Post a reply

Re: CBSA qualifying event 1

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:Zhang and Wu the heavy favourites. <ok>

Yes. Zhang a former pro. While Wu Yize won a couple matches in last year's world champ qualifiers.

Postby lhpirnie

I'm very happy about this result. Zhang was extremely unlucky in his first spell as a professional. He missed several tournaments with beaurocratic and travelling difficulties. When he returned to China in March 2020 after the covid outbreak, he had to quarantine for 14 days in Shanghai after the international flight. He then flew to Yibin in Sichuan, his hometown, and had to quarantine for another 14 days. He tweeted (on weibo) "my spirit is broken...". He missed both World Championships.

During his time in the UK, he worked very hard on his technique at the Q House Academy in Darlington, coached by Mike Dunn. Definitely he deserves another chance to build on the improvements he made. He's one of the most popular characters amongst the Chinese players.

Postby chengdufan

lhpirnie wrote:I'm very happy about this result. Zhang was extremely unlucky in his first spell as a professional. He missed several tournaments with beaurocratic and travelling difficulties. When he returned to China in March 2020 after the covid outbreak, he had to quarantine for 14 days in Shanghai after the international flight. He then flew to Yibin in Sichuan, his hometown, and had to quarantine for another 14 days. He tweeted (on weibo) "my spirit is broken...". He missed both World Championships.

During his time in the UK, he worked very hard on his technique at the Q House Academy in Darlington, coached by Mike Dunn. Definitely he deserves another chance to build on the improvements he made. He's one of the most popular characters amongst the Chinese players.

I love this, thanks for the info. I had no idea he was from Yibin. I've been there 5 times, most recently last year. It's a beautiful part of the world. The city runs around the enormous Wuliangye Baijiu factory (Chinese liquor) and everyone in the surrounding area knows someone who works there. The factory is larger than many English towns!

I have a lot of happy memories of the people in Yibin, who are generally very outgoing and friendly.

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:
I have a lot of happy memories of the people in Yibin, who are generally very outgoing and friendly.

with that much baiju it's no wonder.

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

with that much baiju it's no wonder.

True! rofl

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:I love this, thanks for the info. I had no idea he was from Yibin. I've been there 5 times, most recently last year. It's a beautiful part of the world. The city runs around the enormous Wuliangye Baijiu factory (Chinese liquor) and everyone in the surrounding area knows someone who works there. The factory is larger than many English towns!

Yes, he says he really missed UK and hopes to come back. That's a great attitude, because it can't be easy to leave his homeland. His prayers have been answered. He had a tough draw, with Zhang Anda, Fang Xiongman, Ju Reti, Chen Ruifu in his section.

Postby lhpirnie

Wu Yize has beaten Pa Ruke 4-1.

Wu has been close to qualifying before, but now he's done it, aged 17. He was considered a stronger player than Zhao Jianbo and Lei Peifan, who were in the same age-group. He is a tall thin potter, reminding me of a young Thepchaiya Un-nooh. There are several videos online of him making 147's in ridiculously short time. Perhaps he could threaten Ronnie's record?

Postby chengdufan

lhpirnie wrote:Wu Yize has beaten Pa Ruke 4-1.

Wu has been close to qualifying before, but now he's done it, aged 17. He was considered a stronger player than Zhao Jianbo and Lei Peifan, who were in the same age-group. He is a tall thin potter, reminding me of a young Thepchaiya Un-nooh. There are several videos online of him making 147's in ridiculously short time. Perhaps he could threaten Ronnie's record?

Thanks for the updates.

Wu Yize is very good to watch. He does tend to miss a lot of sitters and stick balls up though. He'll need to improve in that area.

I can't view the picture you shared I'm afraid.

Postby stanley_

Apparently only 39 entrants for event 2 with the following Round 1 results today (and the last 32 tomorrow):

Deng Jinhong 1-4 Feng Yu
Qiao Qiao 0-4 Au Chi-wai
Wang Zepeng 1-4 Cao Yupeng
Zhang Anda 4-0 Deng Fuyi
Guo Chuang 0-4 Wu Junchi
Huang Jiahao 4-1 Zhou Jun
He Guoqiang 4-1 Xie Jintao