Post a reply

Which ranking event will Ronnie win this season?

World Grand Prix
4%
Welsh Open
4%
Players Championship
8%
Tour Championship
4%
China Open
4%
World Championship
38%
He won't win a ranking event
38%

Total votes : 26

Will Ronnie win a ranking event this season?

Postby Ash147

We're over half way through the season now, and Ronnie has yet to win a ranking event. The question is will Ronnie win a ranking event at some point during the remainder of the season, and if so which one(s)?

Re: Will Ronnie win a ranking event this season?

Postby Johnny Bravo

He'll win the WC, I will make sure of that. Here's my plan: since lately ROS seems to don't give a buck about winning, I'll kidnap his kids and blackmail him by threatening their physical integrity if he doesn't train his bottom off and win the WC. Then he'll be forced to do it instead of coming there with that bad attitude. :mosh:

Postby Andre147

Ash147 wrote:
D4P wrote:I voted for "The Shoot Out".

Firstly, I doubt Ronnie will even bother to enter it. Secondly. it shouldn't count as a ranking event anyway.

Yeah he wont enter and it should have remained a fun event, not carrying ranking points.

I still watch it, but Hearn did make a wrong move there, probably that and the UK Champs.

Postby D4P

Erza Scarlet wrote:It's either the WC or nothing this season, no in-between. That's my feeling on it.

This is how I see it, too. Ronnie's going all-in on the WC this season, and doesn't want to waste resources on other events.

The only other ranking event he might be conflicted about is the Tour Championship, since he's the defending champion and it's a big event. But he might not qualify for it, anyway...

Postby Erza Scarlet

D4P wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:It's either the WC or nothing this season, no in-between. That's my feeling on it.

This is how I see it, too. Ronnie's going all-in on the WC this season, and doesn't want to waste resources on other events.

The only other ranking event he might be conflicted about is the Tour Championship, since he's the defending champion and it's a big event. But he might not qualify for it, anyway...

Yep remains to be seen how he decides to play in the ITV events but wouldn't surprise me if he gave less attention to them this time around. Welsh Open and China Open - no chance lol

Do you think he also believes he can only win 1 Triple Crown event a season? Something he picked up on by fans or whatever. Since 2012 that's been the case, maybe one of the reasons why he skipped the Masters. :chin:

Postby D4P

Erza Scarlet wrote:Do you think he also believes he can only win 1 Triple Crown event a season? Something he picked up on by fans or whatever. Since 2012 that's been the case, maybe one of the reasons why he skipped the Masters. :chin:

I think that Ronnie definitely believes that winning the Masters this season would decrease his chances of winning the WC. Winning would take up some of his energy* and also increase expectations for him to perform at the Crucible, which he doesn't want. I think Ronnie wants to go into the WC this season as an underdog or dark horse as much as possible, which is why he isn't trying to win other events this season. By winning 5 titles in each of the past 2 seasons, the expectations for him to perform at the Crucible reached a level that he wasn't comfortable with...

On a related note, it's remarkable that Ronnie has won his 19 TC events across 18 different seasons, when you consider that Hendry and Davis each only had 10 seasons with at least one TC win. Put another way, Ronnie holds the record for "most seasons with at least one TC win" at 18, and second place is all the way down at 10.

*I get the impression that winning is difficult for Ronnie, not in the snooker sense, but in the psychological/emotional sense. Winning attracts a lot of attention (e.g. media, interviews, etc.) and also places more pressure on the winner to keep winning. Ronnie only has a limited about of energy for dealing with all of the attention that comes with winning, and I think he learned over the past 2 seasons that he had used up that energy by the time he showed up at the Crucible. Part of his strategy this season appears to be trying to save up his energy for the WC as much as possible...

Postby Erza Scarlet

D4P wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:Do you think he also believes he can only win 1 Triple Crown event a season? Something he picked up on by fans or whatever. Since 2012 that's been the case, maybe one of the reasons why he skipped the Masters. :chin:

I think that Ronnie definitely believes that winning the Masters this season would decrease his chances of winning the WC. Winning would take up some of his energy* and also increase expectations for him to perform at the Crucible, which he doesn't want. I think Ronnie wants to go into the WC this season as an underdog or dark horse as much as possible, which is why he isn't trying to win other events this season. By winning 5 titles in each of the past 2 seasons, the expectations for him to perform at the Crucible reached a level that he wasn't comfortable with...

