Post a reply

Re: Q School 2017

Postby roy142857

Hugill wraps it up 4-2.

He was 10th on the English Amateur Tour this year, but was clearly coming into form - reached the semis in the final event including wins over Saqib Nasir and Kuldesh Johal before losing to the event winner Steven Hallworth.

Postby PoolBoy

I see that Estonian player, Andres Petrov is due to play Lukas Kleckers in the first round of the next tournament - where he'll get a bye through to play...Ashley Hugill and another bye! What a stroke of luck !

Postby Dan-cat

PoolBoy wrote:I see that Estonian player, Andres Petrov is due to play Lukas Kleckers in the first round of the next tournament - where he'll get a bye through to play...Ashley Hugill and another bye! What a stroke of luck !

A decent head start!

Postby mick745

The game is extremely popular in Germany currently so having their own professional player is excellent news.

Postby roy142857

Yes good to have a German player. Even though I think he's an excellent prospect I expect him to struggle at first, it may take the length of the two year card to get to the level needed - but he wouldn't get there without playing regularly at the Pro level.

Postby SteveJJ

Dan-cat wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:I see that Estonian player, Andres Petrov is due to play Lukas Kleckers in the first round of the next tournament - where he'll get a bye through to play...Ashley Hugill and another bye! What a stroke of luck !

A decent head start!

And 8 frames added to the order of merit!

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:Yes good to have a German player. Even though I think he's an excellent prospect I expect him to struggle at first, it may take the length of the two year card to get to the level needed - but he wouldn't get there without playing regularly at the Pro level.

yea obviously its a massive step up in quality for him but hes qualified through a tough system of great amateurs and hardened pros and deserves his place

Postby PoolBoy

Allan Taylor (England) (age 32) - Retains his Tour place
Ashley Hugill (England) (age 22) - Tour debut
Billy Joe Castle (England) (age 25) - Tour debut
Lukas Kleckers (Germany) (age 20) - Tour debut

On reflection, a very good 'return' with 3 young players bringing fresh-blood to the Tour.

Postby Alex0paul

Pretty pleased with those 4

Postby Alex0paul

mick745 wrote:I don't necessary think it would be a bad thing for Jackson Page to miss out at this stage. It is a big ask to turn professional so young especially when people will be saying he's the next big thing.

Another couple of years experience first would not hurt one bit.

He has a decent draw in Event 2.

Postby Alex0paul

vodkadiet wrote:William Lemons close to a tour card now. However, defeat for him tomorrow will surely leave a very sour taste in the mouth.

He will need some Lemon Aid after that defeat

Postby Ronnie79

PoolBoy wrote:Allan Taylor (England) (age 32) - Retains his Tour place

On reflection, a very good 'return' with 3 young players bringing fresh-blood to the Tour.

Where did you get Castle's age can't get any info on him ?.

Postby PoolBoy

Ronnie79 wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Allan Taylor (England) (age 32) - Retains his Tour place

Where did you get Castle's age can't get any info on him ?.

Here's a couple of articles on Billy Joe Castle. - It seems he 'won' his place at Q-School by topping some South of England order-of-merit. http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/genera ... fessional/

https://www.cuestars.co.uk/championship ... or-castle/

Both items refer to Castle as being 24 years-old, but they're from about 8 months ago - so I've taken the liberty of assuming he's now 25...
He may still be 24, but if he is, will certainly be turning 25 in the next few months.

Billy Joe Castle - sounds like a great name for a boxer!! <laugh>

Postby The_Abbott

I think Allan Taylor narrowly missed out on the 1 year list so I guess deserves a place on the tour more than the other pros looking to retain status.

Good to see another nationality on the tour. And Billy Joe Castle - what a great name!

Postby The_Abbott

Paul Davison has a bye in round 1 so probably just needs to win 2 games to get the best of the 4 runner's up places.

He's never done anything on the tour in all the years he's been there but I guess it pays the bills the money he does make!

Postby PoolBoy

The_Abbott wrote:Paul Davison has a bye in round 1 so probably just needs to win 2 games to get the best of the 4 runner's up places.

He's never done anything on the tour in all the years he's been there but I guess it pays the bills the money he does make!

Yeah, he's in a very strong position, is Paul 'snowy' Davison.

The order-of-merit table adds an extra dimension to this weeks games!

Top 8 - as it stands:

Paul Davison 26
Sean O'Sullivan 24
Daniel Ward 23
William Lemons 22
------------------------------
Martin O'Donnell 21
Zhang Yong 21
Jamie Rhys Clarke 20
Ross Vallance 19

Postby kolompar

Brandon Sargeant did well in Q School last year finishing 8th on the order of merit and also reached the final of the European U21. This year he didn't win a match.

Postby PoolBoy

kolompar wrote:Brandon Sargeant did well in Q School last year finishing 8th on the order of merit and also reached the final of the European U21. This year he didn't win a match.

I'm surprised he's performed so poorly here.
And Lu Chenwei has also disappointed and is eliminated completely.

Postby The_Abbott

oh well, Mike Hallet is out. Try again next year Mike. You might even nick more than 1 frame :D

Postby Alex0paul

The_Abbott wrote:oh well, Mike Hallet is out. Try again next year Mike. You might even nick more than 1 frame :D

He was the future of the game

Postby The_Abbott

Hicks is 2-0 over Dessie. He needs to win his quarter to have any chance of getting a tour card as he only won 3 frames in Q1.

Might not see him at the Shoot Out next year.

Postby PoolBoy

Completely underwhelming effort from Adam Stefanow!
I really expected him to 'show up' at this and book a place on Tour.
But, with early defeats in both events, he won't be getting any top-up invites now.

Malta's Brian Cini is also sent-packing!

Postby PoolBoy

The female Chinese 9-ball supremo hasn't appeared, so is out.

Obviously, I don't know her circumstances, but what a waste of £600 plus cancelled hotel reservations etc.
Perhaps she had a sponsor who was 'footing the bill'?!

But, back at the actual action, Darryl Hill has now officially dropped-off the Tour after his defeat this-afternoon.

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:Completely underwhelming effort from Adam Stefanow!
I really expected him to 'show up' at this and book a place on Tour.
But, with early defeats in both events, he won't be getting any top-up invites now.

Malta's Brian Cini is also sent-packing!

yea very bad showing from stefanow

however looking at his results for the season apart from a win over Woollaston as soon as he came across a decent player he lost

Postby Morinas77

Joel Walker still lost to Stefanow 0-4 last week. Walker has been quite disappointing since he made the quarters in Wales years ago. Next round it's Cope vs Walker, another big name match.
Last edited by Morinas77 on 16 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

I wonder how many players are leaving the venue now thinking "Well, what a waste of £600 that was! I am completely useless!"