Post a reply

Re: World Seniors Championship Qualifiers 2015

Postby DMCtoon

Agree to an extent, but every year that this is played it seems to become more popular and more players seem to want to take part in it. At the end of the day it's prize money and opportunity of a "World Championship" title that many won't manage to get in their careers.

Postby Cloud Strife

DMCtoon wrote:Agree to an extent, but every year that this is played it seems to become more popular and more players seem to want to take part in it. At the end of the day it's prize money and opportunity of a "World Championship" title that many won't manage to get in their careers.

It also offers a relatively easy passage into the CoC.

Postby Wildey

For thoes that are interested this event will be streamed on Liveworldsnooker.tv over the weekend of 20th and 21st of December.

Streaming Matches in the first Round

Tony Drago v Rory McLeod
Alan McManus v Steve Meakin
Joe Perry v Andrew Alexandrou
Jamie Rous v Tony Knowles
David Roe v Joe Swail
Mark King v Barry Pinches

Blast from the past there Tony Knowles (20 years a pro) http://www.cuetracker.net/Players/Tony- ... Statistics and David Roe (24 years a pro) http://www.cuetracker.net/Players/David ... Statistics

Postby vodkadiet

Wildey wrote:Steve Meakin was a pro for about 10 years and has played Ronnie O'Sullivan twice.

I saw him lose a world qualifier at Preston in 1989 from 9-4 up against Paddy Browne!

Postby shankly

PoolBoy wrote:No Stephen Hendry this year?!

He doesn't enjoy it if he can't win, remember? No way is he beating MJW/McManus/Perry. Or maybe he's off in China earning more money. Or maybe he just fancied a holiday to Tenerife.

Postby Cannonball

Ridiculous. No-one should be able to enter until they're 50. 40 is too young, you won't get on a bus for free at 40!

Postby Cloud Strife

Cannonball wrote:Ridiculous. No-one should be able to enter until they're 50. 40 is too young, you won't get on a bus for free at 40!

They bent the rules for Hendry last year. And now the organizers have been left with egg on their faces because Hendry's stuck two fingers up to the event this year by not entering.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Cannonball wrote:Ridiculous. No-one should be able to enter until they're 50. 40 is too young, you won't get on a bus for free at 40!

They bent the rules for Hendry last year. And now the organizers have been left with egg on their faces because Hendry's stuck two fingers up to the event this year by not entering.

Hendry did very well by not entering it :clap:

Complete farce having 40s able to enter. Even Ronnie will be able to in 2016 rofl

Postby vodkadiet

Wildey wrote:Its a fun event so it shouldn't be open to tour players

Fun?!! Did you see the relief on O'Brien's face when he completed a 31 clearance to win on the black against Wilkinson? Players like O'Brien take this very seriously. Not only is it his best chance to win a trophy, but it would gain him a place in next season's Champion of Champions Cup.

Postby PoolBoy

The 2014 season is officially over with the conclusion of the Seniors qualifiers.
The 5 players who qualified today, to join the 11 already in the last 16 were:
    Dominic Dale
    Rory McLeod
    Fergal O'Brien
    Paul McPhillips
    Darryn Walker

Postby ANGLO

I'm glad Hendry isn't playing. Great champions like him should not demean themselves and play in events like this. Leave it to the also-rans who were never quite good enough in the first place.

Postby PoolBoy

Just realised john Parrott is in it!
I could have sworn he said his cue was retired for life! Although, he did jokingly comment about Ronnie being eligible next year (or soon) - "heaven help us if he enters the seniors"! I assumed by 'us' he was just being flippant - I wonder how often he plays these days. He's been retired a while now without being tempted to enter this.
Also, I don't understand how Mark Williams is in there. He's only 39!! SENIORS! Probably 40 when it comes around.
But, If 40 is the age for the seniors, there should be a 'veterans' championship for over 55s!
Best of 1 frame obviously!
Even Jimmy would be too young to enter that for a few years yet!
It would be a straight semi-final line-up of Joe Johnson, Cliff Thorburn, Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis.
That's what it should be about. Dropping the limit to 50 would allow the likes of Parrot and Jimmy White in.
But 45 is too low in my book - and 40 is just a joke.
Maybe I'm taking it too seriously - it's effectively an exhibition but a lot of those guys will be taking it seriously - apart from Dennis obviously, who'll try to get a cheap laugh by turning-up to break-off with his glasses upside down!

