Post a reply

Re: Q School 2012

Postby Roland

So this is what happened.

Frame 1 Ben broke off, Jordan went for a long red, missed and Ben knocked in 54 before playing safe. A few shots later he got in again and finished the frame off. In frame 2 Ben took on a long red and didn't hit it that hard and it flew off the table. His opponent couldn't make the chance count and Ben got in with a 70 to go to 2-0. In the 3rd frame he was fully in control and up to this point Jordan was under the cosh and had only potted about 5 or 6 balls in total, then after potting second to last red Ben was 33 up. He had an easy yellow to go 35 up but instead chose to play the blue and this is what happened:

Going for blue he would've been 38 up, played in such a way that he wouldn't snooker himself on the red if it went in (the red is wrong in the diagram, there was a gap between pink and black to hit the red full). He missed and the match turned. Jordan got the upper hand in the safety that followed, notice the green and brown were safe. At the end of the safety exchange he played the white across the baulk cushion and red up and down I assume to leave yellow as snookering ball however he cannoned into the green and brown and fluked this horrible snooker:

Note that yellow green and brown all go. Ben had several attempts at the one cushion escape but it was so tough because the white was so close to the cushion hitting in to. So Jordan took advantage and cleared to pink to pull back to 2-1. In the next Jordan played a lot of good safety but was having more than his fair share of run fluking 2 snookers before laying this stinker when about 20 odd ahead. Ben had a couple of attempts trying to go across the table, realised it wasn't on and in the end used the spider to play the shot:

The referee called free ball. Ben said he didn't think it was a free ball, we didn't think it was a free ball but obviously kept quiet to let them sort it out. Ben said you could clearly hit the far right edge of the red, the referee stuck to his guns, Ben asked if he could get a second opinion from the TD but was told no, Jordan asked the ref if he was saying it was a free ball, the ref said yes and Jordan took it and with free ball and colour left Ben needing snookers.

The lad sat next to me said after the frame that he wouldn't have let the ref get away with it and while Ben and Jordan left the booth he had a discussion with the ref saying it was no way a free ball because the brown was behind the red so it couldn't possibly be. He also said to me that he felt Jordan was a bad sport for taking the free ball and called him the c word ending in heat.

So then with things going his way Jordan capitalised in taking the next, Ben held himself together to level at 3-3 and in the decider he had two massive kicks, the first left the table open to score but Jordan ran out of position on the split and played safe. A few shots later he left this shot for Ben, and Ben said later the natural angle would take the cue ball between green and brown but he got such a thunderous kick the white ended up in the pocket and this proved to be his last shot as Jordan slotted the missed red into the corner and wrapped the frame and match up.

So it's fair to say Ben was very unlucky and didn't deserve some of the things that happened to him. Jordan has a good safety game on him and knows how to play, however he gave the impression of not having too much time on the Star tables, he didn't stroke the balls, he gave them a bit of a thump suggesting he's used to club tables. He didn't look like scoring heavily if cannons were involved (e.g. pack splitters or holding cannons) but could take the points if they were there for him. Solid is the word I would use.

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:no offence to Sonny but not sure his presence there is really a help to Ben

:shrug:

isnt it a slight distraction having someone in the cubicle watching you?

especially if your tweeting so he knows your almost relaying his every shot to Twitter, added pressure id say.

i know personally after id fully prepared and was ready id rather just get fully into the zone by going into battle with the opponent on a 1 v 1 basis and tunnel vision.

So anyway, what the hell went wrong tonight then?

There are 4 seats in there, the ref opens the door between frames and other players are in and out watching and playing with their mobiles. Ben wasn't aware I was tweeting and I got told to stop by Paul Collier who was obviously following my feed from his TD desk :redneck:

But I wasn't putting him off or adding pressure, I was there to support him.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:no offence to Sonny but not sure his presence there is really a help to Ben

especially if your tweeting so he knows your almost relaying his every shot to Twitter, added pressure id say.

i know personally after id fully prepared and was ready id rather just get fully into the zone by going into battle with the opponent on a 1 v 1 basis and tunnel vision.

There are 4 seats in there, the ref opens the door between frames and other players are in and out watching and playing with their mobiles. Ben wasn't aware I was tweeting and I got told to stop by Paul Collier who was obviously following my feed from his TD desk :redneck:

it was not your fault witz talking rubbish

snooker players has to play infront of crowds if 4 man and a twitter was a problem ben has problems in his career.

Postby Wildey

the second round gets underway today and Rod Lawler a pro since 1990 when he Joined along with Ken Doherty and Alan Mcmanus plays young Amataur Phil O'Kane in a atempt to get back on tour for the 23rd year.

