Post a reply

Re: Q School 2016

Postby bluelagoon

I think Drago is too cool for school. He should take over the legends tour card from Hendry.

Postby aimlesswandeer

bluelagoon wrote:I think Drago is too cool for school. He should take over the legends tour card from Hendry.

He's got one of the toughest draws possible in Gerard Greene, so I fear he won't be hanging around Q1 too long. Hope I'm wrong though.

Michael Collumb won 4-1 while hitting two centuries, including a 135, the biggest of the event so far. Hopefully he can keep that up and bolster the Scots contingent on tour.

Postby roy142857

I guess Pinches was the biggest surprise, but dropping off Pros Chris Melling, Ian Glover and Michael Georgiou also failing to get past Round 1.

Well done to Ng On Yee with her second win, 4-0 but quite competitive looking at the frame scores.

I'll be interested to see how Corey Duell v Adam Stefanow goes later - Stefanow's a good player but not exactly nerves of steel.

Postby SnookerEd25

Stefanow currently leading 3-1, so Corey will need to do something a bit special...

Postby SnookerEd25

Corey back to 2-3...

Postby roy142857

Jamie Clarke fell at the first hurdle not the last this time, a close loss late last night 4-3 to Chris Keogan.

Reanne beat quite a strong Chinese player Chén Zĭfán 4-0, interesting to note he was in every frame, guess she outbattled him.

Despite that one, good performances by some of the Chinese players, including former Pro Lǚ Hàotiān beating new Scottish Champion Chris Totten 4-1.

Postby Wildey

Remember getting good runs in events will be beneficial this year to get on tour so both Reanne Evans and Ng On Yee are in Round 3 of QS 1 with 8 frames to their credit another couple of rounds here and the same in QS 2 could be enough for them even if they dont get a place as of right.

Postby fridge46

Just looking at last years OOM, if the best-of-the-rest was applied, 36 frames would get you a tour card.

Reaching Round 5 (Last 16) in both events should be enough for those that dont win!

Postby kolompar

Drago finishes off the day with a 4-3 loss to Greene :td: He was 2-0 up and looked like he had a lot of chances in the decider :-(

Postby PoolBoy

kolompar wrote:Drago finishes off the day with a 4-3 loss to Greene :td: He was 2-0 up and looked like he had a lot of chances in the decider :-(

Drago will have to win through automatically in the next tournament now - he won't be qualifying via the Order of Merit. Looks like next week will see the end of his long pro career.
However, he's not been competitive for many years now - and at 50-years-old, time has simply caught up.

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:
kolompar wrote:Drago finishes off the day with a 4-3 loss to Greene :td: He was 2-0 up and looked like he had a lot of chances in the decider :-(

Drago will have to win through automatically in the next tournament now - he won't be qualifying via the Order of Merit. Looks like next week will see the end of his long pro career.
However, he's not been competitive for many years now - and at 50-years-old, time has simply caught up.

he has fallen off tour before in 2008/2009 he played in the PIOS series

Postby PoolBoy

Ng On-Yee won 4-3 in her game this morning - recovering from 1-3 behind. She now faces Daniel Womersley.
Elsewhere today, Fang Xiongman made the biggest break of the event, so far...141.

The top section is now at the (effectively) quarter-final stage, with the 'winner' taking the 2-year World Snooker tour card.
There's an all-Chinese clash plus Ireland's Greg Casey is involved - he was the player Ding Junhui faced in the first round of Crucible qualifying.

Section A (English unless stated):

Ng On-Yee (Hong Kong female) v Daniel Womersley
Greg Casey (Ireland) v Antony Parsons
Joshua Cooper v Simon Blackwell
Lyu Haotian (China) v Fang Xiongman (China)

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:Ng On-Yee won 4-3 in her game this morning - recovering from 1-3 behind. She now faces Daniel Womersley.
Elsewhere today, Fang Xiongman made the biggest break of the event, so far...141.

The top section is now at the (effectively) quarter-final stage, with the 'winner' taking the 2-year World Snooker tour card.
There's an all-Chinese clash plus Ireland's Greg Casey is involved - he was the player Ding Junhui faced in the first round of Crucible qualifying.

Section A (English unless stated):

Ng On-Yee (Hong Kong female) v Daniel Womersley
Greg Casey (Ireland) v Antony Parsons
Lyu Haotian (China) v Fang Xiongman (China)

only Lyu Haotian has been on tour before but overall that's a very open section with no stand out candidate.

