Post a reply

Re: Championship League Discussion!!!

Postby gcjdavid

Strange to see a Peter Ebdon fan around here, but then why did you like him if he grinds so freaking slowly and ends up making a 12 break in 5 minutes and missing a pink?

Postby vodkadiet

gcjdavid wrote:Strange to see a Peter Ebdon fan around here, but then why did you like him if he grinds so freaking slowly and ends up making a 12 break in 5 minutes and missing a pink?

At least Ebdon has some character. I admit he has at times been his own worst enemy and slowed matches down to his own detriment, but he will be remembered in years to come, even if many disliked him for what he did to O'Sullivan in 2005.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 02 Feb 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
gcjdavid wrote:Strange to see a Peter Ebdon fan around here, but then why did you like him if he grinds so freaking slowly and ends up making a 12 break in 5 minutes and missing a pink?

At least Ebdon has some character. I admit he has at times been his own worst enemy and slowed matches down to hi own detriment, but he will be remembered in years to come, even if many disliked him for what he did to O'Sullivan in 2005.

As much as I hate what Ebdon did in that match and the fact he did it on purpose, what is also true is he won it from 8-2 down and 10-6 down. It was up to Ronnie to counter those stupid tactics (like also taking far too long in the bathroom or whatever) that Ebdon employed, but fact remains Ronnie couldn't do it, so Ebdon at least deserves some credit for it.

He's a player I always respected, you don't become World Champ if you don't have a good game to compete at highest level, especially the way he did it winning 18-17 against Hendry.

Also, sometimes it's very nice to watch Ebdon's shot selection, as opposed to some of the top pros, he sometimes does unothordox shot selection, especially his safety shots.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

At least Ebdon has some character. I admit he has at times been his own worst enemy and slowed matches down to hi own detriment, but he will be remembered in years to come, even if many disliked him for what he did to O'Sullivan in 2005.

As much as I hate what Ebdon did in that match and the fact he did it on purpose, what is also true is he won it from 8-2 down and 10-6 down. It was up to Ronnie to counter those stupid tactics (like also taking far too long in the bathroom or whatever) that Ebdon employed, but fact remains Ronnie couldn't do it, so Ebdon at least deserves some credit for it.

He's a player I always respected, you don't become World Champ if you don't have a good game to compete at highest level, especially the way he did it winning 18-17 against Hendry.

Also, sometimes it's very nice to watch Ebdon's shot selection, as opposed to some of the top pros, he sometimes does unothordox shot selection, especially his safety shots.

I agree.

Postby vodkadiet

John Higgins will be looking to find his form this week at Crondon Park. This could turn his season around if he could win group 7, and get in the winner's group. Always an interesting battle with him and M J Williams. That is the best match of the group.

Postby Wildey

John Higgins has reached a all time low losing 3-2 to Fergal from 2-0 up in a CL Match

Postby Andre147

MJW v Higgins starting in 2 minutes, probably the only match I'll watch from this Group, maybe the Group Final as well.

Postby vodkadiet

Higgins and Dale cannot go through. If Ebdon loses to O'Brien he also fails to make the semi finals tonight.

Postby vodkadiet

Yet another maximum. I can see the day coming when tv presenter says "The first 2 frames were shared, a 147 a piece, now on to frame 3..."

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:John Higgins has reached a all time low losing 3-2 to Fergal from 2-0 up in a CL Match

Really?

I mean this is the CL we're talking about. I doubt any result in what is essentially a practice event could possibly be that significant.

Postby Andre147

Dale lost all of his matches and only won 4 frames in the whole 2 days rofl might as well not turn up at all, think that has to be a record for CL.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:John Higgins has reached a all time low losing 3-2 to Fergal from 2-0 up in a CL Match

Really?

I mean this is the CL we're talking about. I doubt any result in what is essentially a practice event could possibly be that significant.

John struggling to win matches is no pressure rubbish event. He has buck all chance when the heat is on.

Postby Andre147

Guodong wins Group 7 defeating Gilbert 3-0 in the Final.

Winners Group will contain Hawkins, Selt, Carter, Bingham, Woolaston, Mavis and now Guodong.

Would be nice if Guodong won the CL and earn a place at CoC next season.

Postby shankly

vodkadiet wrote:Yet another maximum. I can see the day coming when tv presenter says "The first 2 frames were shared, a 147 a piece, now on to frame 3..."

Time to tighten up the pockets.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Dale lost all of his matches and only won 4 frames in the whole 2 days rofl might as well not turn up at all, think that has to be a record for CL.

His accountant may disagree.

Postby lewispirnie

Well done to Xiao Guodong, on his 26th birthday. Also well done to Gilbert.

But for sure this tournament means more to players looking to establish themselves, gain confidence and acquire the winning 'habit'.

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:For anyone with masochistic tendencies this is Fergal O'Brien v Peter Ebdons match from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b2XCnVv_R0

I watched some bits of that on Youtube, funnily enough the slow death pace of play was more down to Fergal as on every shot, even the basic ones, he was taking well over 1 min each. Poor ref had to go through all that, 3 and a half hours for 5 frames rofl

Postby AC or LT?

Andre147 wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:For anyone with masochistic tendencies this is Fergal O'Brien v Peter Ebdons match from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b2XCnVv_R0

I watched some bits of that on Youtube, funnily enough the slow death pace of play was more down to Fergal as on every shot, even the basic ones, he was taking well over 1 min each. Poor ref had to go through all that, 3 and a half hours for 5 frames rofl

Surely it must be knocking on or itself be a record for a best of 5 match? But yeah Fegal O'Bren can make Peter Ebdon look fast.