Post a reply

Re: 2021 European Amateur Championships

Postby chengdufan

Interesting turn of events in the Callewaert v Duran match.

Duran got the Frenchman in a tricky snooker on the green. After the first attempt at an escape, miss was called and the balls were replaced. Callewaert I believe had the ref replace the balls in a position which was ever so slightly more advantageous to himself.
For the next few misses, Duran then insisted on a repositioning making it more difficult for the Frenchman.
After a few more misses, the scores had reversed and Duran was 14 points up. Callewaert facing the camera with his back to Duran had a whisper to the ref complaining about Duran's 'help' in replacing the balls.
One more miss from Callewaert and he conceded the frame pushing the remaining balls around the table.

For me, what was most interesting was that Duran had an easyish starter available on the green after each miss, including another possibility of taking the brown as a free ball in most instances. But with the blue in a tough spot he kept refusing it and having the balls replaced.

Postby chengdufan

This match is very tough going by the way, very much club standard and neither of these fellas are likely to be seen in the latter stages. I thought I'd be able to watch the best of 5, but at 2-1 after nearly 2 hours, it's time to go to sleep!

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:This match is very tough going by the way, very much club standard and neither of these fellas are likely to be seen in the latter stages. I thought I'd be able to watch the best of 5, but at 2-1 after nearly 2 hours, it's time to go to sleep!

Yes, the standard in these kinds of tournaments is always going to be very mixed. There are probably 10 players who have any chance whatsoever, and many of the rest are average club standard. In U18 events, you sometimes get 9-year olds turning up... If you're present at the venue, it's sometimes fun to pick out the better matches and players, but if you're depending on a single-table stream, anything is possible.

Postby cupotee

The thing about these sort ot matches is in many ways there’s more on the line than a lot of pro matches you’ll watch as the players here have very limited chances to get onto the pro tour so its understandable that they may be playing a more ‘ not to lose ‘ approach , some of the safety in that Callewaert v Duran was perfectly appropriate pro standard so its all pretty good really , they can be a little too cautious or conservative though , Steven Thomas could have won his match vs Shachar Ruberg 3 - 1 , a little too much caution and he wound up losing 3 - 2.

Postby chengdufan

Andre147 wrote:Table 1 for me this Saturday at 12pm and 2pm.

Good performance from the Portuguese referee in the Womersley game just now. The Turkish player got the finest brush on a red I've ever seen when escaping from a snooker at a critical stage in the last frame. The player himself wasn't sure if he'd hit it. The ref stated he had though with the absolute confidence you'd expect of a top ref. And he was of course spot on. I can think of a few higher profile refs who wouldn't have handled that situation so professionally.

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:

Good performance from the Portuguese referee in the Womersley game just now. The Turkish player got the finest brush on a red I've ever seen when escaping from a snooker at a critical stage in the last frame. The player himself wasn't sure if he'd hit it. The ref stated he had though with the absolute confidence you'd expect of a top ref. And he was of course spot on. I can think of a few higher profile refs who wouldn't have handled that situation so professionally.

:goodpost:

Postby cupotee

maybe i'm missing something but in case i'm not : message to the bright spark who runs the ebsa.tv website , could you ensure the match results don't escape into outer space once the match is completed , many thanks.

Postby Andre147

chengdufan wrote:

Thank you very much mate for the kind words, really appreciate it.

Postby chengdufan

We're down to the semi-finals

Sean O'Sullivan v 22 year-old Ivan Kakovskii of Russia on now. Kakovskii is 2-0 up and looking like a player.

Oliver Brown v Darren Morgan on the other side of the draw, playing later.

Postby cupotee

chengdufan wrote:We're down to the semi-finals

Sean O'Sullivan v 22 year-old Ivan Kakovskii of Russia on now. Kakovskii is 2-0 up and looking like a player.

Oliver Brown v Darren Morgan on the other side of the draw, playing later.

yes the Russian doesn't look bad , hope he gets his pro ticket.

Postby SteveJJ

And if Morgan gets to the final will likely be a guaranteed tour place for Kakovskii, win or lose in the final seeing as Morgan has shown no interest in rejoining the tour previously.

Postby Andre147

SteveJJ wrote:And if Morgan gets to the final will likely be a guaranteed tour place for Kakovskii, win or lose in the final seeing as Morgan has shown no interest in rejoining the tour previously.

Ivan will be hoping for that... currently at the pool.. Morgan is here too hahaha

Postby cupotee

SteveJJ wrote:And if Morgan gets to the final will likely be a guaranteed tour place for Kakovskii, win or lose in the final seeing as Morgan has shown no interest in rejoining the tour previously.

did he win a pro entry tournament previously and forsake his tour card , just curious when was that.

Postby SteveJJ

cupotee wrote:

did he win a pro entry tournament previously and forsake his tour card , just curious when was that.

He may not have...i made my comment based on the fact that hes consistently played at a high level in the amateur game and i don't think hes ever entered q school. I see some websites say he retired as a pro which if right suggests he wasn't planning to go back on tour.

Getting to the final might get Morgan a card for the world championship which would be interesting

Postby Raphael98

Andre147 wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

Thank you very much mate for the kind words, really appreciate it.

Indeed well done Andre, the future is certainly promising! Keep it up! :D

Postby gninnur karona

A gripping final which bears comparison with close encounters in the final round of World Championship qualifiers - Oliver Brown's gritty matchplay eventually wearing down the more fluent Ivan Kakovskii. Good luck to Oliver Brown and U21 champion Dylan Emery as they prepare to join the tour next summer. Commiserations to Ivan Kakovskii. Hopefully he can build on his performances this tournament, I was particularly impressed by his shot selection, and earn a tour card.