Postby PoolBoy

Section B:

Adam Stefanow (Poland) v Reanne Evans (female)
Christopher Keogan v Lu Chenwei (China)
Brian Cini (Malta) v Marc J Davis (Scotland)
Craig Steadman v Gareth Green

Postby roy142857

4th section loaded with ex-pros, Chén Zhé, Ian Preece (who's also a former World Amateur Champion - he beat David Lilley, who's also through, in the 1999 final!), Andy Hicks and Adam Duffy all through.

Can 'current but falling off Pro' Gerard Greene join them in the next round? (He's in a deciding frame)

Postby Wildey

The 4 Section Quarter Finals

Ng On-Yee v Daniel Womersley
Greg Casey v Antony Parsons
Lyu Haotian v Fang Xiongman

Adam Stefanow v Reanne Evans
Christopher Keogan v Lyu Chenwei
Brian Cini v Marc J Davis
Craig Steadman v Gareth Green

Louis Heathcote v Cao Yupeng
Jamie Barrett v Ashley Hugill
Eddie Manning v Alex Davies
Joe Roberts v Brandon Sargeant

Eddie Manning spent 10 seasons on tour between 1991 and 2003 reaching a career high ranking of 121 and has recorded professional wins over the likes of Joe Perry in 1994 5-0 and Barry Hawkins 1998 5-3

Haydon Pinhey v Chen Zhe
Michael Collumb v Ian Preece
David Liley v Andy Hicks
Gerard Greene v Adam Duffy

Who will triumph from each section and earn their place on tour

Postby Wildey

Ng On-Yee 1-2 Daniel Womersley
Greg Casey 3-2 Antony Parsons
Joshua Cooper 1-4 Simon Blackwell
Lyu Haotian 3-4 Fang Xiongman

Adam Stefanow 4-2 Reanne Evans
Christopher Keogan 4-0 Lyu Chenwei
Brian Cini 3-3 Marc J Davis
Craig Steadman 4-1 Gareth Green

Postby Wildey

45 year old Eddie Manning takes a 2-0 lead over Alex Davies

Postby Alex0paul

GL Haydon

Postby Wildey

David Lilley has been trying to get on tour since 1999 and never managed it could this be his year.

currently leading Andy Hicks 3-1

Postby aimlesswandeer

All these players coming out of semi-retirement and going well at tour school like Preece and Manning doesn't say a lot for the standard of young players nowadays.

Postby aimlesswandeer

I think the top quarter is the most open. I'd tip Steadman, Yupeng and Duffy or Zhe to win the other three.

Postby Wildey

Tour qualifying Matches

Daniel Womersley v Fang Xiongman
Dont Know much about Daniel Womersley he has only played one match in a PTC a 4-1 defeat to Ryan Causton earlier this year so if he wins tomorrow and earns a tour spot it would have come from nowhere considering he is 24 years of age maybe Roy knows more

Christopher Keogan v Marc J Davis
Marc Davis is 28 years of age and been trying to get on tour since 2006 in PIOS. Christopher Keogan has played in 36 PTC Events reaching the last 64 twice Antwerp in 2012 losing 4-1 to Tom Ford and Gdynia 2014 losing 4-1 to Marcus Campbell

Cao Yupeng v Joe Roberts
Joe Roberts reached the last 16 of Q School 2 in 2015 losing to Jason Weston who went on to claim his place on Tour

Chen Zhe v David Lilley
This will be Chen Zhe 4th appearance at this stage of Q School having qualified in 2012 beating Jordan Brown after failing in 2011 losing 4-3 to Andrew Norman and losing 4-1 to Sydney Wilson in 2015

Postby roy142857

Have to say each match features one player I'd not have expected to have much chance of being in this position, (shows how much I know!); Womersley, Davis, Roberts and Lilley are all handy players but I'd have expected other players in their sections to have been better. Does that mean I expect the 3 Chinese players and Keogan to win? Well, I'd make each of them favourite, but the other four must be in excellent form, so who knows (nothing like sitting on the fence, eh!).

Postby roy142857

roy142857 wrote:Dan Womersley's a handy young league player in the Bradford area, playing well to get this far.

That's about the extent of my knowledge Wildey - but the leagues in the Bradford area are from what I've heard some of the best in the country. One of the things we don't always know is whether someone's been doing well at that level with only limited time practice, and then taken a punt at something like Q School and worked on their game. Alternatively we might just be seeing a lucky timing of good form.

Postby PoolBoy

Latest:

Daniel Womersley 0-2 Fang Xiongman
Chen Zhe 1-1 David Lilley
Christopher Keogan 1-0 Marc J Davis
Joe Roberts 0-2 Cao Yupeng