On a related note, it's remarkable that Ronnie has won his 19 TC events across 18 different seasons, when you consider that Hendry and Davis each only had 10 seasons with at least one TC win. Put another way, Ronnie holds the record for "most seasons with at least one TC win" at 18, and second place is all the way down at 10.

*I get the impression that winning is difficult for Ronnie, not in the snooker sense, but in the psychological/emotional sense. Winning attracts a lot of attention (e.g. media, interviews, etc.) and also places more pressure on the winner to keep winning. Ronnie only has a limited about of energy for dealing with all of the attention that comes with winning, and I think he learned over the past 2 seasons that he had used up that energy by the time he showed up at the Crucible. Part of his strategy this season appears to be trying to save up his energy for the WC as much as possible...

Nice post :-)

I did see once on Twitter about Ronnie's record with the WC when he is the fav and it's terrible lol but these days he'll always be one of the favs. It's a big risk just like 2013 but if anyone can then he can.

Whatever happens he'll pick it back up next season for sure when his ranking starts to falter.

Postby D4P

Erza Scarlet wrote:

I did see once on Twitter about Ronnie's record with the WC when he is the fav and it's terrible lol but these days he'll always be one of the favs. It's a big risk just like 2013 but if anyone can then he can.

This is a conundrum for Ronnie. He wants to be an underdog, but he can't be because he's too good and too successful. The only way he can lower expectations is to take a year off to work on a farm or play kamikaze snooker for an entire season and skip major events altogether.

I think it's no mere coincidence that Ronnie's last 2 WC wins were won when expectations were low, and it's also no mere coincidence that he hasn't won for the past several years when expectations were high...

Postby Erza Scarlet

D4P wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:

This is a conundrum for Ronnie. He wants to be an underdog, but he can't be because he's too good and too successful. The only way he can lower expectations is to take a year off to work on a farm or play kamikaze snooker for an entire season and skip major events altogether.

I think it's no mere coincidence that Ronnie's last 2 WC wins were won when expectations were low, and it's also no mere coincidence that he hasn't won for the past several years when expectations were high...

Yep also it's a knock on effect from 2014. He's never been the same at the Crucible after that loss because I don't remember Ronnie ever saying before 2014 that it was better to lose in the 1R than in the final or something like that, it only came after that loss which changed his entire mentality.

People take it differently I suppose. Didn't stop Higgins from reaching final after final which is admireable.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

D4P wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:He'll need a title during the spring to give him some momentum like in 2012.

He didn't need any momentum in 2013...

He wasn't playing in any tournaments which at least meant he wasn't getting beat all the time.

Postby D4P

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
D4P wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:He'll need a title during the spring to give him some momentum like in 2012.

He didn't need any momentum in 2013...

He wasn't playing in any tournaments which at least meant he wasn't getting beat all the time.

True, though I think "getting beat all the time" is a bit extreme. Ronnie has the 2nd-highest match-win percentage on tour this season (behind Trump) and it's not as if he is trying his hardest to win. I doubt he feels bad when he loses while playing kamikaze style. On the contrary, I think he's probably encouraged that he can make it as far as a final (at the NI Open) while playing low-percentage shots and very little safety...

Postby Erza Scarlet

Probably but that period was different than now I think. In that 2 year period before winning the German Masters he was in the worst snooker period of his life, his game wasn't there at all to win anything apart from a bunch of Premier League titles. He had no confidence.

Atm it's not a confidence issue, he's just willingly playing exhibition style snooker and still took Robertson, Ding and Selby to a decider who all went to become the eventual champions of their tournaments. Fine margins.

Postby Andre147

Erza Scarlet wrote:

Probably but that period was different than now I think. In that 2 year period before winning the German Masters he was in the worst snooker period of his life, his game wasn't there at all to win anything apart from a bunch of Premier League titles. He had no confidence.

Atm it's not a confidence issue, he's just willingly playing exhibition style snooker and still took Robertson, Ding and Selby to a decider who all went to become the eventual champions of their tournaments. Fine margins.

And onw frame away from also forcing Trump to a decider in the NI Open Final.

I agree his game is way better now than it was between late 2010 and 2011, but still a ranking event title might boost his confidence.

Still think he might win one of the Coral events before a crack at the Worlds.