Post a reply

Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Yes
8
67%
No
4
33%
 
Total votes : 12

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:This is part of the inferiority complex snooker has. Lots of people watch tennis without ever playing it. Same with boxing, MMA, athletics, football, rugby... But for some reason, snooker is only worth watching if you play it yourself.


Very true. And even more so, some people come up with the ideia that you only understand the game if you played it before.

Thats bullocks. Yes it's good if you play it yourself from time to time, but you dont necessarly have to play it to understand. That's like saying we can only understand the Holocaust if we lived in that time.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:This is part of the inferiority complex snooker has. Lots of people watch tennis without ever playing it. Same with boxing, MMA, athletics, football, rugby... But for some reason, snooker is only worth watching if you play it yourself.


Very true. And even more so, some people come up with the ideia that you only understand the game if you played it before.

Thats bullocks. Yes it's good if you play it yourself from time to time, but you dont necessarly have to play it to understand. That's like saying we can only understand the Holocaust if we lived in that time.


Fully agree.

I learned far more from watching it than from playing actually. By watching the topplayers play day in and day out with former players commentating the matches I learned everything about Positional play, shot selection, screws,stuns, using side and whatever. I didnt need to make a century break first to understand it.

Just an example. Even though I play much less pool nowadays than lets say 10 years ago my game is superior now than it was in the past. Simply because of all the knowledge I gained from watching Snooker over the years.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Ash147

I know that because of watching Snooker, I had a big advantage when I decided to get into playing pool. I knew how to grip the cue properly, how my bridge hand was supposed to be and how to have a solid stance. As well as that, I understood what I needed to do in order to manoeuvre the cue ball. It gave me a great advantage over anyone who had no prior knowledge of the sport. I remember starting off with a couple of friends, neither of whom watched snooker, and they really struggled with the simple things that snooker had taught me. I started off with a better understanding of how to play, and whilst I dont play as much now, I'm still by far the better player of the three of us.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:I was in a pub watching rugby, and my mates told me my opinions meant nothing as I hadn't played. So I spear-tackled a woman walking to the jacks.

That made me laugh (which hurts as I pulled a muscle in my side during heat three of the pole vault)

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:I was in a pub watching rugby, and my mates told me my opinions meant nothing as I hadn't played. So I spear-tackled a woman walking to the jacks.


I was going to say you're chatting rubbish, but I don't play the game so my opinions aren't worth jack anyway.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:I'm going to order a prostitute, then I'm going to deliver her a pizza and accept sex as payment.

I really want to understand that porn I'm watching tonight.


That's some low quality porn.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'm going to order a prostitute, then I'm going to deliver her a pizza and accept sex as payment.

I really want to understand that porn I'm watching tonight.


That's some low quality porn.

Or a very high-quality pizza delivery service.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'm going to order a prostitute, then I'm going to deliver her a pizza and accept sex as payment.

I really want to understand that porn I'm watching tonight.


That's some low quality porn.

Or a very high-quality pizza delivery service.


How do I apply to go on Dragon's Den?

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'm going to order a prostitute, then I'm going to deliver her a pizza and accept sex as payment.

I really want to understand that porn I'm watching tonight.


That's some low quality porn.


I'm surprised a man who has as many girlfriends as you knows anything about porn.

#runningjoke

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'm going to order a prostitute, then I'm going to deliver her a pizza and accept sex as payment.

I really want to understand that porn I'm watching tonight.


That's some low quality porn.


I'm surprised a man who has as many girlfriends as you knows anything about porn.

#runningjoke


High energy.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:In the 80s the pockets seemed massive, I've also seen many balls deopping in at that time that were miles out. Even the legends from back then, Davis, Taylor, Griffiths have acknowledged this.

Difference from today is cloths were much thicker, and with the fine cloths of today it's much more easier from them to drop. I believe pockets have become generous, and this started from 2009 onwards at the Worlds Champs. But for some reason pockets in China tournaments, not all but most, seem tighter.


The pockets were massive in the 2009 Worlds. Reds on the cushion directly behind the black spot were being hammered in and players were playing for position on the blue. Hendry's maximum that year was helped on at least one of the key shots near the end.

I also remember Andrew Higginson making a maximum at The Welsh in 2007 and one black off one of the last reds was sucked in by the pocket.

The tables in the 90s were the best.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:In the 80s the pockets seemed massive, I've also seen many balls deopping in at that time that were miles out. Even the legends from back then, Davis, Taylor, Griffiths have acknowledged this.

Difference from today is cloths were much thicker, and with the fine cloths of today it's much more easier from them to drop. I believe pockets have become generous, and this started from 2009 onwards at the Worlds Champs. But for some reason pockets in China tournaments, not all but most, seem tighter.


The pockets were massive in the 2009 Worlds. Reds on the cushion directly behind the black spot were being hammered in and players were playing for position on the blue. Hendry's maximum that year was helped on at least one of the key shots near the end.

I also remember Andrew Higginson making a maximum at The Welsh in 2007 and one black off one of the last reds was sucked in by the pocket.

The tables in the 90s were the best.


:goodpost: