Post a reply

Re: Q School 2016

Postby roy142857

Cáo Yǔpéng reclaims his Tour place.

Back in 2011/12 and on into the start of the next season, he looked like the next big thing, now he has two years in which to re-find that sort of form.

(Wonder what happened to have him slip so badly?)

Postby PoolBoy

roy142857 wrote:Cáo Yǔpéng reclaims his Tour place.

Back in 2011/12 and on into the start of the next season, he looked like the next big thing, now he has two years in which to re-find that sort of form.

(Wonder what happened to have him slip so badly?)

Good to see him back! He'll certainly have benefited from his experience on Tour last time. He's a little older now and could be one to look out for over the next two seasons.

Latest:

Joe Roberts 0-4 Cao Yupeng
Daniel Womersley 2-3 Fang Xiongman
Chen Zhe 2-1 David Lilley
Christopher Keogan 2-0 Marc J Davis

Postby roy142857

Chris Keogan claims a Tour Card

Dan Womersley takes Fāng Xióngmàn to a decider having been 3-0 down

Postby PoolBoy

Latest:

Christopher Keogan 4-0 Marc J Davis
Daniel Womersley 3-3 Fang Xiongman
Chen Zhe 3-1 David Lilley

Womersley has recovered from 0-3 to 3-3 against Fang Xiongman - decider alert!

AS Wildey noted earlier, Christopher Keogan has been a regular on the PTCs over recent years. He's now earned a two-year professional card - I wonder how he'll get on?
I'd imagine, for a first year pro, the aim would be to 'consolidate', get a few wins and try to leave yourself in a position to push-on in the second year, with the aim being to clinch an automatic top-64 slot.

Postby PoolBoy

As Roy said, while I was typing, Chen Zhe has made it! Great result for him after being close to a return before!

Chen Zhe 4-1 David Lilley
Daniel Womersley 3-3 Fang Xiongman
Last edited by PoolBoy on 16 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby roy142857

Going to be tough for Joe Roberts and David Lilley having to play tomorrow after the emotions of this, Roberts has Sonnie O'Sullivan, and really tough match for david Lilley against Jason Devaney ...

Marc Davis not in action 'til Thursday, Joe O'connor will be a tough opponent though

Postby PoolBoy

Chen Zhe 4-1 David Lilley
Daniel Womersley 3-4 Fang Xiongman

Fang Xiongman wins 4-3!
A great day for the Chinese - 3 more players now on Tour!

Postby roy142857

Womersley back in action Wednesday against the winner of Hritik Jain v Jason Turnbull

Anyone any thoughts on whether needing to survive to claim a possible spot on frames won adds extra pressure?

Postby PoolBoy

roy142857 wrote:Womersley back in action Wednesday against the winner of Hritik Jain v Jason Turnbull

Anyone any thoughts on whether needing to survive to claim a possible spot on frames won adds extra pressure?

Yeah, I'd say it definitely adds another dimension.
Although there will be 4 very gutted players tonight, they've all got a great 'platform' of points on-the-board to take into the final qualifier.

Interestingly, Ng On-Yee plays James Silverwood in the first round with the winner due to play Christopher Keogan - but, as he's (Keogan) already qualified, they're effectively playing for 8 points!
If my arithmetic is correct, the top of the (guaranteed points) Order of Merit looks like this:

1. Daniel Womersley 27

2. Marc J Davis 24

3. Jamie Barrett 23

4. Adam Duffy 22
= Ian Preece 22

6. David Lilley 21
= Eddie Manning 21

8. Antony Parsons 20
= Joe Roberts 20

Postby bluelagoon

What if Womersley, Lilley, Davids or Roberts (player X) get to Round 5 or even the final in Q School 2 and then playing a good friend (player Y). So they know, whether they win or loose, they would have a tour card, because of the number of frames they already won. But their opponent in this Q school 2 round 5 or final could have lost his first round match in Q School 1. So player X could let player Y win the match..... Hmmmm.......
This format could lead to some possible ominous results. Or is this just a mad conspiracy theory? What do you think?

Postby roy142857

Just a quick look through and I can see potential for two 'dead' matches as final matches - Ant Parsons could play Marc Davis, and one of Lilley, Preece or Womersley could be against Adam Duffy. Depending on other results, I guess a Preece or Womersley against Lilley in the fifth round could be 'dead' too.

Yes indeed I agree with Blue Lagoon, the set up bothers me, the problem is not just that it could happen, but if results fell that way even with the loser fully trying, it can unfairly leave suspicion that they didn't.

Postby fridge46

PoolBoy wrote:If my arithmetic is correct, the top of the (guaranteed points) Order of Merit looks like this:

1. Daniel Womersley 27

2. Marc J Davis 24

No, your arithmetic is not correct (either that or you copied from snooker.org!). There are 6 rounds in each qschool, so the maximum points available is 24 - so how you (or snooker.org) got 27 for Womersley, and 24 for non-qualifier Davis, is beyond me.

EDIT: Apologies, I think you have already added points for event 2. Below is how things stand just taking into account Event 1 - so comparing everyone equally. Sorry for being judgemental

This is the OOM I have calculated:

1. Womersley, Daniel 23
2. Lilley, David 21
3. Davis, Marc 20
3. Roberts, Joe 20
5. Barrett, Jamie 19
5. Stefanow, Adam 19
7. Duffy, Adam 18
7. Preece, Ian 18
9. Blackwell, Simon 17
9. Manning, Eddie 17
9. Steadman, Craig 17
12. Parsons, Antony 16
13. Casey, Greg 15
13. Cini, Brian 15
13. Hugill, Ashley 15
13. Lyu Haotian 15
13. On Yee, Ng 15
13. Sargeant, Brandon 15
19. Evans, Reanne 14
20. Collumb, Michael 13
20. Cooper, Joshua 13
20. Davies, Alex 13
20. Green, Gareth 13
20. Heathcote, Louis 13
20. Hicks, Andy 13
20. Pinhey, Haydon 13
27. Greene, Gerard 12
27. Lyu Chenwei 12

I have just listed those that reached Round 4.

Postby PoolBoy

I'm adding the 'guaranteed points' from Q-2.

2 players have already 'dropped out' and 4 players have qualified - their scheduled opponents therefore advance, gaining 4 points.
Plus, some players have 'byes' into the 2nd round of Q-2. That gives them all 4 points.
So, I stick by my ranking list.

Postby kolompar

So only 6 Chinese players entered but half of them have already qualified. I hope Lyu Haotian can join them too.
And I don't really like this order of merit either. They should have done a playoff for the top 32 players on the OOM or something. And what if there will be more than 4 players tied?

Postby Wildey

Q School Qualifiers

Cao Yupeng Pro Debut 2011/2012 6th and 7th season on tour
Christopher Keogan Pro Debut 2016/2017 1st and 2nd season on tour
Chen Zhe Pro Debut 2012/2013 3rd and 4th season on tour
Fang Xiongman Pro Debut 2016/2017 1st and 2nd season on tour

Postby PoolBoy

kolompar wrote:So only 6 Chinese players entered but half of them have already qualified. I hope Lyu Haotian can join them too.
And I don't really like this order of merit either. They should have done a playoff for the top 32 players on the OOM or something. And what if there will be more than 4 players tied?

I read that if players are equal on points, then the player who scored most in Q1 is deemed to have finished higher.
Player A: 20 + 16 = 36
Player B: 14 + 22 = 36
Player A would 'win' in this scenario.

Postby PoolBoy

Order of Merit as it stands:

1. Daniel Womersley 27
2. Marc J Davis 24
3. Jamie Barrett 23
= Adam Stefanow 23
----------------------------------
5. Adam Duffy 22
= Ian Preece 22
7. David Lilley 21
8. Eddie Manning 21
= Craig Steadman 21

Postby PoolBoy

Ng On-Yee has beaten James Silverwood 4-1.
Silverwood lost by the same score line in Q1...to Reanne Evans.
No doubt he'll get a 'ribbing' when he gets back to his club - having lost in both events to different women...but, that would be totally unjustified!
Both Ng On-Yee and Reanne Evans have had strong showings in this Q-School.

Postby PoolBoy

Ng On-Yee's win takes her to 6th in the ratings - and David Lilley has now gone 2nd.

1. Daniel Womersley 27
2. David Lilley 25
3. Marc J Davis 24
4. Jamie Barrett 23
= Adam Stefanow 23
6. Ng On-Yee 23
7. Adam Duffy 22
= Ian Preece 22

Postby kolompar

PoolBoy wrote:I read that if players are equal on points, then the player who scored most in Q1 is deemed to have finished higher.
Player A: 20 + 16 = 36
Player B: 14 + 22 = 36
Player A would 'win' in this scenario.

Thanks, so that gives the last 4 losers in Q1 a good chance.

Meanwhile, Tony Drago beats Ben Harrison 4-0 :D Doesn't get any easier as he has Mitchell Travis next, who's beaten him in a PTC and reached the last 32 of the 2013 UK.

Postby PoolBoy

1. Daniel Womersley 27
2. David Lilley 25
3. Marc J Davis 24
= Joe Roberts 24
5. Jamie Barrett 23
= Adam Stefanow 23
7. Ng On-Yee 23
8. Adam Duffy 22
= Ian Preece 22

Postby PoolBoy

Reanne Evans scored 80 points in frame 3 of her current match - but still lost the frame!

Edit: She ended up losing the match 4-1 to Ian John Ali. Disappointing - that's her eliminated from Q-School. :-(

Meanwhile, 17-year-old Welshman Tyler Rees (European U18 Champion) has beaten Stephen Ormerod 4-2 to reach the last-16 in his section.

Postby PoolBoy

It's 'all over' and a swift exit, for Gerard Greene! He's lost 4-1 to Irish 'veteran' Joe Delaney.

Postby PoolBoy

Craig Steadman has moved into the mix!

1. Daniel Womersley 27
2. David Lilley 25
3. Craig Steadman 25
4. Marc J Davis 24
= Joe Roberts 24
6. Jamie Barrett 23
= Adam Stefanow 23
8. Ng On-Yee 23

Postby Wildey

Daniel Womersley who had a great Q School 1 could come unstuck in dramatic fashion this evening He is 3-0 down to Hritik Jain of India whos only outing in a PTC was a Asian Tour event in 2015 he lost 4-0 to Tom Ford in the last 128

Postby PoolBoy

Eddie Manning's win has moved him up the rankings - while Ng On-Yee slips out of the top 8.
Big move for Poland's Adam Stefanow - up from 6th to 2nd.

1. Daniel Womersley 27
2. Adam Stefanow 27
3. David Lilley 25
4. Craig Steadman 25
= Eddie Manning 25
6. Marc J Davis 24
= Joe Roberts 24
8. Jamie Barrett 23