Post a reply

Re: Q School 2017

Postby SteveJJ

vodkadiet wrote:Hardly anyone in 'Q' school is capable of making a 50 break.

If you learnt everything within a couple of days of attending school then it wouldn't be much of an education!

We're up to 4 centuries.

Postby SnookerEd25

Aye. Perhaps with no television cameras, they've decided not to deploy the use of buckets for pockets.

Postby Wildey

mick745 wrote:Pro's that have dropped this season:

Joe Swail 4-2 Lu Ning
Darryl Hill 4-3 Joshua Thomond
Martin O'Donnell 4-2 Cheng
Sydney Wilson 4-0 Ronnie Blake
Jamie Rhys Clarke 4-0 Duane Jones
Stephen Craigie 4-1 Gareth Allen
Allan Taylor 4-2 Jason Weston
Simon Dent 4-0 Sanderson Lam
Sean O'Sullivan 4-3 Chris Jones
Paul Davison 4-0 Robert Cloherty
Andreas Petrov 4-2 James Cahill
Anthony Fieldsend 4-2 Fraser Patrick
Michael Wild 4-3 James Loft

Those that have lost their first match will have to win in QS2 to get back on tour.

Duane Jones has proberbly won more matches at Q School than anyone else so a bit surprise he lost 4-0

Postby SnookerEd25

Wildey wrote:Duane Jones has proberbly won more matches at Q School than anyone else so a bit surprise he lost 4-0

Decline!

Postby PoolBoy

likahokeith wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Ng On Yee through 4-0

Did this match short or long?

Looking at the frame scores, it seems that it was a very straightforward win for Ng On Yee!

67-7
87-8
71-9
95-32

Dessie Sheehan is a 'dinosaur' these days! Not surprised he was out-played here.
His total points of 56 was beaten in every frame by Hong Kong woman...

Postby The_Abbott

I'd imagine there is some pressure out there which could explain the lack of 50 breaks (or just some not very good players!).

Hopefully the quality will show later in the tournament once the players making up the numbers are excused.

When they rank the players at the end (to get the final 4 places on the tour) do they take into frame count? (like goal difference in football?)

Postby SteveJJ

If ever there was a tournament to win playing ugly then it would be this. I'm sure having the highest break of the tournament is no consolation to Lu Ning at the moment.

Postby Wildey

The_Abbott wrote:I'd imagine there is some pressure out there which could explain the lack of 50 breaks (or just some not very good players!).

Hopefully the quality will show later in the tournament once the players making up the numbers are excused.

When they rank the players at the end (to get the final 4 places on the tour) do they take into frame count? (like goal difference in football?)

These players have spent £600 and unless you get on the pro tour you get nothing from it.

the pressure involved is massive

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I know someone who entered. Gave up his job to practise, stuck his £600 in and got beat in the first round. Understandably gutted. Admire him for giving it a go as it would have been easier not to.

Postby PoolBoy

The_Abbott wrote:I'd imagine there is some pressure out there which could explain the lack of 50 breaks (or just some not very good players!).

1 Point for every frame won.
Players level on points? then most points won in Q1 over Q2.
Then least frames lost overall
Then least frames lost in Q1
I think there are further tie-break criteria!

Postby kolompar

Corey Deuel watch: looks like he's whitewashed by German champion Simon Lichtenberg. That quarter looks the weakest and Lichtenberg was scoring well so he might even qualify.

And do we know if that's women's world 9-ball champ Han Yu entered? No show for the first match.

Postby SteveJJ

Digressing from this tournament but linked to some peoples surprise at the lack of centuries.....

People have been tipping Oliver Lines for big things....he didn't make a century this season just gone.

Postby kolompar

Tony Drago made 2 in 34 frames in last year's Q School. Think it was his best frame/century rate in one season.

Postby Wildey

Nikolas Charalambous the Only time he was seen at this level was in 2 PTC in 2011 He lost both his matches 4-1 to James Brown and 4-1 to Douglas Hogan

Postby Wildey

He pushed the highly fancied Adam Stefanow all the way to the final black in the decider but Stefanow won 4-3 to progress in to the last 64 or more accurate Last 16 in section 3 of the draw

Postby Wildey

Tony Knowles was one of the biggest stars of 80s snooker he was in the tabloids more than Most during that time from the front page to the back page.

But his time has been and at 61 he wont make it on tour But obviously he still likes to compete with the youngsters

Postby TheSaviour

The best player around, Joe Swail keeps on progressing like a train. Sean O´Sullivan also doing what he can do and that´s way too good to even be here. Tough luck to Corey, Reanne, Heikki amongs many others. Ng On Yee on the races. Surely that´s surprising.

I don´t have that good knowledge about the tournament events formats.

Good news so far also to the many younghearthed people so obviously fancing Sydney Wilson-bandwagon.
Last edited by TheSaviour on 13 May 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Postby kolompar

Easy 4-1 win for Tony Drago against Phil O'Kane, who made a century in the first round :D

Postby aimlesswandeer

Dan-cat wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:How did Ng win that first frame? She was about 60 points down.

Buy scoring more than 60?

Ah, is that how it works?

Postby gallantrabbit

No signs of any superstars about...disappointing...most likely se fellows like Swail and Cope through just because of their experience. And they're hardly going to make waves next season...

Postby aimlesswandeer

Paul Davison another in with a good chance, along with Greene and Lines getting through the EBSA the future's not looking bright. I wonder if Hearn will introduce a development tour to try and nurture the talent of the future?

Postby mick745

Yes, although there are some exciting young players coming through on tour none are British. I expect the majority of Q School graduates will be hardened ex-pros rather than new younger players coming through, and let's face it the reason the former pros are in Q School is because they did not really set the tour alight in the first place.

Postby Tamctus

aimlesswandeer wrote:How did Ng win that first frame? She was about 60 points down.

She made a 63 clearance and won 64-60 :hatoff:

Postby aimlesswandeer

Tamctus wrote:

She made a 63 clearance and won 64-60 :hatoff:

Thank you. That's an impressive effort, as is fighting back to 3-3 (and 33-33).

Postby Vallomas

And Ng won the decider on the colours!

Massive win for her, but I feel a pity for Swail, who shall consider retirement as he needs to win the next tournament.