Post a reply

Re: Q School 2016

Postby kolompar

PoolBoy wrote:Reanne Evans scored 80 points in frame 3 of her current match - but still lost the frame!

Edit: She ended up losing the match 4-1 to Ian John Ali. Disappointing - that's her eliminated from Q-School. :-(

Just read on twitter that she has an eye infection.

Lyu Haotian also lost, from 3-2 up. He was probably the most promising player in this Q school.

Postby Wildey

kolompar wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Reanne Evans scored 80 points in frame 3 of her current match - but still lost the frame!

Edit: She ended up losing the match 4-1 to Ian John Ali. Disappointing - that's her eliminated from Q-School. :-(

Just read on twitter that she has an eye infection.

Lyu Haotian also lost, from 3-2 up. He was probably the most promising player in this Q school.

Lyu Haotian has flattered to deceive in his 2 years on tour he won 18 matches and 9 of them was in APTC where competition is not as tough with so many pros not entering.

compare that with what Zhou Yuelong has done won 40 matches and is inside the top 64 in his 2 seasons on tour.

Postby kolompar

Yes, but he was 15 when he got on tour. Thought he looked good in Q school 1 and could have done well as a pro.

Postby PoolBoy

Order of Merit as it stands:

1. Daniel Womersley 29
2. David Lilley 27
3. Adam Stefanow 27
= Jamie Barrett 27
-------------------------------
5. Ian Preece 26
= Adam Duffy 26
7. Craig Steadman 25
= Eddie Manning 25

Postby fridge46

WS have released the tiebreaking criteria for those equal on points:

1. Number of frames won during Event One
2. Number of frames won during Event Two
3. Lowest number of frames lost over both events combined
4. Lowest number of frames lost during Event One
5. Lowest number of frames lost during Event Two
6. Furthest round reached during Event One
7. Furthest round reached during Event Two

Is it me or are criteria #6 and #7 pointless as those who reached different rounds are already separated in criteria #1 and #2?

Postby kolompar

Classic World Snooker, release the tiebreak criteria 3 days before the end of Q School and even then it's still not good <laugh>

Postby roy142857

Tie breaks 1 and 2 are perhaps open to interpretation - does 'number of frames won' include the four frames from walkovers and not having to play round one, or not?

Logically they must be excluded (but I'm not convinced World Snooker are logical!), otherwise tie break 2 would be meaningless.

(If two players both have x points, if that's frames won including walkovers etc and they were still tied after tie break 1, then obviously they would also have the same as each other in tie break 2 or their points would have not been on the same total)

If that's the case, then yes, criteria 6 an 7 are indeed pointless

Postby PoolBoy

You beat me to it Roy!
Tiebreaker 2 is 'redundant'.
It would be a bit like in football saying teams on the same points will be separated by goal-difference, then most goals scored, then fewest goals conceded.
But, if the goal-difference and goals scored is identical, obviously then so will the goals conceded!

It's the same principle here - if overall points are tied, AND points gained from Q1 are also the same - then Q2 points will also have to be the same!

Anyway, I've got my own spreadsheet for this and have been awarding 4 points (frames) for a 'bye'. This was the case in last year's Q-School and is also the system being adopted on Snooker.org's Order-of-Merit list.

Postby PoolBoy

Using the above criteria, the Top 10 in the Order of Merit as it stands:

1. Daniel Womersley 29
2. David Lilley 27
3. Adam Stefanow 27
4. Jamie Barrett 27
-------------------------------
5. Adam Duffy 26
6. Ian Preece 26
7. Joe Roberts 25
8. Craig Steadman 25
9. Eddie Manning 25
10. Marc J Davis 24

Postby roy142857

Davis can shoot up to the top of the players still in (28 points) with a win against Joe O'Connor (should be a close match I think), and Ant Parsons will move into contention (24 points) if he beats Jordan Brown.

Barrett v Manning in the next round effectively removes a player from contention (bar for really weird results), and of course four of the top players might win their section, so potentially a player from quite deep could get in via the Order of Merit. I know Brandon Sergeant's lurking just outside the top ten (on 23?) and if he wins his 3rd round match gets to have a crack at the Barrett / Manning winner and through that possibly overtaking them.

Just seen Greg Casey lost, with a win he could have been on 23 too I believe.

Postby PoolBoy

kolompar wrote:Tony Drago wins 4-1 with breaks of 110 and 74 :D

That IS a good win for Drago! But, still a long way to go - and, I do feel that 4 more wins may be beyond him.

Postby kolompar

His section is quite open. But even if he didn't get through I wouldn't mind, at least he could win some tournaments as an amateur.

Postby kolompar

Corey Deuel's lost from 3-2 up. Don't get why he keeps blowing leads.

Postby Wildey

Chris Melling will have to return to playing pool as he loses 4-2 to Brandon Sargeant

Postby Wildey

Ng On Yee is currently in action against the Nap Star John Astley.

John Astley has been on tour 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 it will be a tough ask for Ng On Yee to beat him

Postby Wildey

in 3 days time 8 players will be looking forward to 2 seasons on tour.