Postby Wildey

Callum Downing 0-4 Bobby Cruickshanks
Saqib Nasir 2-1 Marc Robertson
Elliot Slessor 2-2 Richard Remelie

ROUND 2
Mitchell Travis 0-4 Adrian Justin Ridley
Sam Harvey 2-4 Jeff Cundy
Richard Twomey 2-3 David Gray
Fraser Patrick 3-1 Michael Wild

Postby John From London Town

[quote="Sonny"]So this is what happened.

Frame 1 Ben broke off, Jordan went for a long red, missed and Ben knocked in 54 before playing safe. A few shots later he got in again and finished the frame off. In frame 2 Ben took on a long red and didn't hit it that hard and it flew off the table. His opponent couldn't make the chance count and Ben got in with a 70 to go to 2-0. In the 3rd frame he was fully in control and up to this point Jordan was under the cosh and had only potted about 5 or 6 balls in total, then after potting second to last red Ben was 33 up. He had an easy yellow to go 35 up but instead chose to play the blue and this is what happened:

Did you ask Ben why he didn't just drop in behind the blue given that he was 33 up with one red remaining & the position of that last red? :shrug:

That was the first shot I seen given the angle of the blue.

Postby Roland

He did think for a bit but don't think he considered that one. If you play the pot you have to leave a shot on the red but playing the pot and getting it means obviously the other guy needs snookers. Guess we all see it differently, I think fair play going for the blue, I'd have been tempted by the yellow and then leave distance between red and black. The main thing was the fluked snooker that happened afterwards of course. But yes, I see your thinking. I can't remember the exact positioning of the red and black but pretty sure a tuck in behind blue would've been an option had he seen it.

Postby Roland

Yeah you feel at 3-0 it would've been 4-0 but that's the way it goes.

Anyway, it turns out Marc Robertson is Robbo's brother!

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Yeah you feel at 3-0 it would've been 4-0 but that's the way it goes.

Does he share the same family traits as Neil, such as persistent coughing, ice-rattling, gamesmanship, blatant go-slow tactics etc :john:

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:

yeh of course i know you mean well and were there to support him mate, just a general observation an outsider could suggest really of your presence.

What did Collier say? Normally hes alrite crack, dont you know him to talk to anyway?

Postby Roland

If he didn't want me there he wouldn't have asked me or signed me in. And yes I know Paul Collier and get on fine with him, he's sound as a pound.

Postby Skullman

Sonny wrote:Yeah you feel at 3-0 it would've been 4-0 but that's the way it goes.

Are you sure it's not Robbo under a false name? :john:

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 15th of May

10am

Saqib Nasir 2-4 Marc Robertson
Elliot Slessor 3-4 Richard Remelie

ROUND 2
Richard Twomey 2-4 David Gray
Fraser Patrick 4-1
Michael Wild

Robbos brother playing thats a bit of a turn up normally theres all sort of articles written if a relative of a top player competing.

Wild WC wrote:Robbos brother playing thats a bit of a turn up normally theres all sort of articles written if a relative of a top player competing.

I thought something similar. Been kept well on the qt that. Either that or the WSA have missed a trick here.

Postby Sickpotter

John From London Town wrote:
Sonny wrote:So this is what happened.

Did you ask Ben why he didn't just drop in behind the blue given that he was 33 up with one red remaining & the position of that last red? :shrug:

If the player had gone with proper match play instead of trying to showboat/entertain he would've rolled up behind the blue and pretty much locked up the frame.

Sure the blue is frame ball but the risk reward definitely favoured the snooker IMO.

Of course I'm another silly aggressive player so I probably would've gone for the blue as well. I don't think that the blue was all that tough, should be in the 95% success range but might be a bit of a tougher angle than I can tell. :shrug:

Sickpotter wrote:
John From London Town wrote:Did you ask Ben why he didn't just drop in behind the blue given that he was 33 up with one red remaining & the position of that last red? :shrug:

If the player had gone with proper match play instead of trying to showboat/entertain he would've rolled up behind the blue and pretty much locked up the frame.

Sure the blue is frame ball but the risk reward definitely favoured the snooker IMO.

Of course I'm another silly aggressive player so I probably would've gone for the blue as well. I don't think that the blue was all that tough, should be in the 95% success range but might be a bit of a tougher angle than I can tell. :shrug:[/quote]
The only way I can see him getting on the last red with the angle showed, is screwing the backside out of the blue into baulk & back up again.
I think.....What Ben had in mind was frame ball & 3-0, which you can't hold against him , tho thinking clearly in exactly them type of situations from a shot selection point of view, is one of the differences....

Postby Roland

It's only in retrospect it cost him because after that the match seemed to change and the other fella seemed to get a ridiculous run of the balls for the next 30 minutes or so when up until that point he had been frozen out and looked edgy. At the time it meant the frame was still alive but also appeared to be no harm done. I don't think it could be called a showboating shot, it was calculated and would have won the frame and the white was left fairly safe on purpose. But yes, I didn't spot it at the time but the roll up would have been a better shot in hindsight.

