Post a reply

Re: Q School 2020

Postby Alex0paul

Davison v McLeod is horrific

Postby vodkadiet1

Alex0paul wrote:Davison v McLeod is horrific

Well at least only one of them can get back on tour.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet1 wrote:

Well at least only one of them can get back on tour.

<laugh>

Postby vodkadiet1

Brian Ochoiski playing Farakh Ajaib and not Dylan Emery. Snooker.Org got it wrong.

Postby Wildey

Paul S Davison v Rory McLeo

Haydon Pinhey v Jamie Wilson

Brian Ochoiski v Farakh Ajaib

Steven Hallworth v Alfie Burden

Postby Wildey

Qualified from Q School 1

Lee Walker Wales Age 44 20th and 21st season on tour Turned Pro 1994/1995
Peter Devlin England Age 23 1st and 2nd season on tour Turned Pro 2020/2021
Simon Lichtenberg Germany Age 22 3rd and 4th season on tour Turned Pro 2018/2019
Fan Zhengyi China Age 19 3rd and 4th season on tour Turned Pro 2018/2019

Qualified from Q School 2

Jamie Jones Wales Age 32 12th and 13th season on tour Turned Pro 2006/2007
Zak Suerty England Age 28 3rd and 4th season on tour Turned Pro 2014/2015
Oliver Lines England Age 25 7th and 8th season on tour Turned Pro 2014/2015
Ben Hancorn England Age 38 1st and 2nd season on tour Turned Pro 2020/2021

Qualified from Q School 3

Jamie Wilson England Age 17 1st and 2nd season on tour Turned Pro 2020/2021
Farakh Ajaib England Age 29 1st and 2nd season on tour Turned Pro 2020/2021
Rory McLeod England Age 49 26th and 27th season on tour Turned Pro 1991/1992
Steven Hallworth England Age 24 3rd and 4th season on tour Turned Pro 2014/2015

Postby SnookerEd25

Gosh. And it promised so much. :chuckle:

Postby fridge46

Is there an OOM list available? I cant seem to find one and too lazy right now to make my own :zzz:

Postby Alex0paul

Gutted for Plymouth lad Haydon Pinhey

Postby GeF

fridge46 wrote:Is there an OOM list available? I cant seem to find one and too lazy right now to make my own :zzz:

Here.

White, Davison & Ochoiski top the list.
With last year rules (top 4 gets a 2 years card), Brian would have been on World Tour... :(
Last edited by GeF on 10 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby The_Abbott

I guess with the pandemic there was always going to be more British qualifying but sadly only a few new faces. Michael White will probably enter most competitions (taking Ronnie's predicted withdrawal from most events).

But everyone has to earn a living, even if they are not good enough to break into teh top 64.

Postby chengdufan

Brilliant to have an unknown 16 year old qualify in his first attempt at q school. Well done Jamie Wilson! I hope it's not too early for him.

Postby Wildey

chengdufan wrote:Brilliant to have an unknown 16 year old qualify in his first attempt at q school. Well done Jamie Wilson! I hope it's not too early for him.

It's never too early the sooner they gain experience the better back in the day the Likes of Ronnie had a lot of experience playing great youngsters and Amateurs that's not available these days

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:Brilliant to have an unknown 16 year old qualify in his first attempt at q school. Well done Jamie Wilson! I hope it's not too early for him.

A veteran compared to Boiko.
:gramp:

Postby Alex0paul

Michael White is another David Gray tbh

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:

It's never too early the sooner they gain experience the better back in the day the Likes of Ronnie had a lot of experience playing great youngsters and Amateurs that's not available these days

Well, that's not completely true. I can think of some players who really were too young, and it ruined their life. In Ronnie's day, there were 100's of weak players to beat (I was one of them!). Now it's extremely difficult for a 16-year old to win a match: they just end up getting slaughtered every week.

Postby lhpirnie

The_Abbott wrote:I guess with the pandemic there was always going to be more British qualifying but sadly only a few new faces. Michael White will probably enter most competitions (taking Ronnie's predicted withdrawal from most events).

But everyone has to earn a living, even if they are not good enough to break into teh top 64.

Well, even if Ronnie does play in everything, I don't expect Steve Mifsud to. Plus, there are 15 Chinese players missing indefinitely. Chances are that most of the Q Tour qualifiers will get a game in the early tournaments, and some near the top of the OM list will play a lot.

Some of the qualifiers won't earn much of a living. Probably half of these Q School qualifiers will earn less than £10k, at least until maybe the WC in April.

Postby lhpirnie

Alex0paul wrote:Michael White is another David Gray tbh

Yes, he's far too good to be off the tour. He's probably just freaked out under the huge pressure. Maybe he'll use this as a springboard to make a few changes.

I would also say Michael Georgiou is too good to be booted down, and Sam Baird and Zhang Anda are much stronger than many who are on the tour in 2020-21.

Good to see Jamie Jones and Oliver Lines back - they are worth a pro place. It nice for young Fan Zhengyi, who has stayed here by himself during the lockdown - he was just beginning to show signs of improvement after arriving as a disoriented kid. Simon Lichtenberg is good for the game, and may also develop into a decent player. And then the young talents Peter Devlin and Jamie Wilson (only 16!).

There's a few rank amateurs and a couple of old grinders, but then we always get them. The average age is 29.4, which is younger than last year but still on the old side, which remains a worry.

Postby snoopy2608

plus the tour currently has 127 players on it - so may be an automatic Q school top-up (or a wildcard for Ken Doherty)

Postby lhpirnie

snoopy2608 wrote:plus the tour currently has 127 players on it - so may be an automatic Q school top-up (or a wildcard for Ken Doherty)

Yes that would be the easy choice. A Chinese Q School would be a more difficult option, but a fairer one.

Postby The_Abbott

snoopy2608 wrote:plus the tour currently has 127 players on it - so may be an automatic Q school top-up (or a wildcard for Ken Doherty)

Ken will get a card I'm certain of that as much as Pink Ball was certain Ding would win the WC this year