Post a reply

Re: Betway World Seniors Championship

Postby Goldenballs147

JP potted a few balls there that I was certain he would have missed. First time watching the Seniors so maybe I'll be more pleasantly surprised than I think I will be.

Never saw a snooker player using a bridge like Thorburn either.

Postby SnookerEd25

Goldenballs147 wrote:JP potted a few balls there that I was certain he would have missed. First time watching the Seniors so maybe I'll be more pleasantly surprised than I think I will be.

Never saw a snooker player using a bridge like Thorburn either.

I assume he's using the 'loop' bridge, more common among Pool players. Can't watch it, i'm at work :sad:

Postby PoolBoy

Impressive from JP!
Interesting that he said he was up at 5.30am this morning, nervous. Playing his first competitive match in 6 years - and it's live on TV. Knocked in 48 and 53 in the two frames.
Joe Johnson's just knocked in a half-century. No questioning the standard so far.
I liked Steve Davis's thinly veiled dig at the new 40-year-of-age criteria, and the fact that Mark Williams is competing despite being only 39! Same age as John Higgins and Ronnie.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Just looking back at some of these names - Mark Williams

Who here can remember that run he had to the Semi-Finals of the Welsh Open back in February 2015?

Yeah, I think he also reached a Final right after that, but it was such a long time ago I can't remember rofl

Fading Memory suggests to me that it was that Australian, Robertson who won that

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:Mark Williams match has been moved to 10pm from 7

Some three hours closer to his fortieth birthday then

Postby Andre147

conors9 wrote:Anyone else think the table playing a bit slow? Cushions look that way, from my limited watching!

The cloth is actually quite fast, it's the cushions that are reacting a bit slow, but that is much better than big bounces, Dale said exactly the same thing in his post-match interview.

Postby Andre147

Isn't it ironic how things work at times :chuckle:

On paper, the longest match, ends up being the quickest, half an hour.

O'brien with a pot sucess of 99%, 2 back to back tons to win 2-0.

Wonder when was the last time he had 2 sucessive tons, must be donkey doo years.

Great performance from him. :hatoff:

Postby Andy Spark

Why has Mark Williams entered this? He's only 39. I've never liked Mark and I don't like him even more now. He's taking advantage of the age limits and he's not even within the +40 age limit. >-(

Postby Andre147

Well, MJW looking visibly knackered, wins 2-0 with a total clearance of 140 in the last frame :bowdown:

He described this over 40 bullocks thing perfectly: "Would be nice to be Champion of an over 40 event at 39 years of age" <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:Why has Mark Williams entered this? He's only 39. I've never liked Mark and I don't like him even more now. He's taking advantage of the age limits and he's not even within the +40 age limit. >-(

He can enter because he turns 40 THIS season, Higgins and Ronnie can't enter because they only turn 40 next season.

Postby Andre147

SavoMilosevic wrote:Phil Yates just said John Higgins is not playing because he is not allowed to do so, but he is 40 this season, isn't he? Willo just knocked a 140. <laugh>

No, Higgins turns 40 on 18th of May, 2 weeks after the season has finished.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Why has Mark Williams entered this? He's only 39. I've never liked Mark and I don't like him even more now. He's taking advantage of the age limits and he's not even within the +40 age limit. >-(

He can enter because he turns 40 THIS season, Higgins and Ronnie can't enter because they only turn 40 next season.

Well, when Ronnie was asked by Steve Davis if he dare to take advantage of the silly low age limit for the seniors next year, he said "no". That is the way it should be. Barry Earn and World snooker got it wrong (when do they ever get it right!) but the top players don't have to take advantage of their ineptitude.

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Well, when Ronnie was asked by Steve Davis if he dare to take advantage of the silly low age limit for the seniors next year, he said "no". That is the way it should be. Barry Earn and World snooker got it wrong (when do they ever get it right!) but the top players don't have to take advantage of their ineptitude.

You can't really blame MJW, if I were in his place I would do exactly the same thing, enter this and earn me more money.

It's WS fault for letting a situation like this happen.

I do hope MJW wins it now, it will make a total mockery of the event with a player still aged 39 winning an over 40 event.

Maybe if MJW does win it they'll increase the limit again to 45 next season.

Postby Andy Spark

You are right there. I'm 37, am I almost "senior"? No, of course not! I can still slam a few balls in, last week I knocked in four long blues in succession in a match. You don't lose your snooker marbles at 39. :party:

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:

You've changed your tune.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5786

You spotted my joke! :-)

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Apparently this is the 500th professional tournament that Jimmy White has entered.

But only the 239th he can remember...

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:MJW serving for the title

what a month he is having

welsh open SF, PTC final and WC final

WC Seniors Final <laugh> pmsl

But yes he's playing well no doubt and that's good to see.

Mind you, I definately think they should increase the limit to 45 next season again.

It's not MJWs fault, but he's not even 40 and he's already won the Seniors Title.

I dont think it's right Higgins and Ronnie are eligible to enter next season.

If it remains 40 then so be it, but it's definately the wrong decision.

Postby SavoMilosevic

The tournament was a joke, but Mark was cueing lovely. I've always thought he hits the ball a lot softer when he's confident and in form and that was the case these two days. Hope he plays even better in the remaining tournaments.