Post a reply

Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Yes
8
67%
No
4
33%
 
Total votes : 12

Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Ash147

After BSP's discussion about pockets, I thought I'd ask the question.

Do you think the pockets on the professional tables have become bigger, or at least more accepting than they were more than 10 years ago?

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:
rekoons wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I find them to be smaller and less accepting.


<laugh> sais the man who hasn't ever played once


It's the view from a neutral perspective. <laugh>


:shock: :shock: :shock:

How is that possible ? :dizzy:
SF, have u really never ever played snooker ? :hmmm: :?

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:I once had a go on a half size table.

:-(
And ? Where u at least any good at it ????

SnookerFan wrote:I watched a bit of boxing on Saturday despite never having boxed.
I'm crazy like that.

Yea, but your name ain't BoxingFan, is it ?!?
It's bloody SnookerFan. You are supposed to play man. What is wrong with you ???
You don't know what you are missing. :sad:

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:Yea, but your name ain't BoxingFan, is it ?!?
It's bloody SnookerFan. You are supposed to play man. What is wrong with you ???
You don't know what you are missing. :sad:


Image

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Yea, but your name ain't BoxingFan, is it ?!?
It's bloody SnookerFan. You are supposed to play man. What is wrong with you ???
You don't know what you are missing. :sad:


Image


pmsl :goodpost:

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Andre147

In the 80s the pockets seemed massive, I've also seen many balls deopping in at that time that were miles out. Even the legends from back then, Davis, Taylor, Griffiths have acknowledged this.

Difference from today is cloths were much thicker, and with the fine cloths of today it's much more easier from them to drop. I believe pockets have become generous, and this started from 2009 onwards at the Worlds Champs. But for some reason pockets in China tournaments, not all but most, seem tighter.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Andre147

Ironically, one of the tighter pockets I've seen recently actually came at The Shoot-Out last season.

Yes, The Shoot-Out, of all tournaments!

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:In the 80s the pockets seemed massive, I've also seen many balls deopping in at that time that were miles out. Even the legends from back then, Davis, Taylor, Griffiths have acknowledged this.

Difference from today is cloths were much thicker, and with the fine cloths of today it's much more easier from them to drop. I believe pockets have become generous, and this started from 2009 onwards at the Worlds Champs. But for some reason pockets in China tournaments, not all but most, seem tighter.

I agree and when I see some balls potted on TV I am amazed because they would not go in on the table I use.

But it makes sense if it is the cloth that makes the difference. The baize on my table is marmite

I believe that we have got the answer here - the pockets are less generous on pro tables but the cloths compensate for this.

Some really good posts on this thread - cheers all.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I once had a go on a half size table.

:-(
And ? Where u at least any good at it ????

SnookerFan wrote:I watched a bit of boxing on Saturday despite never having boxed.
I'm crazy like that.

Yea, but your name ain't BoxingFan, is it ?!?
It's bloody SnookerFan. You are supposed to play man. What is wrong with you ???
You don't know what you are missing. :sad:


It is on the boxing sites I used to post on.

The half size table was just me titting about, not playing an actual game.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:You should only watch sports that you play.

I won't be posting much today as I am on day 2 of my decathlon as I would like to watch this event in the Olympics next year.

I'm looking to join a women's beach volleyball team...

:hatoff:

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:You should only watch sports that you play.

I won't be posting much today as I am on day 2 of my decathlon as I would like to watch this event in the Olympics next year.

I'm looking to join a women's beach volleyball team...


Well, we are in the year 2019 now. They'd be a bunch of bigots if they didn't let you join.

Re: Are the pockets bigger/more accepting now?

Postby Ash147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:You should only watch sports that you play.

I won't be posting much today as I am on day 2 of my decathlon as I would like to watch this event in the Olympics next year.

I'm looking to join a women's beach volleyball team...


Well, we are in the year 2019 now. They'd be a bunch of bigots if they didn't let you join.


Image