Post a reply

2023 WSF Championship

Postby gninnur karona

Down to the last eight.

Four British players, three from China, and Iulian Boiko.

Seven players hoping to win a place on the WST and Stan Moody.

QF In draw order (names and ages as per WSF site)
Liam Davies (16) v Iulian Boiko (17)
Stan Moody (16) v Fergal Quinn (22)
Yang Gao (18) v Liam Pullen (17)
Hong Yu Liu (19) v Hai Long Ma (19)

The youngest quarter-final line-up ever?

Re: 2023 WSF Championship

Postby lhpirnie

gninnur karona wrote:Down to the last eight.

Four British players, three from China, and Iulian Boiko.

Seven players hoping to win a place on the WST and Stan Moody.

QF In draw order (names and ages as per WSF site)
Liam Davies (16) v Iulian Boiko (17)
Stan Moody (16) v Fergal Quinn (22)
Yang Gao (18) v Liam Pullen (17)
Hong Yu Liu (19) v Hai Long Ma (19)

The youngest quarter-final line-up ever?

Yes of course. By a long way!

It's likely that most of the strongest contenders just couldn't justify the expense of going to Australia with only 1 place available. The juniors at least had 2 tournaments to play in (and qualify from).

Stan Moody creates a problem. If he wins this, will they just go and hand the losing finalist a tour card? That wouldn't really be fair...

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:Anyone know much about the two Chinese players drawn against each other?

Yes, Liu Hongyu is very talented. He's a mad attacking player from Guangdong. Something like a teenage Luca Brecel. I saw him at Q School, and spoke to him briefly there. He will certainly turn professional at some point, but he's very erratic - it's either spectacular century breaks, or a catastrophic disaster.

I don't know much about Ma Hailong, but there are a number of young Chinese players who obviously haven't competed much during covid lockdowns.

Postby lhpirnie

stanley_ wrote:I hope Gao Yang wins. I think he was very unlucky to drop off the tour last time.

Yes I agree. He fell short by £500. He missed tournaments with VISA issues.

Eventually two amateurs overtook him on the 1-year list, which I think is an unfair rule. Basically, if a top-up amateur has a decent run in the World Championship (perhaps their opponents played poorly?), they have a good chance to get on tour. It's not a fair situation to have professionals who are fighting for their life competing against amateurs having a free hit. Amateurs already have WSF, Q Tour and Continental championships which the professionals can't play in.

Postby lhpirnie

I'm slightly miffed off that they are showing Moody-Quinn on Table 11. Moody has already earned his place on tour through the junior event. Surely one of the other matches would have been more worthwhile to show?

Postby SteveJJ

Congrats to Hai Long Ma for qualifying for the tour regardless of the final result as he plays already qualified Stan Moody