul

Swail on the ropes

Postby roy142857

And Swail fights back off the ropes (took the last 2 frames to win) ... might book a place through OoM looking at the rankings

Going to be some tight and nervy matches for the rest of Round 4!

Postby Alex0paul

Snowy on fire

Postby kolompar

Jamie Clarke misses out once again, losing to Joel Walker 4-1.
Paul Davison's won 2 frames so I think he's now 100% back for his 19th and 20th pro seasons. Can he improve on his highest ever rank of world number 70? :|

Postby likahokeith

Barry Pinches is really slow, although he usually won by 4-0, it had taken a lot of time; his four-frame-game almost equals to six-frame-game.

Postby likahokeith

roy142857 wrote:Davison edges O'Sullivan, 3 frames in this perhaps enough for Sean to get back on Tour?

I think there is 85%

Postby kolompar

Sean is back certainly.
Jackson Page needs another win to get a tour card, plays his countryman Ben Jones who hasn't done much before so a good chance for Jackson.

Postby likahokeith

kolompar wrote:Sean is back certainly.
Jackson Page needs another win to get a tour card, plays his countryman Ben Jones who hasn't done much before so a good chance for Jackson.

There's another question: Will Martin O'Donnell be the unlucky man?

Postby Wildey

likahokeith wrote:
kolompar wrote:Sean is back certainly.

There's another question: Will Martin O'Donnell be the unlucky man?

Martin O'Donnell is a rank outsider unkess both Jackson Page and Chen Zifan gets hammered tomorrow

Postby kolompar

And even then Hu Hao and Joe Swail can overtake him, but Zhang Yong and Paul Davison qualifying directly could save him :-D

Postby likahokeith

Last 16
Hu Hao vs Duane Jones
Zhang Yong vs Alex Davies

Lu Ning vs Sanderson Lam
Joel Walker vs Joe Swail

Ashley Carty vs James Cahill
Paul S Davison vs Thomas Dowling

Kishan Hirani vs Chen Zifan
Ben Jones vs Jackson Page

Just like IBSF World Championship.................

Postby vodkadiet

Is Pinches out of the equation?

Please say yes.......

Postby mick745

7 of the last sixteen not been on tour before so good chance we'll get some more debutants. At least one will come from the bottom half of the draw.

Postby Wildey

Remarkable performances from Sean O'Sullivan to retain his pro status.

theres been quite a few matches where hes had to come from behind

and even in losing to Paul Davison forcing a decider from 2-0 down was ultimately what secured his status for another 2 seasons.

however now he needs to perform against the big boys

Postby Ronnie79

It doesn't say much for snooker when a sh1thouse like Davison tops the order of Merit. Where are all the young talent. Clarke messed up again. Hallworth and these younger players aren't up to it. If it turns out to be 16 Chinese players running the game in 5 years I'm not watching