Post a reply

Re: Q School 1 !!

Postby cupotee

Wildey wrote:
cupotee wrote:
gninnur karona wrote:As far as I can see, to close of play Monday there have been 19 matches between players relegated from the tour end 2022-23 and players that have never had tour cards. All 19 have been won by the player relegated from tour and they've only dropped 19 frames in total in winning them.

Yes the old Pontins International Open Series seemed fairer where relegated pro's stayed relegated for a full season and had to compete in the Open Series and finish high enough on the PIOS list after 8 events to get back on tour again, so there was a proper tangible sense of being relegated.
Not only do new and less experienced players have the hurdle of finding heated WST tables to familiarise themselves with getting ready for Q School but they're then further stifled by facing relegated pro's with much more experience.

How is that fairer when you dont get the opportunity to fight for your tour place against worst players than you

Re the conditions try finding conditions respectably similar to those of the WST in London for example, so a player that's never been on tour has two battles going on, getting used to the conditions and playing against a seasoned vet like for example Craig Steadman with loads of table craft.
Yes they'd still lose to Steadman at the PIOS but it would be over the course of a full season with much more time to familiarise and improve.

Postby The_Abbott

I can see Carrington making it to the quarter final match at least. Same with Barry Pinches.

Postby chengdufan

A rare opportunity for Iulian Boiko to play someone younger than himself

Postby SteveJJ

cupotee wrote:
Wildey wrote:
cupotee wrote:
gninnur karona wrote:As far as I can see, to close of play Monday there have been 19 matches between players relegated from the tour end 2022-23 and players that have never had tour cards. All 19 have been won by the player relegated from tour and they've only dropped 19 frames in total in winning them.

Yes the old Pontins International Open Series seemed fairer where relegated pro's stayed relegated for a full season and had to compete in the Open Series and finish high enough on the PIOS list after 8 events to get back on tour again, so there was a proper tangible sense of being relegated.
Not only do new and less experienced players have the hurdle of finding heated WST tables to familiarise themselves with getting ready for Q School but they're then further stifled by facing relegated pro's with much more experience.

How is that fairer when you dont get the opportunity to fight for your tour place against worst players than you

Re the conditions try finding conditions respectably similar to those of the WST in London for example, so a player that's never been on tour has two battles going on, getting used to the conditions and playing against a seasoned vet like for example Craig Steadman with loads of table craft.
Yes they'd still lose to Steadman at the PIOS but it would be over the course of a full season with much more time to familiarise and improve.

On the flipside, Q School may be more appealing to foreign based players who may prefer a concentrated qualifying event over a couple of weeks rather than multiple events over a season like the PIOS tour.

Postby SteveJJ

Well I hope that Ursenbacher and Boiko get through the last day.

Not too bothered in other quarters. Assume Higginson and Hallworth are favourites for those.

Postby Wildey

SPOT 1
Patrick Whelan v Barry Pinches
Alexander Ursenbacher v Alfie Burden

SPOT 2
Jamie Curtis-Barrett v Haydon Pinhey
Fergal Quinn v Andrew Higginson

Spot 3
Alex Taubman v Steven Hallworth
Liam Pullen v Sydney Wilson

Spot 4
Daniel Womersley v Andrew Pagett
Jamie O'Neill v Iulian Boiko

Postby Alex0paul

Come on Haydon

Postby gninnur karona

Alexander Ursenbacher and Alfie Burden met three times on the tour during the 2022-23 season including a mere eight weeks ago in Sheffield.

Amongst the amateur survivors in the last 16 are the four of the top seven amateurs on the one-year list that haven't already earned a new tour card.

Postby SteveJJ

Barry Pinches 1-0 up against Ursenbacher with a ton in the tour card match

Postby Andre147

Q School over for me.

Last match Pagett v Wormesley.

Postby Wildey

SPOT 1
Barry Pinches v Alexander Ursenbacher

SPOT 2
Haydon Pinhey v Andrew Higginson

Spot 3
Alex Taubman v Liam Pullen

Spot 4
Andrew Pagett v Iulian Boiko

Postby The_Abbott

The_Abbott wrote:I can see Carrington making it to the quarter final match at least. .

now this is the sort of expert analysis you'd expect from me <doh>

Postby SteveJJ

Ursenbacher equalises.
Pagett 2-1 up on Boiko.
Higginson 2-0 up on Pinhey

Postby The_Abbott

Higgin's son Andrew is 1 frame from being back on tour

Postby The_Abbott

Higginson is indeed back on tour. Probably deserved after doing well at the World Championships.

Postby Wildey

The_Abbott wrote:Higginson is indeed back on tour. Probably deserved after doing well at the World Championships.

Yea Well played Andrew he is 41 been on tour 23 year in total after turning pro in 1996 he has a further 2 years having played as a amateur last season

Postby SteveJJ

The_Abbott wrote:Higginson is indeed back on tour. Probably deserved after doing well at the World Championships.

I've never minded him to be fair. Whilst no spring chicken he is younger than the class of 92.

Postby Wildey

Andrew Pagett maes it back on tour for the 8th and 9th season on tour having turned pro in 2008

Postby SteveJJ

Wildey wrote:Andrew Pagett maes it back on tour for the 8th and 9th season on tour having turned pro in 2008

Hard to get too excited about this one. I suspect he'll be back at q school in 2 years time

Postby The_Abbott

A good day to be named Andrew it seems

Postby SteveJJ

SteveJJ wrote:
Wildey wrote:Andrew Pagett maes it back on tour for the 8th and 9th season on tour having turned pro in 2008

Hard to get too excited about this one. I suspect he'll be back at q school in 2 years time

It does mean, however, that if Bai Yulu wins her first match in event 2 she will go through directly to round 3

Postby Wildey

Alexander Ursenbacher has made it back having first Turned pro in 2013

Postby The_Abbott

The Roger Federer of the baize is back

Postby Wildey

Liam Pullen has made it

Postby Wildey

Andrew Higginson England Age 45 24th and 25th season on tour Turned Pro 1996/1997
Alexander Ursenbacher Switzerland Age 27 9th and 10th season on tour Turned Pro 2013/2014
Andrew PagettWales Age 41 8th and 9th season on tour Turned Pro 2008/2009
Liam Pullen England Age 17 1st and 2nd season on tour Turned Pro 2023/2024

Postby Reg Varney

SteveJJ wrote:

At least Pinches never won a card though (yet, at least).

Postby gninnur karona

SteveJJ wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

It does mean, however, that if Bai Yulu wins her first match in event 2 she will go through directly to round 3

Which could prove significant in terms of her qualifying for QTour.

Postby Alex0paul

Haydon Pinhey loses for a fourth time in the last round