Postby Wildey

yea But the Blue was the Right shot to play as players you got to go for game you wouldnt see the current World Champion fannying about with Rolling in behind balls neither Would the 7 Times Champion he just executed the shot badly that doesn't meen it was the Wrong shot.

Postby Wildey

Lucky Vatnani 1-4 Gary Wilson
Stuart Carrington 2-2 Paul Davison
Martin O'Donnell 1-1 Alex Taubman
Jamie Rhys Clarke 4-1 Kuldesh Johal

Li Hang 2-3 James Cahill
Oliver Brown 2-3 Jay Bullen

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:

Does he share the same family traits as Neil, such as persistent coughing, ice-rattling, gamesmanship, blatant go-slow tactics etc :john:

Nice one mate rofl

Postby Wildey

Sam Baird 4-0 George Marter
Allan Taylor 4-1 Lee Page
John Astley 3-3 Rhys Clark
Mohammed Omar 2-3 Nick Jennings
Reza Hassan 1-4 Ashley Wright
Justin Astley 2-2 Ross Muir

Postby Roland

Both Astleys won 4-3

Postby Wildey

John Astley 4-3 Rhys Clark
Mohammed Omar 2-4 Nick Jennings
Justin Astley 4-3 Ross Muir

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 15th of May

10am

Saqib Nasir 2-4 Marc Robertson
Elliot Slessor 3-4 Richard Remelie

ROUND 2
Richard Twomey 2-4 David Gray
Fraser Patrick 4-1
Michael Wild

1pm

Lucky Vatnani 1-4 Gary Wilson
Stuart Carrington 2-4 Paul Davison
Martin O'Donnell 4-3 Alex Taubman
Jamie Rhys Clarke 4-1 Kuldesh Johal

Li Hang 3-4 James Cahill
Oliver Brown 4-3 Jay Bullen

4pm

John Astley 4-3 Rhys Clark
Mohammed Omar 2-4 Nick Jennings
Justin Astley 4-3 Ross Muir

7pm

Vinnie Calabrese 0-4 Duane Jones
Phil O'Kane 1-4 Rod Lawler
Shahbaaz Khan 4-3 Itaro Santos
Michael Wasley 1-4 Scott Donaldson
Adrian Gunnell 3-4 Ian Burns
Nick Dyson 4-1 Ryan Causton

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 16th of May

10am

Joel Walker v Gareth Allen
Husain Mahmood v Daniel Wells

Darren Bond v Andrew Hudson
Christopher Norbury v James Silverwood
Sydney Wilson v Anthony Harris
Kyren Wilson v Chen Zhe

1pm

Fabio Luersen v Jordan Brown
John Sutton v Greg Batten
Adam Wicheard v Bobby Cruickshanks
Marc Robertson v Richard Remelie

ROUND 3
Adrian Ridley v Jeff Cundy
David Gray v Fraser Patrick

4pm

Gary Wilson v Paul Davison
Martin O'Donnell v Jamie Rhys Clarke

James Cahill v Oliver Brown
Sam Baird v Allan Taylor
John Astley v Nick Jennings
Ashley Wright v Justin Astley

7pm

Duane Jones v Rod Lawler
Shahbaaz Khan v Scott Donaldson
Ian Burns v Nick Dyson
Joel Walker/Gareth Allen v Husain Mahmood/Daniel Wells

Darren Bond/Andrew Hudson v Christopher Norbury/James Silverwood
Sydney Wilson/Anthony Harris v Kyren Wilson/Chen Zhe
Fabio Luersen/Jordan Brown v John Sutton/Greg Batten
Adam Wicheard/Bobby Cruickshanks v Marc Robertson/Richard Remelie

Postby Wildey

Spot 1

Adrian Ridley v Jeff Cundy
David Gray v Fraser Patrick
Gary Wilson v Paul Davison
Martin O'Donnell v Jamie Rhys Clarke

Spot 2

James Cahill v Oliver Brown
Sam Baird v Allan Taylor
John Astley v Nick Jennings
Ashley Wright v Justin Astley

Who gets the Tour places then ????

Postby Wildey

id Love Both Kyren Wilson and Chen Zhe to get on tour this time

last year Kyren had a Good Q School winning 8 matches and reaching Round 4 3 times Losing to Zhanger,Li Yan and Allan Taylor

Chen Zhe last year won 6 matches and in Q School 1 narowly lost 4-3 to Andrew Norman in the last match after Beating Ben Harrison,Michael Wasley,Stuart Carrington and Ian Burns to get there.

Postby Wildey

Kyren Wilson stole frame 4 on the Black its now Chen Zhe leading 3-1