Post a reply

Who do you rate as the better player?

Peter Ebdon
7
64%
Shaun Murphy
4
36%
 
Total votes : 11

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Ash147

It's Ebdon. He faced much tougher opposition in his prime, and he's still won more than Murphy. The only thing he's missing from his CV is a Masters win.

Also, Ebdon was one of only two players to beat Hendry in the final of the Worlds.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ash147 wrote:It's Ebdon. He faced much tougher opposition in his prime, and he's still won more than Murphy. The only thing he's missing from his CV is a Masters win.

Also, Ebdon was one of only two players to beat Hendry in the final of the Worlds.


Smurf has a much higher peak. He may not be as good tactically, but his potting and breakbuilding are far superior to that of Ebdon.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:Agree about the Hendry part. Hendry made more centuries than he'd ever done before that year and also beat prime Ronnie in the semis. Ebdon beating him in the final was a major achievement.


What are you talking about ? <doh> :hmmm: :?
Ronnie was not in his prime back then. He only became a complete player after he learned the safety and tactical aspect of the game from Reardon.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Iranu

Ebdon also had fewer tournaments to go at in his prime. Although Murphy’s gonna end up with more rankers than him.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Agree about the Hendry part. Hendry made more centuries than he'd ever done before that year and also beat prime Ronnie in the semis. Ebdon beating him in the final was a major achievement.


What are you talking about ? <doh> :hmmm: :?
Ronnie was not in his prime back then. He only became a complete player after he learned the safety and tactical aspect of the game from Reardon.



I agree that his safety/tactical game improved after working with Reardon and in 2004 he was on a different level.

But he was still the defending World Champion in 2002 and one of the Top 2 or 3 players. Not the one dimensional guy he was in the 90's.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Agree about the Hendry part. Hendry made more centuries than he'd ever done before that year and also beat prime Ronnie in the semis. Ebdon beating him in the final was a major achievement.


What are you talking about ? <doh> :hmmm: :?
Ronnie was not in his prime back then. He only became a complete player after he learned the safety and tactical aspect of the game from Reardon.



I agree that his safety/tactical game improved after working with Reardon and in 2004 he was on a different level.

But he was still the defending World Champion in 2002 and one of the Top 2 or 3 players. Not the one dimensional guy he was in the 90's.


IMO he still was, although not to the same extent. 2004, 2012 and 2013 are the closest versions to a peak Ronnie.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Ebdon, comfortably


Both at 100%, Smurf beats him comfortably.

Probably true, but Ebdon was usually far closer to his best on a far more consistent basis than Murphy. Ebdon carved out a fine career against better players than Murphy faced.

Murphy’s the man in a best-of-7 shitfest though.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Ebdon, comfortably


Both at 100%, Smurf beats him comfortably.

Probably true, but Ebdon was usually far closer to his best on a far more consistent basis than Murphy. Ebdon carved out a fine career against better players than Murphy faced.

Murphy’s the man in a best-of-7 shitfest though.


I agree with what you said about consistency and careers, but when deciding who is better between 2 players it all boils down to who would win when both are at 100%.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Ash147

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Ebdon, comfortably


Both at 100%, Smurf beats him comfortably.

Probably true, but Ebdon was usually far closer to his best on a far more consistent basis than Murphy. Ebdon carved out a fine career against better players than Murphy faced.

Murphy’s the man in a best-of-7 shitfest though.


This exactly.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby rekoons

Who had the best career, given his ability? - Ebdon
Who would be beating the other most when both playing at their best? - Murphy

Who is the better player? - depends On your favourite selection criteria

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby sas6789

rekoons wrote:Who had the best career, given his ability? - Ebdon
Who would be beating the other most when both playing at their best? - Murphy

Who is the better player? - depends On your favourite selection criteria

Don't agree there, Ebdon would tie up and frustrate Murphy big time.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Johnny Bravo

sas6789 wrote:
rekoons wrote:Who had the best career, given his ability? - Ebdon
Who would be beating the other most when both playing at their best? - Murphy

Who is the better player? - depends On your favourite selection criteria

Don't agree there, Ebdon would tie up and frustrate Murphy big time.


He'd probably tie him, but Smurf scores a lot heavier when given the occasion, thus reaching the finish line first.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
rekoons wrote:Who had the best career, given his ability? - Ebdon
Who would be beating the other most when both playing at their best? - Murphy

Who is the better player? - depends On your favourite selection criteria

:goodpost:


+1

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
sas6789 wrote:
rekoons wrote:Who had the best career, given his ability? - Ebdon
Who would be beating the other most when both playing at their best? - Murphy

Who is the better player? - depends On your favourite selection criteria

Don't agree there, Ebdon would tie up and frustrate Murphy big time.


He'd probably tie him, but Smurf scores a lot heavier when given the occasion, thus reaching the finish line first.

Ebdon was a pretty heavy scorer in his day. He’s 14th on the all time centuries list.

I don’t think “who would win if both are at 100%” is a fair judgement of who’s a better player, personally. As others have said, consistency matters. As do the ability to handle pressure, conditions. Some players also just match up badly to others. Who knows if this would be the case with Murphy and Ebdon.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Pink Ball

Would you prefer a woman who gives you brilliant head once out of 20 times, good-but-not-spectacular head ten times out of 20, rubbish head five times out of 20, but can’t even be bothered finishing four times out of 20?

Or would you prefer a trooper who gives you very good head 15 times out of 20, decent head three times out of 20, and might not be on form the other two times but won’t stop til she’s given it her level best?

Easy call.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Would you prefer a woman who gives you brilliant head once out of 20 times, good-but-not-spectacular head ten times out of 20, rubbish head five times out of 20, but can’t even be bothered finishing four times out of 20?

Or would you prefer a trooper who gives you very good head 15 times out of 20, decent head three times out of 20, and might not be on form the other two times but won’t stop til she’s given it her level best?

Easy call.


So you're saying you want Murphy to give you a blowy?

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Would you prefer a woman who gives you brilliant head once out of 20 times, good-but-not-spectacular head ten times out of 20, rubbish head five times out of 20, but can’t even be bothered finishing four times out of 20?

Or would you prefer a trooper who gives you very good head 15 times out of 20, decent head three times out of 20, and might not be on form the other two times but won’t stop til she’s given it her level best?

Easy call.


So you're saying you want Murphy to give you a blowy?


It sounds like he wants Ebdon to give him one. :bj: