Post a reply

Re: Q School 2016

Postby Alex0paul

Wasn't Ian Preece one of the Young Players of Distinction?

Postby vodkadiet

Please let Pinches lose. This man is the cancer of the tour.

Postby aimlesswandeer

vodkadiet wrote:Please let Pinches lose. This man is the cancer of the tour.

Just over four hours and still in frame six. He's the type of player that fans want to see...

Postby vodkadiet

Alex0paul wrote:Wasn't Ian Preece one of the Young Players of Distinction?

Yes; he won the World Amateur Championship, and this qualified him thus.

What happened to the 'Young players of distinction'? It lasted one year. Maguire, Murphy, Carter, and Day were among them.

What a waste of time that was!

Postby aimlesswandeer

Disappointed at the lack of emerging young talent at Q School. A lot of journeyman ex-pros seem to be thriving.

Postby vodkadiet

aimlesswandeer wrote:

Just over four hours and still in frame six. He's the type of player that fans want to see...

He played Simon Bedford in a best of 9 and the match lasted over 7 hours. I cannot remember the exact time but the man should not be allowed to play. Ebdon gets crucified for slow play but Pinches is manifold worse.

Postby vodkadiet

aimlesswandeer wrote:Disappointed at the lack of emerging young talent at Q School. A lot of journeyman ex-pros seem to be thriving.

Yes, it shows a lack of interest in snooker.

Postby aimlesswandeer

vodkadiet wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:

He played Simon Bedford in a best of 9 and the match lasted over 7 hours. I cannot remember the exact time but the man should not be allowed to play. Ebdon gets crucified for slow play but Pinches is manifold worse.

Yeah, at least Ebbo can play a bit when he wants to, Pinches just seems to turn every frame into a scrappy grindfest.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:Disappointed at the lack of emerging young talent at Q School. A lot of journeyman ex-pros seem to be thriving.

182 players payed £600 a head over 100k to play in q School more than ever before the intrest is there but most young players tries to blast players off the table and against lines, Steadman etc it wont work.

Postby vodkadiet

Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

182 players payed £600 a head over 100k to play in q School more than ever before the intrest is there but most young players tries to blast players off the table and against lines, Steadman etc it wont work.

I apologise Wild. I overreacted. I find Pinches the most annoying player I have ever seen. I hear what you're saying. I understand that you know the game better than virtually everyone else. <ok>

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:
Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

I apologise Wild. I overreacted. I find Pinches the most annoying player I have ever seen. I hear what you're saying. I understand that you know the game better than virtually everyone else. <ok>

thanks for bowing down to me brilliance :spot on:

Postby Wildey

Alex Borg has spent 12 years on tour in 5 different spells

1991/1992-1996/1997
1998/1999
2001/2002
2005-2006-2006/2007
2013/2014-2014/2015

could this year be spell no 6?

Postby aimlesswandeer

The Borg looks as though he's going to defeat The Bore. That would guarantee a continental European qualifier, hopefully young Ursenbache.

Postby vodkadiet

Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

thanks for bowing down to me brilliance :spot on:

You are the guru of the game. The epicentre of snooker knowledge..

<ok>

Postby aimlesswandeer

Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

To be fair if they were good enough it would. If your opponents are potting early and knocking in big breaks you won't get the chance to grind your way to victory.

Postby vodkadiet

aimlesswandeer wrote:The Borg looks as though he's going to defeat The Bore. That would guarantee a continental European qualifier, hopefully young Ursenbache.

I thought Pinches was finished in the first round but he somehow won from needing a snooker. I felt sick after that. I am not counting him out until it is over.

Postby vodkadiet

Alex Borg you legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Vallomas

End of an era for Barry Pinches.

I will miss him from the tour, although he wasn't the most entertaining player in the world.

The match against Ronnie at the Welsh Open with the 146 controversy, was meant to be his last with TV coverage.

Postby Wildey

aimlesswandeer wrote:
Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

To be fair if they were good enough it would. If your opponents are potting early and knocking in big breaks you won't get the chance to grind your way to victory.

Thing is very few players through history have been good enough to do that.

Postby vodkadiet

The first time I saw Pinches was in Preston in 1991. He qualified for The World Championship. I had a ticket for his session with Griffiths and I left after one frame. Griffiths led 5-2 after the first session. He was a disgrace!

Postby roy142857

You say 'ever again' in a year with ex-pros getting back on?

Just hoping or you've seen an announcement of retirement? (Just wondering ...)

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:You say 'ever again' in a year with ex-pros getting back on?

Just hoping or you've seen an announcement of retirement? (Just wondering ...)

Yea Cant see Pinches Retiring TBH

Postby Wildey

Alexander Ursenbache Qualified through Q School in 2013 and Last year lost at this stage to Daniel Wells 4-1

During his pro career first time around he won just 9 matches in 34 tournaments played so he will be hoping for better if he gets back on today.

Postby Wildey

Peter Lines has played Professionally since 1991 apart from 3 years he wasent on tour 2004/2005, 2005/2006 and 2007/2008 his highest Ranking was 42 in 1999/2000 season

Postby Wildey

Peter Lines if he loses he needs to reach 3 frames to give himself a chance via Order of Merit at the expense of Adam Stefanow anything less than that hes out

Postby Wildey

Of course if Georgiou beats Steadman then Order of Merit scenario today is pointless

Postby Wildey

John Astley is one frame away of Halting Peter Lines pro career after 7 years unbroker where he spent most of that time inside the top 64

Postby Wildey

John Astley secured his 3rd and 4th season on tour after turning pro in 2013/2014

Postby Wildey

So Michael Georgiou has beaten Steadman and joins him on tour having first turned pro in 2008