Post a reply

Re: Championship League Discussion!!!

Postby vodkadiet

AC or LT? wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:For anyone with masochistic tendencies this is Fergal O'Brien v Peter Ebdons match from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b2XCnVv_R0

I watched some bits of that on Youtube, funnily enough the slow death pace of play was more down to Fergal as on every shot, even the basic ones, he was taking well over 1 min each. Poor ref had to go through all that, 3 and a half hours for 5 frames rofl

Surely it must be knocking on or itself be a record for a best of 5 match? But yeah Fegal O'Bren can make Peter Ebdon look fast.

O'Brien ruined his own chances of winning the group by taking this match as seriously as that. He only needed 1 frame to qualify for the semis. He then got thrashed in the semis as he had nothing left mentally.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:For anyone with masochistic tendencies this is Fergal O'Brien v Peter Ebdons match from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b2XCnVv_R0

I watched some bits of that on Youtube, funnily enough the slow death pace of play was more down to Fergal as on every shot, even the basic ones, he was taking well over 1 min each. Poor ref had to go through all that, 3 and a half hours for 5 frames rofl

Surely it must be knocking on or itself be a record for a best of 5 match? But yeah Fegal O'Bren can make Peter Ebdon look fast.

O'Brien ruined his own chances of winning the group by taking this match as seriously as that. He only needed 1 frame to qualify for the semis. He then got thrashed in the semis as he had nothing left mentally.

But as Mark Johnston Allen said on commentary, Fergal didn't know he only needed one frame to be in the playoffs, he really thought he had to win the match, hence him taking it so dead seriously. You could argue he should have informed himself prior to when the match started, but even if Fergal needed to win the match, he was taking far too long on very basic shots, as AC said, at times it made Ebdon look like a fast player.

Anyway, not that this matters much in a tin pot event, but yeah it must be close to a record for Best of 5 match, or maybe it broke the record I'm not quite sure.

Postby Wildey

As you would imagine Winners Group is a tight group with 5 players tied on 2 points and the other 2 on 1 point.

all to play for tomorrow

Postby Wildey

Thursday 12th of February

11am
Barry Hawkins v Ben Woollaston
Matthew Selt v Mark Davis

Followed by
Allister Carter v Ben Woollaston
Stuart Bingham v Xiao Guodong

2pm
Matthew Selt v Xiao Guodong
Barry Hawkins v Mark Davis

Followed by
Matthew Selt v Ben Woollaston
Allister Carter v Mark Davis

Followed by
Barry Hawkins v Stuart Bingham

Not Before 6pm
Semi Finals
1st vs 4th
2nd v 3rd

Followed by
Final

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:Haha good point AC/LT! I was watching all 4 matches online at one point <confused>

:dizzy: four at once? even a die hard snooker fan such as me wouldn't do that, especially since this is the CL after all pmsl

I'll watch the semis and the Final I think, just to see who earns that CoC spot. Since Xiao can't do it now, I hope Selty does it.

Postby Andre147

Play offs places pretty much decided now.

Bingham needs to win 3-0 against Hawkins to replace him in 4th place, otherwise it's Hawkins, Woolaston, Mavis and Selty, 4th to 1st place respectively.

Bingham currently leads 1-0 v Hawkins.

Postby AC or LT?

Not sure how you can enjoy watching 4 matches at one. I'll watch two at a time on occasion at majors but 4 is crazy.

Anyway the Hawkins v Bingham match to get other with then we can move onto the showpiece. Hopefully Selt will come up trumps. Don't expect this to go on much beyond half eight to nine.

Postby Andre147

Bingham leads 2-0 v Hawkins, so this basically means whoever wins this next frame earns a place in the play-offs.

Postby Andre147

lol, Bingham needed to win 3-0 against Hawkins and he did just that, both are on 3 points but Bingham won one more frame than Hawkins.

Play-offs:

Selty v Bingo - 1st v 4th
Mavis v Woolaston 2nd v 3rd

Hopefully Selty wins the whole thing now, him or Woolaston would be very nice.

Postby Andre147

Woolaston 2-0 ahead.

Ronnie was spot on when he beat him at UK Champs, he said Ben's cue action is very similar to the Late Paul Hunter's one, and it really is. :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:So it's Bingham v Davis, has to be said not the final I expected.

Yes me too AC, Mavis cameback from 2-0 down, just like he had done against Ronnie in Group 5.

A shame neither Selty or Ben can win this now.

Not too fussed who wins it, I prefer Mavis a tad cause Bingo will likely be there regartheless if he wins it ot not.

Postby AC or LT?

Andre147 wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:So it's Bingham v Davis, has to be said not the final I expected.

Yes me too AC, Mavis cameback from 2-0 down, just like he had done against Ronnie in Group 5.

A shame neither Selty or Ben can win this now.

Not too fussed who wins it, I prefer Mavis a tad cause Bingo will likely be there regartheless if he wins it ot not.

I've never really got into Mavis's style of play to be honest, he's always a bit too methodical. It's not the sort of slowness that certain players *cough*O'Brien*cough* are afflicted with but it's to me anyway unnecessary deliberation often without the kind of rewards you'd see with the same deliberation from the higher ranked guys like Selby. For that reason I'd rather not see him at the champion of champions.

Postby Andre147

CL Final is going down to the very last frame, as Bingo levels at 2-2 with a century.

One frame to decide who gets a place at CoC.