Post a reply

Re: Q School 3 !!!

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:
Wildey wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:
csprince wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Has it been announced who the European, African, Asian and Pan American nominations are for this coming season? I'm assuming none held their normal qualification tournaments?

haven't heard anything as i normally visit the world snooker site every day the african nomination normally joins the tour late anyway because of when they play their tournament.

With there not being the big amateur tournaments this year there must be a few unfilled spots. I wonder if they’ll give out more than 2 OOM cards.

Theres 91 on Tour with top 64 and players on the second of their 2 years Cards meaning there are 37 spots to make it 128 howver on here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E2%8 ... ker_season it says 36 which makes it 127 with 5 international spots still not filled.

Snooker Scene intimated there would be continental nominations. Whether thats true or an assumption i don't know.

You'd think if they are nominating without a qualifying tournament happening that it won't be anyone who has been at q school, as why would you waste someones expense entering if you were going to nominate them regardless?

Yes exactly. You guys have highlighted yet another systemic problem the WST have gotten themselves into by lack of foresight. If they allocate tour cards for 'continental champions', but aren't in control of organising those tournaments, then they should have rules in place to determine what happens if those tournaments don't take place, or if the winner decides not to accept the tour card (like Pankaj Advani). Players need this information in order to decide whether to travel to the UK during a global pandemic, at considerable expense and inconvenience (weeks spent in preparation and quarantine).

I've suggested 1-year cards from the OM, but even 3-month cards would make sense, for the status reasons I mentioned in an earlier post.

Postby csprince

as i said in an earlier post the african qualifier tends to join the party late anyway i think they will just have 3-7 from the q school top up list

Postby The_Abbott

Billy Joe Thornton is through to the final round

Postby csprince

The_Abbott wrote:Billy Joe Thornton is through to the final round

i think you mean billy bob castle.

Postby The_Abbott

csprince wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Billy Joe Thornton is through to the final round

i think you mean billy bob castle.

He's also known as the Rook. Not to be confused with the Rock

Postby The_Abbott

Hammad Miah must be hoping Duane Jones and Lei Peifan qualify to boost his chances.

Postby csprince

shame about dave finbow feels like he has unfinished business with the tour. also occurred to me in earlier in q school isn't tony knowles deserving of an invitational tour card (not that i agree with them) hearn opened a can of worms that didn't need opening.but a former world no2 ranking tournament winner semi finalist at the crucible more than once. cv similar to james wattana (who i loved watching in his prime) and share a birthday with

Postby Wildey

Mark Lloyd
Luke Pinches
Ian Burns
Simon Blackwell
Lei Peifan
Sanderson Lam
Billy Joe Castle
Dave Finbow
Ross Bulman
Haydon Pinhey
Mitchell Mann
Dean Young
Duane Jones
Michael White
Si Jiahui
Joshua Cooper
Hammad Miah

Only 16 players left now

Postby csprince

q school has been a bit anti climatic this year with no new faces having qualified even though i do like some of the qualifiers would like to see michael white get his place back and si jiahui but we need some new faces on the tour.

Postby aimlesswandeer

csprince wrote:q school has been a bit anti climatic this year with no new faces having qualified even though i do like some of the qualifiers would like to see michael white get his place back and si jiahui but we need some new faces on the tour.

Dean Young, 19, 3-1 up on Mitchell Mann, and if he holds on he’ll play Pinhey, 24, or Bulman, 19, for a spot on tour.

Postby csprince

aimlesswandeer wrote:
csprince wrote:q school has been a bit anti climatic this year with no new faces having qualified even though i do like some of the qualifiers would like to see michael white get his place back and si jiahui but we need some new faces on the tour.

Dean Young, 19, 3-1 up on Mitchell Mann, and if he holds on he’ll play Pinhey, 24, or Bulman, 19, for a spot on tour.

fair enough.

Postby stanley_

I find it crazy that there are currently only 10 new players qualified for next season and only two of those have never been pros before (Ng On Yee and Wu Yize). We'll have at least one more out of Young/Bulman/Pinhey and potentially Blackwell/Lloyd but it's not exactly encouraging for the future of the sport.

