Post a reply

Re: Q School 2016

Postby aimlesswandeer

Wildey wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:
Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:Disappointed at the lack of emerging young talent at Q School. A lot of journeyman ex-pros seem to be thriving.

Yes, it shows a lack of interest in snooker.

182 players payed £600 a head over 100k to play in q School more than ever before the intrest is there but most young players tries to blast players off the table and against lines, Steadman etc it wont work.

To be fair if they were good enough it would. If your opponents are potting early and knocking in big breaks you won't get the chance to grind your way to victory.

Thing is very few players through history have been good enough to do that.

No, but at least 64 players (nearer 80 if you count the ET and AT events) on the tour have won more matches than them in recent seasons hence why they're back at Q School so their tactics haven't proved terribly effective. I really hoped there might be a few good young players out there capable of beating players who are probably going to be career journeymen, though I appreciate snooker is a game where you often get better with age, and Q School is rarely a place for fast, attacking snooker.

I'm mostly just disappointed to see the same old faces (and no Scottish qualifiers either...).

Postby Wildey

David John after 14 years returns to the main tour

interesting fact about David he has never played in a PTC and only came back from retirement for q School last year before that his last match at this level was a 4-1 defeat to Alex Borg in a PIOS Match in 2007

Postby Wildey

aimlesswandeer wrote:
No, but at least 64 players (nearer 80 if you count the ET and AT events) on the tour have won more matches than them in recent seasons hence why they're back at Q School so their tactics haven't proved terribly effective. I really hoped there might be a few good young players out there capable of beating players who are probably going to be career journeymen, though I appreciate snooker is a game where you often get better with age, and Q School is rarely a place for fast, attacking snooker.

I'm mostly just disappointed to see the same old faces (and no Scottish qualifiers either...).

i know exactly where your coming from mate.

But i think players have seen the likes of Hendry and Ronnie winning with all out attack and they are trying to copy that way of playing but those two we will never see their like again.

Postby Wildey

So there we are Borg Completes the line up from Q School

Postby Wildey

Q SCHOOL Qualifiers 2016

Cao Yupeng China Turned Pro 2011 6th and 7th season on tour
Christopher Keogan England Turned Pro 2016 1st and 2nd season on tour
Chen Zhe China Turned Pro 2012 3rd and 4th season on tour
Fang Xiongman China Turned Pro 2016 1st and 2nd season on tour
John Astley England Turned Pro 2013 3rd and 4th season on tour
Michael Georgiou England Turned Pro 2008 4th and 5th season on tour
David John Wales Turned Pro 2002 2nd and 3rd season on tour
Alex Borg Malta Turned Pro 1991 13th and 14th season on tour
Craig Steadman England Turned Pro 2009 6th and 7th season on tour
Jamie Barrett England Turned Pro 2016 1st and 2nd season on tour
Ian Preece Wales Turned Pro 2003 6th and 7th season on tour
Adam Duffy Wales Turned Pro 2011 4th and 5th season on tour

Postby Wildey

in Q School 1 John Astley, Michael Georgiou , David John and Alex Borg won Just 17 Frames Between Them

David John 7
John Astley 5
Alex Borg 4
Michael Georgiou 1

Postby PoolBoy

I think it's quite an interesting set of qualifiers, with a mix of ages and nationalities.
A number of players who were under threat of 'dropping off' have survived, some ex-Pros are returning and there will be a few debutants on the Tour.
(Why do I always think that Craig Steadman is much older than 33!?)

Roll on the new season!!