Post a reply

Q School 1 !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 27th of May~Tuesday 2nd of June at Ponds Forge International Sports Centre, Sheffield

After the Carnage of Q School 2020 where they crammed 3 Q School in to 7 days its going to be played at a more leisurely pace of 18 days this year with 14 spots up for grabs 4 spots from winning their section in each event and 2 spots through the Order of Merit.

A few famous names from Snookers Past Tony Knowles who will be 66 on the last day of Q School and 58 year old Dean Reynolds who reached 2 ranking finals both in 1989 and had the humiliation of losing 10-0 to Steve Davis in the Grand Prix that year will be trying to get back on tour.

Only 7 players from China taking part this year but quite a few from Europe including players from Spain, Russia and France.

Who Qualifies?

DRAW
ORDER OF PLAY

Q School 2021

Postby SteveJJ

With the deadline for entry to Q School passing today we will soon learn who has entered.

Of people not on tour this season, I've seen on twitter that the following will be having a go:

Michael Georgiou
Alfie Burden
Rebecca Kenna

Of those who fell off the tour this season - here is who might enter (my views rather than based on anything concrete).

I'd assume the following will enter:
Ian Burns, Yuan Sijun, Luo Honghao, Eden Sharav, Jackson Page, Daniel Wells, Mitchell Mann, Duane Jones, James Cahill, Rod Lawlor, Sia Jiahui, Peter Lines, David Lilley, Barry Pinches (confirmed on twitter), Sohail Vahedi, Lei Peifan, Bai Langning, Brandon Sargeant, Fraser Patrick, Billy Joe Castle, Riley Parsons

Others not so sure about:

Kacper Filipiak - alluded to quitting after being knocked out of the Worlds. Whether that was a spur of the moment decision or not we will find out. A shame if he isn't giving it another crack.

Alex Borg - hasn't he been relegated some ridiculous number of times from the tour? Maybe this will be one time too many for Malta's number one.

Others unlikely to see:
Steve Mifsud
Mei Xiwen
Amine Amiri - may hinge if he is in/able to get into the country for this.

Obviously, McManus has retired and Marco Fu joins Jimmy in getting a wild card.

Of the above, you have the traditional yo-yo players who fall off/get back pretty much straight away - Wells, Lawlor, Mann, Pinches, Cahill. Will be a new experience for Burns. I hope Langning qualifies as he was supposedly affected by travel restrictions this season but showed his worth in the World qualifiers. It would be a shame if Yuan Sijun didn't make it either.

Will the World Seniors champ be able to get back on the tour?

Which greats and not so greats of yesteryear will give it a go?
Will we have much of a foreign contingent this year? - Assume we may have those who entered the world qualifiers but unsure of how many others.

14 places up for grabs this year with the action starting on 27th May at Ponds Forge.

Re: Q School 2021

Postby Reg Varney

I thought Burden had retired? Made a big deal on Twitter about how he was calling it a day. Guess he's done an about turn then.

Postby SteveJJ

Reg Varney wrote:I thought Burden had retired? Made a big deal on Twitter about how he was calling it a day. Guess he's done an about turn then.

Yes it appears so...unless he was taking the proverbial on twitter about entering

Postby HappyCamper

Reg Varney wrote:I thought Burden had retired? Made a big deal on Twitter about how he was calling it a day. Guess he's done an about turn then.

yes. he 'retired' last year then ended up entering q school last summer anyways.

Postby SteveJJ

Daniel Kandi, Mark Lloyd, Andrew Milliard look likely entrants.

Phil O'Kane was looking for a sponsor to enter last week

Postby mick745

I suppose it is too much to ask that a set of fresh faced, raw but talented teens qualify instead of the same old "yo yo" pros?

I would like to see some different nationalities emerging. I wonder if LBM will enter?

Postby GeF

mick745 wrote:I wonder if LBM will enter?

?

Live Black Matter ?

Postby chengdufan

Little Ben Mertens

Postby SnookerEd25

Luis Boa Morte? :chin:

Postby SteveJJ

mick745 wrote:I suppose it is too much to ask that a set of fresh faced, raw but talented teens qualify instead of the same old "yo yo" pros?

I would like to see some different nationalities emerging. I wonder if LBM will enter?

I suspect he will, alongside Ochoiski, Leclercq, Nuessle, Kakovsky, Kowalski (if recovered)

Postby mick745

SteveJJ wrote:
mick745 wrote:I suppose it is too much to ask that a set of fresh faced, raw but talented teens qualify instead of the same old "yo yo" pros?

I suspect he will, alongside Ochoiski, Leclercq, Nuessle, Kakovsky, Kowalski (if recovered)

Recovered from what?

Postby SteveJJ

mick745 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:

Recovered from what?

I think he pulled out of the world qualifying due to a broken wrist

Postby Alex0paul

Probably needs an income

Postby SteveJJ

badtemperedcyril wrote:Don't forget Tony Knowles is making a comeback

Is he still the housewives favourite?

Postby badtemperedcyril

SteveJJ wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Don't forget Tony Knowles is making a comeback

Is he still the housewives favourite?

The grannies like him

Postby The_Abbott

I wonder if Paul Burrell will try again or stay on as a butler.

Postby chengdufan

The deadline for entries was Monday morning, but WST still haven't announced the draw.
A more competent organisation would at least have put up a notice saying the deadline has passed, thank you to those who entered, and the draw will be announced at x o'clock on the yth.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:The deadline for entries was Monday morning, but WST still haven't announced the draw.
A more competent organisation would at least have put up a notice saying the deadline has passed, thank you to those who entered, and the draw will be announced at x o'clock on the yth.

Yes. Most of the participants will have to take time off work and book hotels and travelling. There's no reason for the delay, I'm sure they had logistics plans in place before the deadline (number of tables etc.).

Postby Running side

Looks like Murphy had a boil wash and shrunk.

Postby chengdufan

So, we've gone a full work week since the entry deadline.
On wst.tv we have the Shaun Murp minime entry story and...

Entry for Q School is open now and the deadline is Monday May 10th at 12 noon.

Postby SteveJJ

chengdufan wrote:So, we've gone a full work week since the entry deadline.
On wst.tv we have the Shaun Murp minime entry story and...

Entry for Q School is open now and the deadline is Monday May 10th at 12 noon.

Yep. You'd think at least we'd know when the draw was going to be published

Postby SteveJJ

The draw is out!

Peter Geronimo has entered. Great name.

Tony Knowles, Michael Judge and Dean Reynolds there.

No Amiri or Borg. Anyone else significant missing?

Fair amount of overseas players considering the difficulties.

Postby lhpirnie

196 players. Only 2 from China and none from Thailand (Quid Phetmalaikul has dual nationality). Only one woman, Becky Kenna. I guess this is all expected because of the disruption. As always, quite a few names from the past, hoping for yet another comeback...

Good news is all matches best-of-7. Not so good is the tournament structure, where they've failed to solve the 'byes' problem for QS2 and QS3. This is actually made worse by the seeding strategy, but only just. Unfortunately, the Order of Merit really matters, as there are two tour cards available and top-ups are very common these days. It's still very unfair how that is calculated, but I guess they have no ideas how to fix it.

The relegated pros should have an even bigger advantage, as they have at least had tournaments to play in. Outside the pro game there's been nothing for 14 months.