Postby TheSaviour

PoolBoy wrote:Just realised john Parrott is in it!
I could have sworn he said his cue was retired for life! Although, he did jokingly comment about Ronnie being eligible next year (or soon) - "heaven help us if he enters the seniors"! I assumed by 'us' he was just being flippant - I wonder how often he plays these days. He's been retired a while now without being tempted to enter this.
Also, I don't understand how Mark Williams is in there. He's only 39!! SENIORS! Probably 40 when it comes around.
But, If 40 is the age for the seniors, there should be a 'veterans' championship for over 55s!
It would be a straight semi-final line-up of Joe Johnson, Cliff Thorburn, Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis.
That's what it should be about. Dropping the limit to 50 would allow the likes of Parrot and Jimmy White in.
Maybe I'm taking it too seriously - it's effectively an exhibition but a lot of those guys will be taking it seriously - apart from Dennis obviously, who'll try to get a cheap laugh by turning-up to break-off with his glasses upside down!

Good points! We need to remember that there are several tours going on. And anyone can find some a very interesting reading on internet regarding these things. Some years ago I remember well reading an article "Marat Mikhailovic Safin, a mentally tortured genius". It was a great reading! He is and was so interesting when he occasionally greatly brushed people like Roger Federer, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Guillermo Coria, David Nalbandian and Juan Carlos Ferrero aside on a tennis court. When he was going for it.. And then his mental troubles and issues outside the tennis court.

Postby vodkadiet

TheSaviour wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Just realised john Parrott is in it!

Good points! We need to remember that there are several tours going on. And anyone can find some a very interesting reading on internet regarding these things. Some years ago I remember well reading an article "Marat Mikhailovic Safin, a mentally tortured genius". It was a great reading! He is and was so interesting when he occasionally greatly brushed people like Roger Federer, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Guillermo Coria, David Nalbandian and Juan Carlos Ferrero aside on a tennis court. When he was going for it.. And then his mental troubles and issues outside the tennis court.

Safin is a politician now! He was the rebel on the tennis circuit! His best matches were against Sampras in The US Open final, and Federer in the 2005 Aus Open semi.

Postby SnookerEd25

Not true. I'm 41, and got a free ride this morning (Oyster reader was broken!) :D

Postby Andy Spark

Snooker Overdrive wrote:http://www.prosnookerblog.com/2014/12/09/world-seniors-championship-qualifiers-2015-draw-and-format-released/

Very strange to see that Alan McManus, Dominic Dale and especially Joe Perry have entered. Perry is a ranking event finalist and is playing at the Masters, surely the Seniors isn't about these kind of players competing with the old guard.

Yes, the whole raison d'etre for the event is that great players past their best are not having to compete against the very best. If Ronnie is eligible next year, as either the official world number one or still the best player in the world by most peoples reckoning, that really would make the event a farce. I can't believe World snooker or the WPBSA haven't thought of that, what are they doing dropping the age limit to 40! :hmmm: Maybe they think Ronnie will decline within a year, it's certainly possible, but on the balance of probabilities unlikely.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:Yes, the whole raison d'etre for the event is that great players past their best are not having to compete against the very best. If Ronnie is eligible next year, as either the official world number one or still the best player in the world by most peoples reckoning, that really would make the event a farce. I can't believe World snooker or the WPBSA haven't thought of that, what are they doing dropping the age limit to 40! :hmmm: Maybe they think Ronnie will decline within a year, it's certainly possible, but on the balance of probabilities unlikely.

Though I agree that tour players, especially ones in the top-16 shouldn't be allowed to enter, it's not something I'm going to lie awake at night worrying about.

The Snooker Legends can't be a good laugh, but it has no real importance in snooker calendar. They let tour players in originally so David and Jimmy White could be there, then lowered the age so Hendry could be there.

This tournament is an exhibition event, so at the end of the day, they can do what they want. If they want to have players at their peak enter, and beat the crap out of players like Dennis Taylor, it'll make the tournament look a bit daft, but it won't really matter.