Zhou Yuelong (54) and Oliver Lines (61) is proof what you can achieve in 2 seasons if you put the hours in

Postby PoolBoy

Top 10 in the Order of Merit as it stands:

1. Adam Stefanow 31
2. Jamie Barrett 31
3. Ian Preece 30
4. Daniel Womersley 29
----------------------------------
5. Craig Steadman 29
6. Marc J Davis 28
7. David Lilley 27
8. Eddie Manning 27
9. Ashley Hugill 27
10. Brandon Sargeant 27
Last edited by PoolBoy on 20 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PoolBoy

Just after I posted the above, Adam Duffy beat Luckas Kleckers 4-0, taking his points from 26 to 30 - and ahead of Ian Preece (on tie-breaker rule):

1. Adam Stefanow 31
2. Jamie Barrett 31
3. Adam Duffy 30
4. Ian Preece 30
---------------------------------
5. Daniel Womersley 29
6. Craig Steadman 29
7. Marc J Davis 28
8. David Lilley 27
9. Eddie Manning 27
10. Ashley Hugill 27
11. Brandon Sargeant 27

Postby roy142857

Surprise No.1 English amateur Darryn Walker continuing his snooker comeback in style, knocking out Marc Davis. He rather failed to get going in Q School 1, lost 4-0 to Zak Surety, but perhaps now showing the form that has made him No.1 on the English Ranking Series this season.

He had been a not-very-successful snooker pro from about 1990 to 2004, then switched to being a semi pro pool player before starting his snooker comeback in 2014.

Postby kolompar

Another good win for Drago, beatin Jake Nicholson 4-3. He went 3-2 down from 2-0 up, losing the 4th frame 79-71 after making a break of 54, while Nicholson made a 68 to win the fifth. But he hit back to win the last two with two breaks of 52 :happy:
Next up against Chen Zifan, tough opponent but if a woman could beat him... :gag:

Postby Wildey

kolompar wrote:Another good win for Drago, beatin Jake Nicholson 4-3. He went 3-2 down from 2-0 up, losing the 4th frame 79-71 after making a break of 54, while Nicholson made a 68 to win the fifth. But he hit back to win the last two with two breaks of 52 :happy:
Next up against Chen Zifan, tough opponent but if a woman could beat him... :gag:

Looking at Jake Nicholson results that's concerning for Drago that he was in a decider against Nicholson When he has come up against Pros hes lost to 0 or 1.

Postby PoolBoy

The last remaining match tonight has gone to a deciding frame - but won't affect the top of the Order of Merit:

1. Adam Stefanow 31
2. Jamie Barrett 31
3. Adam Duffy 30
4. Ian Preece 30
---------------------------------
5. Daniel Womersley 29
6. Craig Steadman 29
7. Marc J Davis 28
8. David Lilley 27
9. Eddie Manning 27
10. Antony Parsons 27
11. Ashley Hugill 27
12. Brandon Sargeant 27

Postby vodkadiet

I have no faith. I don't believe in God. I think it is all rubbish.

However, I will be having a quiet prayer tonight, and I will be open about what the prayer will be.

It will thus be spoken:

"Please God, if you exist, I am sorry that I doubted your existence. You are of course all powerful and with that in mind, can you please make sure that Barry Pinches doesn't qualify from Q2 this weekend? This would be the worse thing that could happen in this world in 2016. Thank you God. I am most grateful."

Postby Wildey

The 4 players that came so close in Q School 1 Daniel Womersley, Marc Davis, David Lilley and Joe Roberts are now out of the running for a 2 year card

Postby TheSaviour

I don´t know exectly how this system works but I would be suprised if Barry Pinches wouldn´t win today. He stands out as a solid match-player who can win these matches. Perhaps Michael Georgiou also. I hope some suprises, though..

It is interesting these days as anyone can watch how the match exatcly went number-wise (http://www.worldsnooker.com scores and so on..) This is how Reanne was ousted against Ian Ali John:

1. 69-10
2. 1-83 (55)
3. 80-87
4. 28-71
5. 35-64

So reanne won the first frame and the damage was done in frame 3 where Ian won 87-80. How did they managed to play such a figures?? There must have been some scrappy safety-playing including a lot´s of fouls. Reanne must be kicking herself not the get the card. That card takes you to play around the world in the hot countries like India, Australia, China, Spain, Germany, Bulgaria,. If you are just even somewhere good enough. It´s not just about the who wins the titles and entertains the crowds and so on, but to travelling around the world to do something they would fancy to do anyway. Reanne is one of those players who can play if she just gets it going. But now she was ousted. But an opponents like Ian John Ali are always going to be a tough to beat anyway. It is a matter of how much one´s cue action tolerates the pressure. And usually the answer is that much.

Postby roy142857

re the players from last time being out of it, not sure you're right on that Wildey, though its likely!

Bear in mind two of Stefanow and Barratt (in section 1), and Duffy and Preece (in section 2) may not be included as two could take Tour cards by winning their section. That would leave two players ahead of Womersley on current points. (Steadman is in section 1 as well, so there will be four players ahead of Davis - at least two of Stefanow, Barratt and Preece [EDIT Sorry - Steadman not Preece), at least one of Duffy and Preece, plus Womersley - so Davis is out).

IF all bar one of the other players doing well on the rankings and still active lose their first match today, and Sergeant and Hugill don't lose 4-3 to move to 30 points, Womersley could still sneak a place. (he can afford to have the players further down win one today but in some cases then needs them to lose heavily in their second match).

Apart from Sergeant and Hugill, players he needs to lose and their current points and first opponent

Gareth Green 25 plays Ian Preece
Andy Hicks 25 plays Matthew Day
Lǚ Chēnwĕi 24 plays John Astley
Peter Lines 22 plays Ashley Hugill
Steven Hallworth 22 plays Tyler Rees
Oliver Brown 21 plays David John
Bradley Jones 21 plays Adam Duffy
Zak Surety 21 plays Declan Brennan
Charlie Walters 21 plays Darryn Walker
Josh Thomond 20 plays Alex Borg

The convenient coincidence being that, ignoring Lines/Hugill, the players that can pass Womersley aren't playing each other, they're against players who did badly in Q School 1 or players already ahead of Womersley. (He needs Lines to beat Hugill 4-2 or better, and then lose, preferably to Duffy not Jones)