Postby aimlesswandeer

stanley_ wrote:I find it crazy that there are currently only 10 new players qualified for next season and only two of those have never been pros before (Ng On Yee and Wu Yize). We'll have at least one more out of Young/Bulman/Pinhey and potentially Blackwell/Lloyd but it's not exactly encouraging for the future of the sport.

I don’t think this season is much worse than most other seasons, other than the lack of EPBSA nominees.

Postby The_Abbott

I maybe wrong but I think win or lose Duane Jones is back on tour.

Postby SteveJJ

The_Abbott wrote:I maybe wrong but I think win or lose Duane Jones is back on tour.

May be an advantage for his opponent

Postby csprince

The_Abbott wrote:I maybe wrong but I think win or lose Duane Jones is back on tour.

i think lei peifan as well.

Postby GeF

Lei Peifan too.

Postby lhpirnie

aimlesswandeer wrote:
stanley_ wrote:I find it crazy that there are currently only 10 new players qualified for next season and only two of those have never been pros before (Ng On Yee and Wu Yize). We'll have at least one more out of Young/Bulman/Pinhey and potentially Blackwell/Lloyd but it's not exactly encouraging for the future of the sport.

I don’t think this season is much worse than most other seasons, other than the lack of EPBSA nominees.

Well, it is worse than previous seasons, but actually I think we shouldn't be worried just yet. 2020-21 was a season wrecked by covid. The amateur players didn't have any matches, and almost no practice facilities. It was always going to massively favour relegated pros, or experienced former-pros who know how to get through matches.

I do agree that there could be a looming crisis in snooker, but I just think that this Q School is a special case, because of covid.

Postby csprince

GeF wrote:

Lei Peifan too.

great minds.

Postby cupotee

but duane jones and lei peifan should be aware about the integrity side and play their best for hammad miah too i guess ?

Postby lhpirnie

cupotee wrote:but duane jones and lei peifan should be aware about the integrity side and play their best for hammad miah too i guess ?

Yes. Another example of WST's failure to design a fair structure. Lei Peifan and Duane Jones have no incentive to win their match.

Postby csprince

cupotee wrote:but duane jones and lei peifan should be aware about the integrity side and play their best for hammad miah too i guess ?

they have been put in an unfair position it's perfectly natural to not give 100% if you know you are already through

Postby badtemperedcyril

I've been searching for a Order of Merit list but without success.

Am I correct to say there's 14 tour spots from Q School? 12 outright qualifiers from the three events plus 2 more from the Order of Merit list?

Postby csprince

badtemperedcyril wrote:I've been searching for a Order of Merit list but without success.

Am I correct to say there's 14 tour spots from Q School? 12 outright qualifiers from the three events plus 2 more from the Order of Merit list?

you are correct. the order of merit is on snooker.org

Postby badtemperedcyril

csprince wrote:shame about dave finbow feels like he has unfinished business with the tour. also occurred to me in earlier in q school isn't tony knowles deserving of an invitational tour card (not that i agree with them) hearn opened a can of worms that didn't need opening.but a former world no2 ranking tournament winner semi finalist at the crucible more than once. cv similar to james wattana (who i loved watching in his prime) and share a birthday with

Wattana's was as much for his global impact as his tournament wins. He was the flag bearer for what was the start of the boom in the Far East. Plus he'd only just dropped off the tour - Knowles has been essentially retired for the past twenty years.

Postby csprince

badtemperedcyril wrote:
csprince wrote:shame about dave finbow feels like he has unfinished business with the tour. also occurred to me in earlier in q school isn't tony knowles deserving of an invitational tour card (not that i agree with them) hearn opened a can of worms that didn't need opening.but a former world no2 ranking tournament winner semi finalist at the crucible more than once. cv similar to james wattana (who i loved watching in his prime) and share a birthday with

Wattana's was as much for his global impact as his tournament wins. He was the flag bearer for what was the start of the boom in the Far East. Plus he'd only just dropped off the tour - Knowles has been essentially retired for the past twenty years.

fair point but hendry was offered/given one even though he'd been retired a while.
Last edited by csprince on 13 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby csprince

badtemperedcyril wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=46

:bowdown:

i helped as well your welcome. ;-)