Post a reply

Re: Q School 3 !!!

Postby cupotee

mick745 wrote:
Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:I disagree with the view that young players are all lazy - I think that's totally unfair. It's just too easy an explanation. It's not as if players from previous generations were as dedicated as they now like to claim. The problem is systemic and demographic.

I totally agree. Every generation thinks the next is “lazy” or “lacks work ethic.” For every GenXer bemoaning Millennials, there was a Boomer bemoaning that GenXer. Not just in sport either. Look at how older people have a go at Millennials for living at home, ignoring how house prices have skyrocketed compared to wages.

It’s quite despicable, actually. You’d think they’d remember having to deal with the same rubbish when they were younger.

The time is ripe for someone to come along and take the game by the scruff on the neck and give it a good shake out of its stupor, in the same way Davis and Hendry did.

The opportunity is there for a period of dominance.

I dont see anyone younger than Trump with enough talent though. Jury's still out for Bingtao for me.

judd trump practises at the exclusive grove academy in romford , not trying to sound gratuitous but without it or a respectably similar facility he'd be nothing , likewise with lisowski , there's only a huge gap between juniors and top pro's because the top pro's have much better practise facilities , i wanted to play on stuart bingham's star table in rayleigh essex but i wasn't allowed to , bingham also has the table he beat murphy in 2015 at home as well , its much more about familiarity of good tables than talent or dedication or work ethic etc.

Postby chengdufan

Halim Hussain and Hamim Hussain both playing at the moment. If they play each other, SnookerFan will get very excited indeed.

Postby mick745

cupotee wrote:
mick745 wrote:
Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:I disagree with the view that young players are all lazy - I think that's totally unfair. It's just too easy an explanation. It's not as if players from previous generations were as dedicated as they now like to claim. The problem is systemic and demographic.

I totally agree. Every generation thinks the next is “lazy” or “lacks work ethic.” For every GenXer bemoaning Millennials, there was a Boomer bemoaning that GenXer. Not just in sport either. Look at how older people have a go at Millennials for living at home, ignoring how house prices have skyrocketed compared to wages.

It’s quite despicable, actually. You’d think they’d remember having to deal with the same rubbish when they were younger.

The time is ripe for someone to come along and take the game by the scruff on the neck and give it a good shake out of its stupor, in the same way Davis and Hendry did.

I dont see anyone younger than Trump with enough talent though. Jury's still out for Bingtao for me.

judd trump practises at the exclusive grove academy in romford , not trying to sound gratuitous but without it or a respectably similar facility he'd be nothing , likewise with lisowski , there's only a huge gap between juniors and top pro's because the top pro's have much better practise facilities , i wanted to play on stuart bingham's star table in rayleigh essex but i wasn't allowed to , bingham also has the table he beat murphy in 2015 at home as well , its much more about familiarity of good tables than talent or dedication or work ethic etc.

Presumably when the were kids they learnt their trade on club tables though?

Postby cupotee

mick745 wrote:
cupotee wrote:
mick745 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Presumably when the were kids they learnt their trade on club tables though?

yes but he and lisowski were lucky enough to catch the grove people's eye at the right time it doesn't mean there was anything overly special about them they were just seen as safe enough picks to sponsor , how many younger players than trump have as good as practice facilities as him or lisowski , and it took lisowski about a decade to get in the top 16 , nothing overly special about them they're just fortunate enough to be given the facilities and sponsorship and coupled with their own keenness then they're both in the top 16 , thats all there is to it really.

Postby The_Abbott

Harvey Chandler's quest to return is over.

Postby hendry_fan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:COME ONNNNN "The Ladies Man from Bolton"!. :-D

I just googled good old Tony,Jeez!,did,nt think he was 65!. :shock: :gramp: :-)

Is he the same age as you then? :chuckle:

You cheeky bu**er!. :no: :shock: :wild:

Well,you aint far off tbf!.I,m 13 years younger than good old Tony. :-D

He WHITEWASHES Garry Coulson!. :happy:

Postby hendry_fan

SteveJJ wrote:The O'Sullivan fans in ecstatic mood as Sean is the first winner of the day.

Tony Knowles takes a 2-0 lead

Indeed!,O'Sullivan rattled in breaks of 52,64,83 and 89!. :clap:

Postby hendry_fan

The_Abbott wrote:There is still a work ethic thing as well. You can't just splash the cash at an Academy and hope for the best - look at Tennis.

Whilst I would love more young talent coming through they are not competing hard enough with grit to beat the likes of Lines and Pinches. They have too much professionalism to lose and will work twice as hard to beat their opponent to get a pay cheque. Some youngsters expect to turn up and beat an old fart and get given money for nothing or check their phones every 5 seconds for the latest tweets from some influencer on instagram.

:goodpost:

I,m sure most of the young guns often play good,even brilliant in practice,but when it comes to the crunch,when the heats really on,they collapse,bottle n crumble.

And,aye,it,d certainly help,if they were to get there fingers off there bloody phones,tablets,laptops and of course outta there noses n bottoms.

