Post a reply

Re: Q School 2 : Europe & Asia/Oceania!!!!

Postby chengdufan

Lan Yuhao plays Haris Tahir for one of the spots tomorrow.

Lan lost to Liam Davies in the Semi-finals of the 2023 World U-21 Amateur Championships. He's 15 years old at the moment and won one of last season's China amateur tour events. (according to this article: https://www.sohu.com/a/782470206_121894852). I've only watched a few of his frames so far. Looks like one of those players who goes for absolutely everything and leaves his opponents plenty of chances, but has talent.

Tahir I believe is in his late 20s. He played in an U-21 tournament in 2017. I've seen him play a few times and am very surprised he's made it to this stage. This tournament he's been getting results I would never have expected. If he wins tomorrow, I'll be surprised if he makes an impact on tour.

Postby chengdufan

In the other game, Kreishh Gurbaxani plays Muhammad Naseem Akhtar.

Gurbaxani is 21. This is his fourth attempt at Q School and he hasn't had many good results before this tournament. He had a couple of goes at UK Q School and I saw him play as a 19 year-old. He didn't win any games that year, but he looked to be a decent player who had potential. His losses were to very good players, Peter Devlin, Connor Benzey and Stan Moody.

I haven't seen Akhtar play. He's another one who hasn't made an impact in previous Q Schools, but has always lost early to strong opponents. He's 23. I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays tomorrow.

Postby Tamctus

chengdufan wrote:Tahir I believe is in his late 20s. He played in an U-21 tournament in 2017. I've seen him play a few times and am very surprised he's made it to this stage. This tournament he's been getting results I would never have expected. If he wins tomorrow, I'll be surprised if he makes an impact on tour.

Tahir is a former Asian U21 championship runner up from 2018 so he has some pedigree. Although that was a weak year from what I recall with no Chinese entries.

Postby Tamctus

chengdufan wrote:In the other game, Kreishh Gurbaxani plays Muhammad Naseem Akhtar.

Gurbaxani is 21. This is his fourth attempt at Q School and he hasn't had many good results before this tournament. He had a couple of goes at UK Q School and I saw him play as a 19 year-old. He didn't win any games that year, but he looked to be a decent player who had potential. His losses were to very good players, Peter Devlin, Connor Benzey and Stan Moody.

Gurbaxani is an interesting prospect and what I've seen has some potential. This season he played some events on the Q tour and reached one quarter final beating Barry Pinches, Robbie McGuigan and Fergal Quinn along the way. He's beaten Nüssle, Saqib Nasir and Vladislav Gradinari as well this season so the boy can certainly play!

Postby chengdufan

snoopy2608 wrote:Haris Tahir is 24...date of birth is 9 April 2000
Only new player I don't have dob for is Jonas Luz who I think was born in 1985

What's your source for Tahir's dob?

Postby Wildey

2024 Full List of Graduates

Alllan Taylor England Age 39 11th and 12th season on tour Turned Pro 2013/2014
Mitchell Mann England Age 32 9th and 10th season on tour Turned Pro 2014/2015
Sunny Akani Thailand Age 28 7th and 8th season on tour Turned Pro 2015/2016
Farakh Ajaib Pakistan Age 33 3rd and 4th season on tour Turned Pro 2020/2021
Chris Totten Scotland Age 25 3rd and 4th season on tour Turned Pro 2017/2018
Wang Yuchen Hong Kong Age 26 3rd and 4th season on tour Turned Pro 2016/2017
Artemijs Zizins Latvia Age 17 1st and 2nd season on tour Turned Pro 2024/2025
Antoni KowalskiPoland Age 20 1st and 2nd season on tourTurned Pro 2024/2025
Haydon Pinhey England Age 27 1st and 2nd season on tour Turned Pro 2024/2025
Lim Kok Leong Malasia Age 29 1st and 2nd season on tour Turned Pro 2024/2025
Haris Tahir Pakistan Age 22 1st and 2nd season on tour Turned Pro 2024/2025
Kreishh Gurbaxani India Age 21 1st and 2nd season on tour Turned Pro 2024/2025

Average age of the 12 is 26.6

Postby haz_haxxan

Have seen a bit of Gurbaxani and he wasn't fantastic, although he's still very young. Surprised at these being the four Asian qualifiers tbh, they're a mixed bag from what little I've seen. Will be very interested to watch how they do, great to see new emerging guys on tour.