Post a reply

Re: General Cup

Postby Wildey

Joe Perry 2-1 up on Jimmy White

Joe Perry made a 136 to win frame 2 after Jimmy made a 78 in the opener.

Postby Wildey

Joe Perry goes 3-1 up on Jimmy White

Postby Wildey

Jimmy White takes a scrappy 5th frame with a fluked Final red

Postby PoolBoy

Mother was asking me "why are you always checking snooker scores for a tournament you said wasn't that important? If it's not a ranking event, what is it? Just some general cup?"
"You got it!"

Postby Wildey

Well Tell your Mother Jimmy has leveled at 3-3 from 3-1 down

Postby Wildey

Joe Perry took the decider 64-45 and beat Jimmy White 4-3

in the final Group Match Shaun Murphy remains unbeaten after a 4-2 win over Marco Fu.

Semi Final Line up is

Mark Davis v Ali Carter
Shaun Murphy v Joe Perry

Postby Clara8633

Aww, Jimmy White was close. I think Murphy will win this one too.

Postby Wildey

Ali Carter goes 3-2 up with a break of 139.

remember the semis are best of 11 and the final best of 13

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:Mother was asking me "why are you always checking snooker scores for a tournament you said wasn't that important? If it's not a ranking event, what is it? Just some general cup?"
"You got it!"

You should get your mum to join this forum. :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Ali Carter has reached the Final of the General Cup with a 6-2 win over Mark Davis he will play either Shaun Murphy or Joe Perry

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:Ali Carter has reached the Final of the General Cup with a 6-2 win over Mark Davis he will play either Shaun Murphy or Joe Perry

Would be a good achievment from Carter after all he's been through to go on and win this event, beating some quality opposition along the way, and it would certainly be a confidence booster ahead of some big tournaments.

Postby Clara8633

Carter will play against Murphy tomorrow - Murphy won 6-5 against Joe Perry, making a top break of 144.

Postby Wildey

in the final Shaun Murphy and Ali Carter are all square at 3-3 at the Break in a best of 13 Final.

Ali Carter took the first frame and in the second frame Ali made a 68 before Shaun hit back with a 61 up to the final pink then a few safeties on the Pink before Ali took the frame.

Shaun Murphy hit back to win the next 2 frames to make it 2-2 before a Break of 112 from Ali meant he re takes the lead at 3-2 and the final frame before the break Murphy made a quality 90 to keep in touch.

Postby Clara8633

Come on Ali! I don't want Murphy to win another tournament.

Postby TheSaviour

Clara8633 wrote:Carter will play against Murphy tomorrow - Murphy won 6-5 against Joe Perry, making a top break of 144.

Joe doesn´t have a cat, so he probably had to kick his neighbour after that defeat.

Postby Wildey

Murphy won the next 2 frames to go 5-3 up but back comes Carter with a 69 and a 99 to draw level again at 5-5

Postby Wildey

Murphy re takes the lead at 6-5 one away from winning

Postby Clara8633

TheSaviour wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:Carter will play against Murphy tomorrow - Murphy won 6-5 against Joe Perry, making a top break of 144.

Joe doesn´t have a cat, so he probably had to kick his neighbour after that defeat.

Surely the Gentleman wouldn't do that xD

Postby Wildey

A 101 from Carter and its down to a decider

Postby Wildey

Ali Carter wins the General Cup beating Shaun Murphy in the final 7-6.

Postby Clara8633

Yay! That was brilliant stuff from Carter :)

Postby Skullman

Well done Ali. Looked like he was scoring pretty well throughout. Hopefully good signs for him the next few events.

Postby Wildey

Next tournament for him could be the Champion of Champions.....im of the opinion he doesent deserves a spot however they have rewarded spots for 6 reds, Shootout and World Seniors so on that basis he is more worthy of a place.

Postby Skullman

Well he's an event winner and it could look bad if Hearn refused to take him, especially as he's won the event. Although isn't there a decent chance for him to get in anyway as a ranking top up?

Postby PoolBoy

Terrific for Ali to win after what he endured. To be playing to such a high level after a long lay-off is incredible. I'm sure he was, rightfully, a bit emotional after the match.

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:Terrific for Ali to win after what he endured. To be playing to such a high level after a long lay-off is incredible. I'm sure he was, rightfully, a bit emotional after the match.

I remember Higgins a few seasons ago when he returned to competitive play after his ban he won his very first tournament, a PTC tournament beating Holt in the Final.

He would go on to have one if not the most sucessful season of his career, winning the UK, Welsh Open and World Champs, after his father had died too.

This is a much lesser tournament in terms of importance, but a win is a win and Ali deserves it, he beat some quality oppostion and I'm also of the opinion it would be nice if he were allowed to play in the Champion of Champions tournament.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Well he's an event winner and it could look bad if Hearn refused to take him, especially as he's won the event. Although isn't there a decent chance for him to get in anyway as a ranking top up?

yesterday people were full of sentimental crap wanting him to get in based on illness.

i will never back that bullocks but now as a tournament winner its different.

Postby Clara8633

Unfortunately Carter's win won't get him into the Champion of Champions, but the rankings might help.

Postby Roland

Wildey wrote:
Skullman wrote:Well he's an event winner and it could look bad if Hearn refused to take him, especially as he's won the event. Although isn't there a decent chance for him to get in anyway as a ranking top up?

yesterday people were full of sentimental crap wanting him to get in based on illness.

i will never back that bullocks but now as a tournament winner its different.

Yes we all heard you on Twitter. How about the fact that if the remaining 4 places are based on ranking, that Carter is currently 5th on that list and would no doubt have been higher had he not become seriously ill? Of course then he wouldn't have won anything so could be open to the "He hasn't won anything" jibes and the one which is the main argument against the so called "Champion of Champions" entrance criteria.

The man nearly died, and he's come back. After the tragedy of Paul Hunter a few years ago this is a positive cancer comeback story and with the gloss of the COC being on ITV with all the effort they put in to producing a high quality television snooker production, the biggest names should be there and at the moment Carter is the one player generating most of the snooker headlines since the World Championship.

Therefore it's not "sentimental crap" to suggest handing him a spot in the COC and I doubt any player would begrudge him playing in it. He is a top player who can play to the standard that belongs in such an event, he would probably have qualified anyway had he not become ill, and the event carries no ranking points and ultimately less meaning than the proper ranking events. It's purely an invitational event.

Handing Carter a spot would be a gesture and a one off, a show of support and a chance for the public to share in his story and show him their appreciation and give him the lift which he fully deserves.