Postby The_Abbott

hendry_fan wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:There is still a work ethic thing as well. You can't just splash the cash at an Academy and hope for the best - look at Tennis.

Whilst I would love more young talent coming through they are not competing hard enough with grit to beat the likes of Lines and Pinches. They have too much professionalism to lose and will work twice as hard to beat their opponent to get a pay cheque. Some youngsters expect to turn up and beat an old fart and get given money for nothing or check their phones every 5 seconds for the latest tweets from some influencer on instagram.

I,m sure most of the young guns often play good,even brilliant in practice,but when it comes to the crunch,when the heats really on,they collapse,bottle n crumble.

And,aye,it,d certainly help,if they were to get there fingers off there bloody phones,tablets,laptops and of course outta there noses n bottoms.

The other day someone in the office (under 25) was moaning they got soaked coming in because the weather on the app said it was sunny. I just said "didn't you just look up at the sky? rather than down on your phone?!

Postby chengdufan

It must be different in England.
Overuse of phones here is limited to the over 60s generation. They're constantly on TikTok, playing videos at full volume in public places.
The younger generations tend to have a more varied set of activities in their free time.

Postby chengdufan

The three Ukrainians in action at the moment. There's a Chicken Kiev pun in there somewhere.
Where's Running Side when you need him?

Postby chengdufan

Do the players have to wear standard dress for Q School? Waistcoats etc? Or can they show up in casual?

Postby The_Abbott

Aaron Graham. Played 3. Frames 0

Thanks for entering Q-School

Postby The_Abbott

chengdufan wrote:It must be different in England.
Overuse of phones here is limited to the over 60s generation. They're constantly on TikTok, playing videos at full volume in public places.
The younger generations tend to have a more varied set of activities in their free time.

Tik-Tok. Another fantastic worthwhile creation.

Postby Running side

chengdufan wrote:The three Ukrainians in action at the moment. There's a Chicken Kiev pun in there somewhere.
Where's Running Side when you need him?

I think there more into billiards national champ.Inoff there.

Postby hendry_fan

The_Abbott wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:

The other day someone in the office (under 25) was moaning they got soaked coming in because the weather on the app said it was sunny. I just said "didn't you just look up at the sky? rather than down on your phone?!

<laugh> <laugh>

As in many things,one can see the funny side to it,but it,s really very sad!. :sad:

It,d be intrestin to know how many hrs a day,in some cases,maybe only minutes a day players practice. :chin: The way some perform,play,you,d think they only practiced for 20,30 mins,5 days a week.

I,m sure most would say,5,6 hrs,5,6 days a week and if thats true,well they aint damn good enough.,they don,t have the talent which is also important.

Some of course might practice more,some a bit less or even much less,and they think they,ve gotten there job done. :roll:

Oh,and it would also intrestin to know,how long players are on there phones,tablets,laptops and other digital stuff.

Of course,to each of there own as a saying goes.All this Digital stuff,Social Media is a BIG part of life these days,at least to most it is,but COME ONNN FFS!,if they wanna be successful,then they have to make certain sacrifices,and spending less time on it,will definatley benefit them.

Although in sayin this,some could practice for 12 hrs,7 days a week and they still would,nt make it.I,d be happy to be proved wrong though.

I admit,i,m on my phone,laptop most days,some days,for a good few hrs,but my goal aint to become a pro snooker player.I,m a happy bunny if i can sometimes rattle in a 20+ break and win more matches than i lose. :-D

Postby aimlesswandeer

Snooker must seem like awful hard work when you can appear on reality TV or make a few social media blogs/videos and become instantly wealthy and famous.

Youngsters had far fewer distractions back in the day, no wall to wall live sports, internet, video consoles etc.

I don’t think all the players that emerge from Q School are more talented than a Ben Mertens for example but they are better mentally prepared for the dogfight that is tour school. Not many players will pot and/or breakbuild their way through the draw.

Postby SteveJJ

aimlesswandeer wrote:Rosa vs Finbow with a combined age of 103...

Even in that one the older man won!

Postby aimlesswandeer

SteveJJ wrote:

He plays a mere pup, Jamie Brown, 41, in the next round.

Postby chengdufan

aimlesswandeer wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

WST website has it as James Brown from Birmingham, which I think is correct.
I think snooker.org erroneously has Jamie Brown from Australia in the draw.

Postby Wildey

chengdufan wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

I think snooker.org erroneously has Jamie Brown from Australia in the draw.

World Snooker has it as Jamie Brown in the Draw and James Brown from Birmingham in the profiles.

James Brown hasent played since 2011 where Jamie Brown has played in 13 Q Schools since 2016 so i conclude WST has made a cockerel up and Snooker.org is right.

Postby chengdufan

It would be good if someone could find out definitively. It's wreaking havoc with my spreadsheet! Not least because of the listed dates of birth :chuckle:

Postby Iranu

chengdufan wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

He’ll be hoping to stay on the scene.

Postby chengdufan

3-1 to Jones

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:
chengdufan wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

He’ll be hoping to stay on the scene.

Postby HappyCamper

chris totten a no show for his match.