Post a reply

Re: Q School 2017

Postby Wildey

mick745 wrote:Obviously the players have to be good enough but for me it is about widening the sport's appeal to new markets. There is no reason that what has happened in China cannot happen elsewhere, and it helps if they have a local player that gets some coverage in their own country. The more exclusive the club the less global appeal it will have in my view.

But Qualifying through Africa or Australasia or America will not make these players ready for life on tour they got to mix it with the best and the Best Amataur players are Chinese and British.

its counter productive having a rubbish player from Brazil that wont encourage anyone to get their cue out in Brazil.

it will mean more if they can do the traveling and Qualify via World Amateur or Q School rather than playing a mate in a rio club.

we got to strive for best possible players on tour and not because you got born in Australia or America

there are better british players that has never played on tour than some that have and all because of their nationality.

Postby roy142857

The thing that might happen someday is a 'hidden gem' emerge from some unexpected country or other. Chances are they'd still struggle in their first two years, but that exposure to the Pro Tour might be enough to lift their game to another level. There's simply not enough tournaments of the right standard to go the IBSF route - just two a year if you're under 21, just one if you're over. Don't think it damages snooker to have a few such players on the main Tour.

Postby kolompar

Igor was exactly that hidden gem. And I would rather have a dozen of Itaro Santoses on tour instead of all the useless Brits like Duane Jones, O'Donnell, Taylor, Davison who add absolutely nothing to the tour.
Don't get why there's no Americas nomination for two years now and there was no African last year. Have they given up on trying to get into the Olympics?

Postby Wildey

kolompar wrote:Igor was exactly that hidden gem. And I would rather have a dozen of Itaro Santoses on tour instead of all the useless Brits like Duane Jones, O'Donnell, Taylor, Davison who add absolutely nothing to the tour.
Don't get why there's no Americas nomination for two years now and there was no African last year. Have they given up on trying to get into the Olympics?

He would have been better prepared and stand a better chance had he come through differently.

If your good your good and you would qualify a more challenging route

and Roy there Might be a gem in Britain in the same way that doesent have the same fast track route other nationals have

Postby Tamctus

Wildey wrote:But Qualifying through Africa or Australasia or America will not make these players ready for life on tour they got to mix it with the best and the Best Amataur players are Chinese and British.

its counter productive having a rubbish player from Brazil that wont encourage anyone to get their cue out in Brazil.

it will mean more if they can do the traveling and Qualify via World Amateur or Q School rather than playing a mate in a rio club.
Neither will not having a chance to even qualify to play on tour prepare them. It just isn't financially possible for many European let alone African or American players to take part in Q school. I wonder how many British players would make the trip to China or Brazil if the Q school was held there?

To have a "rubbish player" qualify is everything but counter-productive and if anything will encourage young players to pick up the cue. Why? Because they know they have a chance to get on tour and play against the best. The chance to gain a tour place will only improve the comptetition and help develop the game whereas having no prize will never raise the competition status.

Postby Wildey

World Snooker needs to developed a more realistic way of qualifying for the tour that contains q school events open to every national not just contained within a region or country. until then I say tough.